DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Question about Pete file in BB 1.0

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3

Question about Pete file in BB 1.0

Is it safe to modify the pete file to have the scaling_min_freq to 125000?

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    You could, if the kernel you're running supports it - but I believe the newest bekit kernels don't.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    I'm using the BEKIT7X1000LV kernel.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
    Is it safe to modify the pete file to have the scaling_min_freq to 125000?
    Only if it's supported in the kernel. I believe the 125Mhz frequency step is only in the 600Mhz kernel, and I know it's not in the 800Mhz.

To check what frequencies your kernel has available:
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    To set a max frequency manually:
    Code:
    echo "125000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    To check to see what the current max frequency is (to see if the change was accepted):
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    To see the current frequency:
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    As a side note, I have heard a number of times that a minimum speed of 125Mhz is too slow for the droid to be able to wake up in time to answer a call. I've actually had problems with 250Mhz as well, but YMMV. I would highly suggest testing it out before setting it there for good, and make sure you NEVER set the maximum frequency below 400Mhz or so, or it won't even be responsive enough to turn the speed back up.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Pretty sure only the stock kernel (that comes with BB) supports 125, all the rest have 250 as their min freq.

I'm assuming Pete posted the 0.8.3 kernels (the latest).

edit: ah, Se7enLC beat me to it. but yes, I found 250 to be too slow, never mind 125. 400 is probably the best usable minimum.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    My own random musing (not to derail/hijack the thread):

I wonder if it's possible to intercept an incoming call early on and have it force the CPU to ramp up?

Example - When my phone starts to ring, first I'll hear it vibrate, then I hear the ringtone, then the screen turns on and gives me the option to answer. Sometimes it will be 4-5 seconds before I have the option of answering, even.

Obviously *something* in the software is aware that there's an incoming call. If you were to attach an action to that that forced the CPU to ramp up to 600, maybe it would happen faster than waiting for the frequency scaling governor to do it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    Many thanks for the help and info on this. I'm loving the standby battery life from the 250 downclocking. But like you guys, I've noticed it takes the phone 2-5 seconds to give me an accept call slide. Didn't occur to me to think it was the downclocking. Very interesting indeed. Makes me want to set min_freq to 400 now, lol.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
    Many thanks for the help and info on this. I'm loving the standby battery life from the 250 downclocking. But like you guys, I've noticed it takes the phone 2-5 seconds to give me an accept call slide. Didn't occur to me to think it was the downclocking. Very interesting indeed. Makes me want to set min_freq to 400 now, lol.
    To be honest, I don't think you'll see that big a hit in battery life at 400 min.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Since we already hijacked the thread, here's some useful information about cpu frequency scaling in linux:
    Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt

The important things to note are the difference between ondemand and conservative governors. ondemand will automatically ramp up to scaling_max_freq if more speed is required, and then slowly ramp down. conservative will slowly ramp up AND down. When it needs more/less CPU, it will just go one step at a time.

sampling_rate is how often the governor will check cpu usage. It's actually a period, not a rate. A larger value will be slower to notice a change, but a smaller value will spend more battery power checking cpu usage often.

up_threshold is how much cpu utilization (percentage) there needs to be in order to warrant a jump in CPU speed.

down_threshold is how much cpu utilization (percentage) to trigger a drop in speed. (conservative only)

There's a lot of room for tweaking these settings. If it's not jumping to a normal speed fast enough, you can make the sampling_rate more frequent (smaller), or change the up_threshold to require less cpu load to prompt the jump. If you want more battery life, you can set it to use the conservative governor or change the up_threshold or down_threshold to be less likely to jump up and more likely to drop down.

The pete script sets the sampling_rate to 32000us (32ms) and the up_threshold to be 50%. I believe the SetCPU defaults are 250000us (250ms) and 80%. I'm not sure what the defaults are if you don't run SetCPU or the pete script, but I'm pretty sure it won't even do scaling at all on its own (it will just sit at the default speed, which I think is max speed).
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 05-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Cool CM Tricks

Links