DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Update still available

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Cool Update still available

Hi all,

So I noticed the other day on my phone running BB .9 and Smoked Glass Theme that the real 2.1 update was showing as available in my "About Phone" section in the settings program. I've heard that the phone keeping this update available and downloading it can affect battery life, so I was wondering if there was a way to disable it? I know that it can't install due to the missing OTACERTS file, but is there a way to disable the downloading of the update all together?

Thanks!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by danktamagachi View Post
    Hi all,

So I noticed the other day on my phone running BB .9 and Smoked Glass Theme that the real 2.1 update was showing as available in my "About Phone" section in the settings program. I've heard that the phone keeping this update available and downloading it can affect battery life, so I was wondering if there was a way to disable it? I know that it can't install due to the missing OTACERTS file, but is there a way to disable the downloading of the update all together?

Thanks!
    none that im aware of other than living in airplane mode the rest of your life
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    I think (but not sure) that u have to continue with the process as if u were actually updating but at a certain point sprecovery will block it
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @iceryda
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    doubt it. but this thread is suppose to assist u

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tery-life.html
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    BYou cant disable it but you can make it so your system says up to date and no longer re downloads or has the download now in your updates...
    Follow the link awslot posted 2.1 update kills battery life.in that thread on about page 3 there is a post the guy says for people running bb v9 download this otacert.zip file....after you download the file use root explorer to move the otacertz.zip to ur etc/security file...u must hit he mount r/w button at the top and change the permissions on the otacerts file (check the read and write box under the user)to move it but once its moved the update will prompt you to install now or later hit now let it run and sprecovery will block the update from finishing then when your phone reboots go to your phone and updates it will say system is up to date......i was a little worried at first but
    I followed exactly what he said and this def works.
    Last edited by actngrezy; 04-18-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by awsolot View Post

yes. if you do that, it will fix it, and fix your battery life.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by awsolot View Post

Downloaded the otacerts.zip file in this thread and followed the instructions. The notification is no longer there!

Thanks!

p.s. if you don't want to use root explorer to do this, just put the file on your SD card, open a terminal on your phone, and use the busybox cp command to copy the file to the /etc/security/ folder.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Quote Originally Posted by actngrezy View Post
    BYou cant disable it but you can make it so your system says up to date and no longer re downloads or has the download now in your updates...
    Follow the link awslot posted 2.1 update kills battery life.in that thread on about page 3 there is a post the guy says for people running bb v9 download this otacert.zip file....after you download the file use root explorer to move the otacertz.zip to ur etc/security file...u must hit he mount r/w button at the top and change the permissions on the otacerts file (check the read and write box under the user)to move it but once its moved the update will prompt you to install now or later hit now let it run and sprecovery will block the update from finishing then when your phone reboots go to your phone and updates it will say system is up to date......i was a little worried at first but
    I followed exactly what he said and this def works.
    Both mine and my friend's droid's with BB.9 were drinking battery as of late. I applied this fix, and now the battery is lasting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY longer.

Links