DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help picking a rom

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus

need help picking a rom

I'm running UD10 now, which is very snappy and has cool features like 360 degree rotating screen, cube music app, etc. But its got some awful problems like the indicator light not working, home and launcher not rotating, live wallpapers freezing, plus many others.

So I think I want to try bugless now. I just want a quick snappy OS. That's top priority for me. How do I go about switching? Do I need to unroot and go back to stock? Can I use Tom manager to do it all? Sorry for the noob questions.
    HOKIE
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    BB is on RomManager (premium,) just make sure to wipe data/cache and format system, boot, data and cache a couple times each. It runs cooler that way and with less posibility of running into wierdness.

ADB or Clockwork menu commands will both work. I like using Clockwork cuz I'm lazy and don't want to bother with ADB unless I have to.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that without booting into recovery and manualy installing from the .zip after the formats (that I know of.) So honestly, I would just dl from his original post just to have the .zips in an easily accessable spot on your SD card.

I keep it all in a folder called Bugless_Beast with all the kernels and themes so I can check out which one I like the most. (1.0LV works best for me.)

Or you could just find it all where Rom Manager puts it in Clockwork, but whatever thats a bunch of folders to search through and you can't get all the kernels and themes at the same time.

So just dl to sd, reboot into Clockwork, wipe/format everthing, apply the BBv1 .zip, then theme and oc kernel of your choice and enjoy. No need to lose root or anything. Just make sure to make a backup before doing anything, obv.
    Last edited by c0y0te; 05-21-2010 at 01:59 PM.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Wait, what's the point of ROM manager if u gotta install the zip file like any other OS?

Also, I don't know what clockwork is. I have sprecovery, is that the same thing?
    HOKIE
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: need help picking a rom

Clockwork is the recovery that comes with rom manager. When you download a rom it will auto install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by c0y0te View Post
    BB is on RomManager (premium,) just make sure to wipe data/cache and format system, boot, data and cache a couple times each. It runs cooler that way and with less posibility of running into wierdness.

ADB or Clockwork menu commands will both work. I like using Clockwork cuz I'm lazy and don't want to bother with ADB unless I have to.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that without booting into recovery and manualy installing from the .zip after the formats (that I know of.) So honestly, I would just dl from his original post just to have the .zips in an easily accessable spot on your SD card.

I keep it all in a folder called Bugless_Beast with all the kernels and themes so I can check out which one I like the most. (1.0LV works best for me.)

Or you could just find it all where Rom Manager puts it in Clockwork, but whatever thats a bunch of folders to search through and you can't get all the kernels and themes at the same time.

So just dl to sd, reboot into Clockwork, wipe/format everthing, apply the BBv1 .zip, then theme and oc kernel of your choice and enjoy. No need to lose root or anything. Just make sure to make a backup before doing anything, obv.
    If your using rom manager there is no need to manually do anything in recovery. Pick the rom you want from the list and it will ask you weather or not u want to wipe or backup. Just put an X in the box and it will automaticaly boot into recovery and perform everything you asked it too.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid CM6 LATEST NIGHTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by dbz443 View Post
    If your using rom manager there is no need to manually do anything in recovery. Pick the rom you want from the list and it will ask you weather or not u want to wipe or backup. Just put an X in the box and it will automaticaly boot into recovery and perform everything you asked it too.
    Actually, that option just wipes your data/cache partitions. What c0y0te was referencing is that if you also wipe system and boot, it tends to run cleaner. Also, doing it his way lets you wipe a couple times to be sure. CW only wipes once.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    OK so I need to flash CW according to ROM manager. Can I just do it in ROM manager or so I need to remove sprecovery first?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Actually curious of something. I have BBv1 but I got it from ROM Manager. I was thinking about switching to SPRecovery (mainly cus thats only way Ive ever manually installed a ROM) and installing BBv1 again but wiping 3x which leads me to my question, download the ROM from Pete's page but when I download the kernel where do I put that? Thats what Im alittle confused about, I dont know what file do I put the kernel or what to do to install it cus Id rather install it myself instead of using ROM Manager because I'd like to wipe 3x, thanks for any insight
  9. Soulless Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    zerosouls
    Phone
    Razr
    Premium Member
    Try the ones from my sig... you wont regret
    Feel like a geek?: http://gplus.to/GeekPlus
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanNomads View Post
    Actually curious of something. I have BBv1 but I got it from ROM Manager. I was thinking about switching to SPRecovery (mainly cus thats only way Ive ever manually installed a ROM) and installing BBv1 again but wiping 3x which leads me to my question, download the ROM from Pete's page but when I download the kernel where do I put that? Thats what Im alittle confused about, I dont know what file do I put the kernel or what to do to install it cus Id rather install it myself instead of using ROM Manager because I'd like to wipe 3x, thanks for any insight
    1) I would keep Clockwork...just my opinion, but it works well for me.

2) Just put the kernel on your sdcard (I use sdcard/ROMs, I have several kernels in there in case one of the faster kernels causes issues I can reboot into recovery and install a slower kernel that my phone likes better). Once you have the kernel on your sdcard reboot into recovery>>install .zip from sdcard>>choose .zip from sdcard>>navigate to the .zip and you are set...it will install the new kernel.

And, you can still wipe 3x using ROM manager...just reboot into recovery and choose partition menu...then just choose format for each partition 3x.
    Rom: Codename Android 1.0.1
    Kernel: Imo's Lean Minimalistic Experimental

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links