DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU and App Management - How does BB 1.0 handle it?

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Powerwagon you having to use a task killer to get your device to run good is a sign that something is definitely wrong with your set-up.

I don't advocate the use of Task Killers neither (they cause too many problems than they solve) and my device has zero issues with lag, slowdowns or reboots.

You may want to look into what you are doing. Relying on a task manager to get your device to run good is a sign that something is not right with your set-up.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 05-05-2010 at 10:03 AM.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Powerwagon you having to use a task killer to get your device to run good is a sign that something is definitely wrong with your set-up.

I don't advocate the use of Task Killers neither (they cause too many problems than they solve) and my device has zero issues with lag, slowdowns or reboots.

You may want to look into what you are doing. Relying on a task manager to get your device to run good is a sign that something is not right with your set-up.
    QFT.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    i agree with the task killer thing. i've never used one and have never experienced lag because of not using one. the only lag i've ever experienced is when i've run the stock kernel. at the 800 or 1GHz kernel, lag is nonexistent, no task killer needed. My only concern with BB V.1 is the temperature but like Darkseider said it could just be because I'm seeing what I haven't seen before and that's what's worrying me. On V 0.9, even with heavy use I wouldn't go above 105F. On this one, when it's in standby I'll be between 65-77F. But the minute I turn on the screen it'll jump to 85, then climb to 93, then hit 120, before it levels off again at around 90-95 while I'm using it. My concern is just the temperature spikes. It is healthy that it jumps 40 degrees in like 15 seconds, then drops back down? Otherwise, this rom is great.

I know its rated upto 158 degrees, but i guess its all psychological. Don't like seeing it that high, so i automatically assume that somethings wrong
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    See I am used to having my Droid run hot. I barley use it throughout the course of the workday. On my train ride home though I abuse the bugger and since day one have always had it running between 50c - 55c for extended periods of time without any ill effect at all. Something can be said for TI and Moto engineers.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You have the option to delete /system/xbin/pete file and start using setcpu and task killers if you want complete control.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    VTCapsFan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    anyway i can modify the pete file so that it still uses the memory management but doesnt kill setCPU
    Got OG on launch day, Got Nexus on launch day. Only Vanilla Android for me!
    Please follow me on twitter VTCapsFan !!!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by alm0614 View Post
    anyway i can modify the pete file so that it still uses the memory management but doesnt kill setCPU
    Out of morbid curiosity have you tried to run it with the Pete file in place to see how it does over the course of a few days? The only reason I ask is that from my understanding this was tested pretty thoroughly to give optimum performance/battery life.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I jumped from Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 to BB v1.0 and will probably be going back to Cyanogen later today. BB has been ok, definitely not the speed king that everyone is making it out to be. I'm a little suspect of the "in house" memory management tools, as my phone has progressively been getting slower and slower over the last day. Apparently there is a file within root explorer you can delete that gets rid of Pete's mem mgr. Just my two cents.

I would stick with what you have unless you just like to tinker around with different roms like I do
    I'm also rocking Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 with Chevys 1ghz, but how do i get what you have that NexTheme Droid p3. My is stocking locking just using the Helix launcher 1. I would like to have some sort of theme like you as well. Any advice?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Out of morbid curiosity have you tried to run it with the Pete file in place to see how it does over the course of a few days? The only reason I ask is that from my understanding this was tested pretty thoroughly to give optimum performance/battery life.
    This is like somebody who is running unrooted stock asking somebody who rooted and installed a rom "Have you tried running it stock? It runs pretty well, those engineers at Google and Motorola sure know their stuff!"

I'm sure it runs fine, and it's probably a good setting for 90% of the people - but this IS the "Droid Hacking" forum, after all. We like to hack. I, for one, like to be able to tweak my settings to be whatever I want them to be. Sometimes I want high performance when I'm playing a game, but sometimes I know I'm going to be away from a charger for awhile and I want to conserve battery like crazy.

Does BB do something ELSE to prevent SetCPU from working properly? I removed pete's script, and I still have SetCPU telling me:
    Current Speed: 500Mhz
    Min Speed: 250Mhz
    Max Speed: 400Mhz
    Perhaps it's a problem in the kernel... I cannot set the maximum to be below 500Mhz. 500, 550, 600, 700, and 800 work fine, however.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    All Pete's code does is set the CPU to max/min and on-demand when the phone starts. It then kills SetCPU if it's running. Pete said in the big thread that you can re-start SetCPU after the phone boots and it will work just fine. I don't believe there are any "profiles" built into the script. I've had no problems using SetCPU after booting and all speed levels and profiles work properly.
    I write Android columns for: Hijinks, Inc.
    Follow me on Twitter!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links