DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking/SetCPU/TempMonitor/Heat Conventions on BB1.0

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Yeah the built in scaling works wonderfully, but I think people want to use setCPU for profiles, and nothing else. I know my concern is temps. Its great that the cpu can handle temps of like 198 degrees, but honestly there is no need for the cpu to be running that hot. There is no need for it be running more than 120 (and even that is overkill). So setCPU takes care of that (at least for me) by scaling down with high temps. When I was using the pete file, I definitely had cool temps, but I also had high temps in the 120s and 130s. With setcpu I have cooler temps and it hasn't gone past 105 for me yet. Whereas before it would reach the 120s and 130s. Simply no reason for that to happen, and that's why people use setCPU i think.

and of course it depends on each individual phone. but i'm happy idling at 65 and not going above 105, and I've only achieved that with setCPU
    Last edited by czerdrill; 05-15-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I am an honest-to-god convert. Pete -- if you lived near me I'd take you out and get you drunk. This ROM has given me a phone back.... i get 16 - 20 hours of life and NORMAL usage on a single charge. Finally, I don't have to try hard to get the phone to last until lunch.

My post *is* relevant to this thread though:

Now that I've done away with SetCPU, what is the best way to monitor CPU speed and temps? Has anyone found a low-profile widget that gives accurate monitoring?

I am a big fan of open-source (read: free) but am definitely willing to shell out a few bucks for some well-written software.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralfonso View Post
    Run it as is brother and you will never go back, I promise. Don't worry about the heat, if it melts I'll ship you my Droid.
    haha. sounds good pete. so far you're right, your rom is wonderful. cant wait to see the next version.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Just removed set cpu and temp monitor. lets see if i notice a difference.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Just for the record, and only on my phone, history has proven to me that while the spec sheets for the processor may rate some ungodly amount, at around 130F my phone will start shutting itself down. It did this back in the early oc/Setcpu days, and I confirmed it on one of the early Pete Approved kernels in the original v1 thread. I am using the "revised" 1200 with no heat issues. If the phone is rated for just short of boiling water, and I know it will shut down itself long before that point, what is the risk?

I still use setcpu for the scaling, as I often find myself in some pretty remote locations where I can still use phone features other than phone and web, and I like being able to push the battery life. Otherwise I would be done with setcpu and temp monitoring, knowing that my phone will start fc'ing and shutting down way before any sheet spec maximums. As I have posted in other Setcpu/heat threads, if you still have Setcpu installed, try some different kernels and run the Setcpu extended bench test. This should confirm some things for you.

Craig
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Is there a script I need to run to enable this or is it set by default?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    Just for the record, and only on my phone, history has proven to me that while the spec sheets for the processor may rate some ungodly amount, at around 130F my phone will start shutting itself down. It did this back in the early oc/Setcpu days, and I confirmed it on one of the early Pete Approved kernels in the original v1 thread. I am using the "revised" 1200 with no heat issues. If the phone is rated for just short of boiling water, and I know it will shut down itself long before that point, what is the risk?

I still use setcpu for the scaling, as I often find myself in some pretty remote locations where I can still use phone features other than phone and web, and I like being able to push the battery life. Otherwise I would be done with setcpu and temp monitoring, knowing that my phone will start fc'ing and shutting down way before any sheet spec maximums. As I have posted in other Setcpu/heat threads, if you still have Setcpu installed, try some different kernels and run the Setcpu extended bench test. This should confirm some things for you.

Craig
    Bbv1 automatically scales the procesor based on the load of the apps running. That was the point of himdoing away with need for setcpu. Running it along with setcpu is redundant . If you have a temp monitor you can see for yourself when the procesor is getting to hot and you can give it a break making the failsafe profile not needed.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    DBZ,

Yes I do understand what BBV1 does internally. Perhaps I was a little confusing by mentioning speed and temperature in the same post, but the scaling I was refering to is dropping the max speed to a lower level to push the battery life a bit. When I am using my mapping program in remote locations, I do not need 1.2G on the top end for maps and gps to work. By manually reducing to 550 top end, it makes sense to me that the lower speed should theoretically equate to less battery drain.

Reflashing a lower speed kernel would be silly, and while I could probably run a script to throttle the high end back, a couple of clicks on setcpu handles it. And has been mentioned, if you do not have setcpu run profiles at boot, and do not run the widget, it simply sits on the phone much like other aps that do zero until activated.

Craig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links