DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SetCPU Vs Petes V1.1 CPU script

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid

SetCPU Vs Petes V1.1 CPU script

I know this has been a back and forth debate for a while now, and I planed on posting this question on the V1.1 page.. but considering 5 new posts are added to that page every second lol i figered id just start a new thread on it

firstly, before making any changes at all to petes roms I always install them first as he recomends. run it for a few hours to make sure theres no issues then start adding my costom themes or whatever.

so I installed V1.1 with the 1200 LV kernal. it runs like a champ but ofcorse being that the CPU is running at twice what it was built to do theres alot of extra heat. one of the apps I use to test out how fast or how high the temp of the CPU will go is a game called "the elements" from the market. its by far the most CPU intence app I have. after making no changes at all to the Rom and running this app for around 1 minute my CPU temp got up to around 160F. now, I dont know what the CPU can handle but that seems extreamly high to me. once testing this out, I removed the CPU comands in the pete script and installed setcpu. ran the app again, it got up to around 120 then the failsafe kicked in and trottled down the cpu as its ment to do.... but, the downside is setcpu runs in the background using more battery.

so in all this explaining ill get to the point! my question is, is the script that governs the CPU ment more for the 800 and lower clock speeds? I would prefer to not have to use a 3rd party app if I dont have too and I guess I want the best of both worlds, saving battery life along with managable temps. so is there something I could try or do or is the way I have it set up pretty much the way I have to keep it inorder to keep my phone from melting lol

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I to would like to know the answer to this.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Ive been wondering too about how exactly petes script works, since I originally disabled it in favor of setCPU, but in light of recent issues with it I think I may go back to petes script.

As for the temps 160F is pretty high but its not extremely damaging/about to melt down (the OMAPs fail point is around 200-220F IIRC), Ive had mine up to 178F for a few minutes, but I wouldnt recommend keeping it above 130F for sustained amounts of time.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    If I uninstall SetCPU and reboot will Pete's scripts kick in?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well 160F is 71c which is pushing the safety barrier of the CPU in the Droid. Granted it can operate at that temp but not for any sustained amount of time. I am going to try this game out on BB v1.0 w/ BEkit 800 Mhz kernel and see what kind of temps I get.

EDIT: Downloaded and played the game, which is remarkably amusing, for 2 minutes and peaked and held at 43c which comes to 109F. Mind you this is with the 800 Mhz kernel and running Pete's script. My guess is that the 1.2 Ghz kernel is a bit too much for your Droid. Seeing that even with SetCPU the failsafe kicked in because it continued to heat up. I would suggest going to the 1 Ghz kernel and see how things work for you. Also note that the 800 Mhz kernel is REALLY fast.
    Last edited by Darkseider; 05-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by zathus View Post
    I know this has been a back and forth debate for a while now, and I planed on posting this question on the V1.1 page.. but considering 5 new posts are added to that page every second lol i figered id just start a new thread on it

firstly, before making any changes at all to petes roms I always install them first as he recomends. run it for a few hours to make sure theres no issues then start adding my costom themes or whatever.

so I installed V1.1 with the 1200 LV kernal. it runs like a champ but ofcorse being that the CPU is running at twice what it was built to do theres alot of extra heat. one of the apps I use to test out how fast or how high the temp of the CPU will go is a game called "the elements" from the market. its by far the most CPU intence app I have. after making no changes at all to the Rom and running this app for around 1 minute my CPU temp got up to around 160F. now, I dont know what the CPU can handle but that seems extreamly high to me. once testing this out, I removed the CPU comands in the pete script and installed setcpu. ran the app again, it got up to around 120 then the failsafe kicked in and trottled down the cpu as its ment to do.... but, the downside is setcpu runs in the background using more battery.

so in all this explaining ill get to the point! my question is, is the script that governs the CPU ment more for the 800 and lower clock speeds? I would prefer to not have to use a 3rd party app if I dont have too and I guess I want the best of both worlds, saving battery life along with managable temps. so is there something I could try or do or is the way I have it set up pretty much the way I have to keep it inorder to keep my phone from melting lol

Without going into the very nitty gritty of how overclocking works in the Android OS it is 100% better and safer to use SetCPU, at present, over what is being done in Bugless Beast.

Both the script and SetCPU do the same thing. Set/Write files that the OS uses to determine what the min, max and performance mode are. Any program or script can do this. What SetCPU does beyond this is monitor battery level, cpu temp and battery temp. The amount of CPU time it takes to read those three items and decide what to do with that info takes maybe 100 milliseconds. And it only needs to do it once a minute at most, if that. I doubt SetCPU will use 2% of your battery over 24 hours of usage. Yet the benefits it provides can be the difference between a working Droid or a dead Droid.

I will be discussing this at length in my new set of articles on Overclocking the Droid. Hopefully Cereal Killer will get a chance to review my part 1 to make sure it meets DroidForums idea of how the subject should be covered.

And zathus, the Droid's CPU is rated for 170F. But the supporting chips that make up the OMAP3430 are only rated for 154F. If you allow the CPU to continue to bleed heat to the surrounding chips, you can possibly cause a failure.
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic for me Droid X2 for her
    Quote Originally Posted by Character Zero View Post
    If I uninstall SetCPU and reboot will Pete's scripts kick in?
    Yes, but there is no need to uninstall SetCPU. Open SetCPU and UNcheck everything that says "Set on Boot" as well as disable Profiles. Then reboot.

I am doing this for now, as I have memory of the Droid getting hot during long Navigation trips. So Until I do further tests I will keep SetCPU installed but disabled...just in case I need to force it down to 400MHz for a while.

To further get SetCPU out of any system memory you could apply the .bak extension so that it doesn't load at all, but is still on your phone.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid
    ok, so I throtled down to 1100, tested out the game.. peaked out at around 135f.. went down to 1k.. peaked around 125. 125 is managable so Im going to install the 1k kernal. i agree that while im not getting any reboots running 1200, its clearly to much for my cpu.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ok so i ask this. I still got petes script on my phone and im running setcpu with profiles set, cpu speeds change with my profiles no problems at all so is petes script not working or setcpu over riding it. where do I find this script? thanks guys for the help
    Moto Droid Android 2.2
    Bugless Beast V.5
    NexTANG
    P3Droid 1.2GHZ #13
    SetCpu 400MHZ-1.2GHZ
  11. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by droid420 View Post
    ok so i ask this. I still got petes script on my phone and im running setcpu with profiles set, cpu speeds change with my profiles no problems at all so is petes script not working or setcpu over riding it. where do I find this script? thanks guys for the help
    SetCPU is overriding it. The pete script is in /system/xbin, but you don't need to modify it for SetCPU to do its job just as its designed to do.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Links