DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: BB problem vs Google problem (maybe both?)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

BB problem vs Google problem (maybe both?)

There's two parts to the "issue" at hand, so let me just explain. I've been using the stable Froyo BB for a while now. I tried GPA a while back, but had issues with it, so I went back to what I knew worked for me. Since Peter released a Gingerbread-based BB, I decided it was time to move forward. Wiped everything, installed, no issues. Signed into my Google account, and it proceeded to download a ton of apps, including ones that I hadn't used in months, and leaving others off the list entirely. OK, no problem, cleaned up the installed apps. Then I proceeded to import a bunch of app data, text messages, and whatnot via Titanium.

The next day I suffered random data disconnects. The signal bar would show full, but white instead of green with no 1x or 3G icon, and the data connection would be unavailable to apps. Rebooting solved it, but I was forced to reboot three or four times the first day because it kept happening. Tired of such shenanigans, I wiped the phone again, re-installed BB, and logged into Google convinced that I had screwed up by re-importing too much from my Titanium backup and screwed something up in the process.

Thing is, this time it didn't download any apps for me. It also didn't import LAN settings, browser bookmarks, bluetooth pairings, nothing. Tonight, I went back to my Nandroid backup of my Froyo based BB install, and all is back to normal. It's not perfect, but it works, and all my settings are there.

1. So, did I do something wrong that Google decided not give me my apps and settings again like it had the first time? Can I see that list somewhere online and edit it so I don't get a ton of apps I no longer use?

2. Does the current gingerbread based BB have data problems, or did I muck it up somehow? FWIW, I didn't have any data issues today, but I connect to various WiFi networks and bluetooth devices throughout the day. I really didn't want to have to set all that up all over again.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The latest build is updated to 2.3.7 which should resolve the data disconnects.

Google will only restore apps if you go through the complete setup process. So at first boot click the green android and go through logon process. If you skip and come back to it later it wont restore your apps.

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    OK, so even though the sign in screen says you can do all that later, you really can't if you want it to work properly? Good to know.

What about the "back from the dead" apps that I had previously removed but installed themselves when the phone synced itself with Google the first time? Is there any way around that phenomenon? I had removed a few of those apps months ago.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Maybe set your phone up the way you want and sync / backup? Not sure I never use Google to restore anything

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by JonYaya View Post
    OK, so even though the sign in screen says you can do all that later, you really can't if you want it to work properly? Good to know.

What about the "back from the dead" apps that I had previously removed but installed themselves when the phone synced itself with Google the first time? Is there any way around that phenomenon? I had removed a few of those apps months ago.
    Are you "removing" the apps via Ti BU or possible a file manager? If so you are not really "uninstalling" them through "My Apps" which probably does not tell Google servers that you have removed it. My apps that I uninstalled still show up on my "Android Market Account" Page but they never get installed/restored by Google when I set up the phone after a flash.

Good observation on skipping the first sign on screwing with the restoration Chewy... I never put the two together.
    Moto Droid Maxx... Stock... for now!
    Moto Droid Razr... 4.1.2 JB OTA installed and rooted using Matt's Utility... Thanks Matt!

Moto Xoom WiFi ... 4.2.2 JB Ported by Dreamcwli

Moto Sliver Bluetooth

Moto S11-Flex HD Wireless Stereo Headphones... Thanks Droid Forums!

Links