DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: wiping vs wiping and format

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer

wiping vs wiping and format

I see alot of people with the issuse of the trackball as well as other problems.many seem to have the trackball issuse even after wiping. I'm actually curious to see because i use sprecovery and i wiped data and cache 2 times then used adb to format system, data, cache, and boot. I'm sure many issues are due to people not wiping at all but I did same thing for my friends phone as i did to my phone and neither of us had trackball issues or any other problems so im wondering if anyone who had formatted their partitions before installinghad any trackball or other issuses. I think this would be good to actually see how effective and compare just wiping to wiping and formating.
    Last edited by actngrezy; 05-22-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Went from a working LED BB1.0 to Cyanogen. I wiped Data, Cache, System and Boot 3x. Went back to BB1.0 3 hours later (not sure if LEDs were working with Cyanogen as I was only on it for a few hours) and did the same, wiped Data, Cache, System and Boot 3x (maybe 4x cause of my OCD...). Later in the day I noticed I had no LEDs for any incoming sms, missed calls FB etc.
    Rom: Codename Android 1.0.1
    Kernel: Imo's Lean Minimalistic Experimental

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by gszeman View Post
    Went from a working LED BB1.0 to Cyanogen. I wiped Data, Cache, System and Boot 3x. Went back to BB1.0 3 hours later (not sure if LEDs were working with Cyanogen as I was only on it for a few hours) and did the same, wiped Data, Cache, System and Boot 3x (maybe 4x cause of my OCD...). Later in the day I noticed I had no LEDs for any incoming sms, missed calls FB etc.
    Thats good info. Now i wonder if theres a difference between using adb to format system data cache and boot and the way clockwork formats? I would think its the same. The only thing i noticed while formatting was on my phone it says bad block mtd when i format data and on my buddys phone it said same thing but it said it when i did his data and boot. Does anyone else get this message when using adb format?only difference between my friends phone and mine is i have root access which i diod while on 2. 0. 1 and friends phone i flashed the 2. 1 sbf and use a rom to gain root. I wonder if thats why he gets the bad block mtd while formatting his boot?

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID
    I was about to post a new topic when I came across this and I think my question would fit nicely here. I use rom manager on my moto droid to install roms. Nice and easy for the likes of me. Right now I am running bb1.0 1ghz kernel. Do I have to wipe data and cache if I am changing the theme or kernel? I assume not since I am staying in bb. But the kernel scares me, I spose I'm thinking I don't want 2 running at once, if that's even possible. Or if the new install is all that keeps. And a side question, I believe I have no reason to use set cpu if I'm running bb, am I right?
    They used say the machine is only as smart as the person controlling it...the DROID has me beat
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    I was about to post a new topic when I came across this and I think my question would fit nicely here. I use rom manager on my moto droid to install roms. Nice and easy for the likes of me. Right now I am running bb1.0 1ghz kernel. Do I have to wipe data and cache if I am changing the theme or kernel? I assume not since I am staying in bb. But the kernel scares me, I spose I'm thinking I don't want 2 running at once, if that's even possible. Or if the new install is all that keeps. And a side question, I believe I have no reason to use set cpu if I'm running bb, am I right?
    No dont wipe when your installing the kernel. Changing kernels is easy with the update zip format. My only advice would be to download a couple diff ones with diff clock speeds incase your phone doesnt boot with a higher speed. there is no way to have two kernels running at once. there is no reason to use set cpu, the rom automatically scales the procesor based on the current load.

Links