DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU and App Management - How does BB 1.0 handle it?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfProRM View Post
    All Pete's code does is set the CPU to max/min and on-demand when the phone starts. It then kills SetCPU if it's running. Pete said in the big thread that you can re-start SetCPU after the phone boots and it will work just fine. I don't believe there are any "profiles" built into the script. I've had no problems using SetCPU after booting and all speed levels and profiles work properly.
    That's strange because I've tried to use Petes 2.1 stock rooted with Chevys Kernel and Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 and then i used ROM MANAGER to go to bb v1 and and i've tried Smoked glass and for some reason even if i remove or uninstall SetCpu the max i can get to is also 500mhz. AFter restoring back to my original setup i was able to clock at 1ghz again. "weird"
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Weird, my phone lags like crazy when I have setCPU running on this ROM. I wonder why...but yeah I would like my profiles back but not have to sacrifice the speed of the ROM...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfProRM View Post
    All Pete's code does is set the CPU to max/min and on-demand when the phone starts. It then kills SetCPU if it's running. Pete said in the big thread that you can re-start SetCPU after the phone boots and it will work just fine. I don't believe there are any "profiles" built into the script. I've had no problems using SetCPU after booting and all speed levels and profiles work properly.
    So there's no reason why when the CPU is set to a maximum of 400Mhz that it should ever be running at 500Mhz, then?

I read through that script, and it's pretty clear that it's only doing a one-time set of the frequency scaling options, and doing a kill of setCPU. I know for a fact that I blew away that script, and I'm still getting this odd effect (speeds < 500Mhz not working). Running the 800MhzLV kernel.

Can you try setting a profile < 500Mhz and see if it works for you?
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    i can confirm the weird numbers in setCPU...i set my max to 1000 and min to 250 but in the widget it shows 348 min 450 max...which i don't know where that's coming from...and then it stays on 250 mostly, even though I have it set to on demand. I didn't remove the script....do you have to remove the 'pete' script in order for setCPU to do its thing? i looked at the script and all its doing is killing setCPU after boot and setting his settings. but if you setCPU again, it shouldn't matter what the script says.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Rooted), Iphone 4 JB.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I jumped from Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 to BB v1.0 and will probably be going back to Cyanogen later today. BB has been ok, definitely not the speed king that everyone is making it out to be. I'm a little suspect of the "in house" memory management tools, as my phone has progressively been getting slower and slower over the last day. Apparently there is a file within root explorer you can delete that gets rid of Pete's mem mgr. Just my two cents.

I would stick with what you have unless you just like to tinker around with different roms like I do
    VERY interesting observation. Running Cyanogen 5.0.6.2and was going to try BB v1.0. You're post is having me with second thoughts.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I jumped from Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 to BB v1.0 and will probably be going back to Cyanogen later today. BB has been ok, definitely not the speed king that everyone is making it out to be. I'm a little suspect of the "in house" memory management tools, as my phone has progressively been getting slower and slower over the last day. Apparently there is a file within root explorer you can delete that gets rid of Pete's mem mgr. Just my two cents.

I would stick with what you have unless you just like to tinker around with different roms like I do
    VERY interesting observation. Running Cyanogen 5.0.6.2and was going to try BB v1.0. You're post is having me with second thoughts.
    LOL i just restored my phone back to factory and reinstalled Cyan and then BB1 and now it works perfect. The SetCpu still tried to set it to 600mhz the max, but after auto detecting it one more time it allowed me to have the 1000mhz option finally. I did the themed verision Themed lol and wow holly cow to me it does feel the fastest and its so smooth. The animation is the smoothest i have ever seen on my droid phone. Now i regret not Rooting any earlier. I've been Rooted for about 4 days and wow I was missing out big time..

All the stress and agravation waiting for the official 2.1 when I could of been have it and running good lol.. Thanks DEVS!!!! And thanks for your help guys who guided me how to root and flash kernels and flash roms! i'm soo sooped up now hehe.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Re: CPU and App Management - How does BB 1.0 handle it?

Why would you want to disable setCPU especially now that it supports CPU temp monitoring?

As for the "keep 50MB free" option, that is accomplished by
    Well there seems to be a common theme here. People who do what they want and install or keep SetCPU and try whatever kernel besides the Bekit ones and complain about problems. Then there are those that follow Pete's instructions to the letter and seem to have no apparent issues at all. I am seeing a pattern emerging. hmmm.....
    Well i'm not using pete's ROM so I can't really tell. But my point still stands, manually configuring setcpu is a much better alternative.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nphil View Post
    Why would you want to disable setCPU especially now that it supports CPU temp monitoring?

As for the "keep 50MB free" option, that is accomplished by
    Well there seems to be a common theme here. People who do what they want and install or keep SetCPU and try whatever kernel besides the Bekit ones and complain about problems. Then there are those that follow Pete's instructions to the letter and seem to have no apparent issues at all. I am seeing a pattern emerging. hmmm.....
    Well i'm not using pete's ROM so I can't really tell. But my point still stands, manually configuring setcpu is a much better alternative.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Yeah i'm using SETCPU with my profiles so it does the speeds i want at certain times so it saves battery etc..
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Powerwagon you having to use a task killer to get your device to run good is a sign that something is definitely wrong with your set-up.

I don't advocate the use of Task Killers neither (they cause too many problems than they solve) and my device has zero issues with lag, slowdowns or reboots.
    But AMM is just simply changing thresholds of Android's native memory manager - I don't see what's necessarily so terrible about that. It's really no different than what Pete has done under the hood, ensuring that some minimum amount of memory is free.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    The default kernel (600SV) has the following slots: 125, 250, 500, 550, 600.

It has the same problem as the 800LV (250, 400, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800) where the frequency max cannot go lower than 500Mhz.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Links