DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Cannot find a cool enough kernel, hot phone (rooted stock 2.1)

  1. Senior Droid
    Womp's Avatar
    Member #
    28990
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Cannot find a cool enough kernel, hot phone (rooted stock 2.1)

    Installed Pete's rooted 2.1 stock. I love the snappiness and simplicity - official OTA with root - However no matter what kernel I have thrown onto the phone it seems to be very warm to hot. It has been averaging anywhere between mid 90sF to 115-120F. Even idle right now in airplane mode on my office desk Temp Monitor is showing 102F with the p3 600mhz LV Kernel.

    What the crap?

    I don't necessarily need overclock (Even then 800mhz is fine with me), but I want the WiFi tethering option available whenever I am in a clinch.

    I've tried a varied assortment of LV kernels from 600-800mhz and my phone just seems to run damned hot. I've only started checking the temps when I installed Cyanogen to try the other week and found it was very warm. Up until then I was using AdamZ Smoked Glass with the default kernel and for all I know it may have been this warm all this time, but with warmer weather coming in I'm getting a bit paranoid

    So if any of you experts out in the field can recommend me some ideas I'm all for them. And yes, I wipe data/cache profusely. It doesn't help. :/

    Thanks guys.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Diordna's Avatar
    Member #
    22567
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Coral - FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,342
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    DROID - rooted
    #2
    Have you tried seeing the temperature without a kernel? To see if it for sure is a kernel?
    Or maybe try the nextheme or SG instead? It's just fine for me running nextheme with 1.1 GHZ.
    Ultimate Droid
    Need help rooting or putting on a custom ROM? PM me!!!

    Thanks for allowing me to be the second member ever for the Spotlight of the Week in the Rescue Squad section!!



  3. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #3
    i haven't done it with pete's stock root, but with the "pure" adb stock root, i've used p3's 1ghz and 1.1 ghz and it's been fine - though personal usage also plays a part obviously

    do you have anything running in the background, even while "sleeping" that could be pushing the ondemand processor speed up all the time?
  4. Droid Sensei
    JhankG's Avatar
    Member #
    250
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Summerfield, NC
    Posts
    3,098
    Phone
    Droid X
    #4
    Try a MV kernel.
  5. Senior Droid
    powerwagon's Avatar
    Member #
    26427
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    228
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #5
    I would agree with the above post...you may want to start looking at apps running in the background. Sounds to me like you definitely have something that is drawing on the CPU for extended periods of time. I would back up your apps, then delete all of them and add them back one at a time, carefully monitoring the temps. You should then be able to find out what is running up your cpu temp.

    good luck!
    BB v1.1 Adam's Smoked Glass- P3Droid LV 1Ghz ADW-Launcher
  6. Senior Droid
    Womp's Avatar
    Member #
    28990
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    i haven't done it with pete's stock root, but with the "pure" adb stock root, i've used p3's 1ghz and 1.1 ghz and it's been fine - though personal usage also plays a part obviously

    do you have anything running in the background, even while "sleeping" that could be pushing the ondemand processor speed up all the time?
    Nothing that I can see, just the usual suspects that keep the phone going. I like to think I run a pretty lean ship. I'm already pretty OCD about this stuff although I am not in a task killer every two seconds either.

    When I installed the Verizon 2.1 stock initially the battery temp hovered in the mid-high 70F's...Now with a kernel installed it's almost 90F just idling.

    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    Try a MV kernel.
    I considered this last night as well. Can you recommend me one? I've always run LV and haven't had much luck finding any low range 600-800 MV ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I would agree with the above post...you may want to start looking at apps running in the background. Sounds to me like you definitely have something that is drawing on the CPU for extended periods of time. I would back up your apps, then delete all of them and add them back one at a time, carefully monitoring the temps. You should then be able to find out what is running up your cpu temp.

    good luck!
    Thanks...I'm actually getting tired of messing with the phone and at this point it is cutting into my sleep. :P I just want to stick with something that is stable, snappy and won't explode in my pocket. I don't need it to run 1.21 gigawatts either. hehe.
  7. Senior Droid
    powerwagon's Avatar
    Member #
    26427
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    228
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Womp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    i haven't done it with pete's stock root, but with the "pure" adb stock root, i've used p3's 1ghz and 1.1 ghz and it's been fine - though personal usage also plays a part obviously

    do you have anything running in the background, even while "sleeping" that could be pushing the ondemand processor speed up all the time?
    Nothing that I can see, just the usual suspects that keep the phone going. I like to think I run a pretty lean ship. I'm already pretty OCD about this stuff although I am not in a task killer every two seconds either.

    When I installed the Verizon 2.1 stock initially the battery temp hovered in the mid-high 70F's...Now with a kernel installed it's almost 90F just idling.

    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    Try a MV kernel.
    I considered this last night as well. Can you recommend me one? I've always run LV and haven't had much luck finding any low range 600-800 MV ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I would agree with the above post...you may want to start looking at apps running in the background. Sounds to me like you definitely have something that is drawing on the CPU for extended periods of time. I would back up your apps, then delete all of them and add them back one at a time, carefully monitoring the temps. You should then be able to find out what is running up your cpu temp.

    good luck!
    Thanks...I'm actually getting tired of messing with the phone and at this point it is cutting into my sleep. :P I just want to stick with something that is stable, snappy and won't explode in my pocket. I don't need it to run 1.21 gigawatts either. hehe.
    Do you have a task manager running? If so, delete it and install auto memory manager from the Market...use the pre-determined "aggressive" setting and see if that helps. That may keep whatever app is running up your battery temps from running. There is a donate version and free version...I would get the free version to start out with, then go donate if you like it.
    BB v1.1 Adam's Smoked Glass- P3Droid LV 1Ghz ADW-Launcher
  8. Droid Ninja
    Diordna's Avatar
    Member #
    22567
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Coral - FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,342
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    DROID - rooted
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    i haven't done it with pete's stock root, but with the "pure" adb stock root, i've used p3's 1ghz and 1.1 ghz and it's been fine - though personal usage also plays a part obviously

    do you have anything running in the background, even while "sleeping" that could be pushing the ondemand processor speed up all the time?
    I also have the usual running, and I use ATK when I feel like I opened to much different things. I even have SetCPU as a widget installed and I don't think it does to much harm, even though a lot of people are saying I don't need it so I'm thinking of ridding that? lol
    Ultimate Droid
    Need help rooting or putting on a custom ROM? PM me!!!

    Thanks for allowing me to be the second member ever for the Spotlight of the Week in the Rescue Squad section!!



  9. Senior Droid
    Womp's Avatar
    Member #
    28990
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    Do you have a task manager running? If so, delete it and install auto memory manager from the Market...use the pre-determined "aggressive" setting and see if that helps. That may keep whatever app is running up your battery temps from running. There is a donate version and free version...I would get the free version to start out with, then go donate if you like it.
    I have Task Panel lite which I honestly only use at reboots to kill auto starting apps like Slacker, or if an app such as the browser gives a random wacky moment otherwise when I am done I manually exit it.

    I honestly don't see anything in particular running that could be the culprit...

    Actually, as I look now...I'm idle at 71F after trashing that BBC News app (It was a recent install and it looked a bit 'off')

    Could that have been it?
  10. Droid Sensei
    JhankG's Avatar
    Member #
    250
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Summerfield, NC
    Posts
    3,098
    Phone
    Droid X
    #10
    Who's kernel are you using right now? I idle at around 20 Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) running a LV kernel at 1.2ghz. Even though the temperatures you mentioned are by no means hot or dangerous, they still shoudn't be that high when idling.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Have an Issue, Stock Phone, None Rooted (not hacked) Help Is Here !!
    By JimMariner in forum Droid X Tech Support
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
  3. Anywhere to find the SBF of just the stock kernel?
    By nateccnn in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
  4. any way to make rooted phone APPEAR to be stock?
    By nikkix in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
  5. How to Verify if your phone is back to stock or still ROOTED?
    By movadoevo8 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Search tags for this page

cool and hot phones
,
find a hot phone
,

hot pone

,

hotpone

,
kernel on phone
,

powered by vbulletin financial market data bbc news

,

powered by vbulletin find phone

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+