DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SetCPU Vs Petes V1.1 CPU script

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralfonso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    I really would like pete to define how this ROM "eliminates the need for setCPU".
    Before BB V1.0 all users wanting to overclock on any ROM needed to install an app to do so (those that did not know the commands). Now my kernels overclock themselves using the pete script. So having a cpu app is no longer a "must have" it is now just optional. It's as simple as that.
    got it and thanks for the explanation. If all the user wants to do is overclock then yeah, there is no need for setCPU. I guess I was working under the assumption that people used setCPU not just for overclocking but also for profiles. In the latter case, setCPU is still needed and the ROM doesn't eliminate that need.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    I really would like pete to define how this ROM "eliminates the need for setCPU".
    Before BB V1.0 all users wanting to overclock on any ROM needed to install an app to do so (those that did not know the commands). Now my kernels overclock themselves using the pete script. So having a cpu app is no longer a "must have" it is now just optional. It's as simple as that.
    got it and thanks for the explanation. If all the user wants to do is overclock then yeah, there is no need for setCPU. I guess I was working under the assumption that people used setCPU not just for overclocking but also for profiles. In the latter case, setCPU is still needed and the ROM doesn't eliminate that need.
    czerdrill I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to why this is a discussion... like you, I assumed most people used SetCPU for ongoing management, not just startup...
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post

czerdrill I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to why this is a discussion... like you, I assumed most people used SetCPU for ongoing management, not just startup...
    yeah the wording maybe should be changed to "eliminates the need for setCPU, if all you wanna do is overclock" haha but that probably doesn't sound as cool! It's a great ROM though, no one can dispute that fact.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    I'm also curious, does Pete's script essentially run like SetCPU with ondemand for the given speed? It sounds and looks like it's smarter than that, but I'd love to know more detail about it.
    Yes, see the breakdown here:

SetCPU Vs Petes V1.1 CPU script

It's a one-shot, only-at-boot-time, setup. As other folks have said, it ONLY sets the CPU for OnDemand overclocking. It does _not_ try to duplicate the custom profiling that you can do with SetCPU.
    :: Mark
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    This is correct. Overclocking is only a third of the equation, with battery life and thermal protection being the other two thirds. Any battery life lost with setCPU is easily overshadowed by how much it saves you.
    BB0.3 OC'd @ 1000mhz
    Darkedge
    ChevyNo1 7 slot 1000mhz kernel
    Bodyglove Case and Invisishield
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by machineheadg2r View Post

This is correct. Overclocking is only a third of the equation, with battery life and thermal protection being the other two thirds. Any battery life lost with setCPU is easily overshadowed by how much it saves you.
    Precisely. setCPU is not a battery killer in any way. I'm glad I'm not the only one who disagrees with the statement "eliminates the need for setCPU" haha. the ROM eliminates the need for an overclocking app, it does not however eliminate the need for setCPU, because it seems evident that most people use setCPU for profiles, something that this ROM, nor any other ROM, will ever be able to provide.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I just want to chime in my opinion.

YMMV, but seriously if you're hitting temps over 125 without setCPU then use setCPU. Your CPU does not need to run that hot no matter what app you're using, and if it does setCPU will use it's profiles to throttle down, and you can throttle down on the fly whenever you feel like it.
    Why run a 1.2Ghz kernel at all then? Just save yourself the trouble and run a 800Mhz kernel and be done with it.

I'd much rather have my phone running at 105 degrees when I'm using pandora and navigation, then 135 no matter what the chip is rated at and that's why I would "need" setCPU. Obviously the phone has its own built in failsafe, but there's no need to purposely push a phone like that, especially when you don't have to.
    That should read, "I would "want" setCPU."

I think we should start making the distinction been needs and wants. Before BBv1.0, users needed an app like setCPU to overclock, because without it you couldn't overclock. Now with BBv1.0 and BBv1.1 if what you want is a blazing fast room with an added cool CPU temp, all you need to do is run BBv1.1 with the stock 600Mhz kernel, or just bump it up a little to 800Mhz with the bekit kernel and call it a day.

Seriously people, it's simple. This is Pete's rom, if you don't follow his recommendations your phone is bound to have problems/FC's/errors and so on. If what you want is to have total control over your phone by way of setCPU/task managers/etc.; why not just go with any other one of the numerous roms out there that let you do so?

Your other option is of course to ask Pete is you could get his roms source and change it to your liking or make a rom from scratch however you see fit (I know this is not an option for 99.9% of us; but dayaum people. Why complain and cry over something given to you freely with no strings attached?).

I'm running BBv1.1, and before that BBv1.0 and neither one has yet to give me a problem/FC/error/reboot/freeze (you name it). It runs perfectly fine/cool/fast, and runs even better than stock ESE81. I can honestly say it's because I've followed Pete's recommendations and I don't go out of my way to switch any number of apps that can cause conflicts such as different phone.apk, contacts.apk, setCPU, Task Managers or anything else that can mess with Pete's rom.

I want to repeat that this is only my opinion and should be taken as such. This is not personal or some troll post of any kind (sorry czerdrill, but your posts were exactly the things I wanted to talk about an proved the most useful in contrast).
    Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 05-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBarrier View Post
    I just want to chime in my opinion.

YMMV, but seriously if you're hitting temps over 125 without setCPU then use setCPU. Your CPU does not need to run that hot no matter what app you're using, and if it does setCPU will use it's profiles to throttle down, and you can throttle down on the fly whenever you feel like it.
    Why run a 1.2Ghz kernel at all then? Just save yourself the trouble and run a 800Mhz kernel and be done with it.

this makes no sense. i use a 1.2 kernel cuz i want the extra speed. i want the option to throttle down on the fly in case my phone starts overheating. you seem to equate higher speeds with higher heat. i don't see it that way. as i mentioned, i use setCPU and my 1.2 kernel does not go above 105 ever...however, if/when it does go above a temp i don't like i know my profiles will throttle it down. at 800 my kernel would not be as fast as i want it to be.

I'd much rather have my phone running at 105 degrees when I'm using pandora and navigation, then 135 no matter what the chip is rated at and that's why I would "need" setCPU. Obviously the phone has its own built in failsafe, but there's no need to purposely push a phone like that, especially when you don't have to.
    That should read, "I would "want" setCPU."

I think we should start making the distinction been needs and wants. Before BBv1.0, users needed an app like setCPU to overclock, because without it you couldn't overclock.

And before 1.0 users would need an app for CPU profiles. They still do. BB doesn't change that.

Now with BBv1.0 and BBv1.1 if what you want is a blazing fast room with an added cool CPU temp, all you need to do is run BBv1.1 with the stock 600Mhz kernel, or just bump it up a little to 800Mhz with the bekit kernel and call it a day.

Seriously people, it's simple. This is Pete's rom, if you don't follow his recommendations your phone is bound to have problems/FC's/errors and so on. If what you want is to have total control over your phone by way of setCPU/task managers/etc.; why not just go with any other one of the numerous roms out there that let you do so?

Your other option is of course to ask Pete is you could get his roms source and change it to your liking or make a rom from scratch however you see fit (I know this is not an option for 99.9% of us; but dayaum people. Why complain and cry over something given to you freely with no strings attached?).

I'm running BBv1.1, and before that BBv1.0 and neither one has yet to give me a problem/FC/error/reboot/freeze (you name it). It runs perfectly fine/cool/fast, and runs even better than stock ESE81. I can honestly say it's because I've followed Pete's recommendations and I don't go out of my way to switch any number of apps that can cause conflicts such as different phone.apk, contacts.apk, setCPU, Task Managers or anything else that can mess with Pete's rom.

Simply not true man. I don't follow his recommendation, I run setCPU and I've never had one force close ever with this ROM. You're not correct, and that's a fact, and I am proof of that. If I was getting force closes everytime I used setcPU i wouldn't be here telling everyone to use setCPU if they're overheating (which this ROM has a tendency to do, I mean there's a thread in this very subsection about some guy who went up to 177 degrees with this ROM). Sorry, I'm not a fan of my phone hitting nearly 200 degrees.

I want to repeat that this is only my opinion and should be taken as such. This is not personal or some troll post of any kind (sorry czerdrill, but your posts were exactly the things I wanted to talk about an proved the most useful in contrast).
    no prob man that's why this is a forum. to discuss differences of opinion. that being said, i did ask pete to verify if any other file anywhere in his rom "eliminates" the need for setCPU. I examined the files in this ROM and the only one that deals with overclocking is the pete file. If pete had another file somewhere that dealt with it he would have mentioned it (I hope, as it wouldn't make sense to keep it secret, considering everything here is open source and anyone can easily examine the contents of this ROM). He didn't. Therefore I have to assume that the pete file is what he's referring to when he says the "need for setcPU is eliminated"...and it simply is not. I "need" setCPU to set up profiles. Therefore the "need", at least for me, is not eliminated. This ROM "source" you speak of is not some hidden secret. The ROMs source is there for everyone to see. It's not a protected file. Every aspect of the ROM is there for us to examine. And I did. Does that mean that there is no other file in this ROM that deals with overclocking? No, I could have easily missed a file or missed a line somewhere that deals with setCPU. But Pete didn't mention any other file, so I have to assume there is not. Further, the script only runs at boot, and is not running periodically or checking for temperatures to throttle down. The "source" is right there for everyone to see, both from Pete and from Google.

Perhaps you don't understand what the pete file does, but I'm telling you that it does NOT do anything other than set a max speed (as far as "replacing" setcPU goes). If pete has some other "hidden" file somewhere in his "source", I would like him to state so. Until then, this ROM does not eliminate the need for setcPU.

That's not a complaint. It's the truth. The ROM is the best ROM I've ever used. It's not a replacement for setCPU...at least not for me.

Last edited by czerdrill; 05-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1555 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    update: Still have not downloaded or touched Set CPU. Running 1GHZ kernel.

Stellar Battery: Easy full day. Pull off the charger before bed at night and use the device the following day without charging until night time. Average 30-40% end of day.

Low temps: Highest seen 110 while browsing internet for approximately 60 minutes.

Zero reboots or FC's.

So far so good. Not sure if it's the ROM that is giving me the great battery life or not using Set Cpu.

Skull One is going to be doing some testing on BB and I'm VERY interested to see what his results are.

Maybe Pete's simple script has some value that can be carried over to other ROMS where users need Set CPU.

I don't know but I find this very interesting. I've ran a clean deodexed ESE 81 Stock ROM OC'd to 800MHZ and never saw this kind of battery life.
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You "need" setCPU to set profiles because you "want" to set profiles. Again, the differences between needs and wants.

Fair enough, the profiles aspect is a valid "want".

I understand what the Pete file does fine, and yet see no need to fiddle with it on my phone. One other thing we seem to forget is that this is in it's root a phone and everything else is secondary.

As for higher speeds equating to higher heat, that's exactly how these electronic components work. The longer you run your CPU at a higher frequency, the higher the heat will get (this is a fact and not an opinion).

So basically you want to run 1.2Ghz till the CPU gets to "X" temperature and then have it "yo-yo" up and down the speeds to limit it from surpassing "X" temperature? I still come to the conclusion you should save yourself the headache and choose a kernel with a max speed that doesn't surpass your temperature requirements, because it's obvious that setCPU profiles is doing just that for you, setting a max clock to fulfill your temperature requirement. All you seem to be doing is using a higher clock till the temperature requirement is surpassed and then switching to a lower clock to keep your temperature requirement in check.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Links