DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: GPA16 super laggy on D1

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

GPA16 super laggy on D1

I've been using bugless beast since Pete's first release, and have always been very happy with.

I went to UltimateDroid a couple of months back just to test the other waters (forgive me for straying from the path).

Dropped GPA16 on my phone with Pete's SV v2 1ghz kernel.

Initially the phone was fairly snappy, but has since slowed to a snails pace.

Sometimes hitting the power button doesn't result in an unlock screen for 3-4 seconds.

When I am receiving a call, I can feel it vibrating in my pocket, get it out, and it's still a black screen. Waiting 5-7 seconds produces the answer screen, but even then, sometimes it's glitchy. Sometimes the first second of an answered call is broadcast through speakerphone, and then goes back to normal.

Keyboard is laggy as well, sometimes even crashing. I'm using ADW launcher.

Just wondering what to try. I'd love to stay with the latest and greatest release. Should I try another version of Pete's kernel? Another make of kernel all together? Back in v.4 I never had these problems with Chevy kernels.

I installed the ROM with ROM Manager. Is that a no-no? I did wipe cache and data.

Do having an abundance of apps result in less memory available to run the phone? Using Advanced Task Killer, I've sometimes got as little as 30M of available memory. I'm running Fancy widget on my desktop and that's it. I only use one desktop also (I hate clutter). Internal storage results of the phone are 208MB used, 54MB free. I'm not sure if this has any effect on the phone itself.

I'm using SetCPU to control UC/OC. Max is 900MHz, min is 600MHz (I increased it from 400 as a result of unlock lag and the phone call issue- didn't help). Scaling is interactive.

Please help me out. It's weird to me to have a laggy phone when it used to be so snappy.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

me too

I was having the same exact experience.I've been a gpa user for quite awhile and was frustrated by the lag with gpa16. I downloaded the v6 supercharger script and it improved things a lot. I still don't have the snappiness as I did with previous roms but it definitely helped. I would recommend giving it try.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    RAZR2
    Also, try other kernels as well.

I'm using Chevy's medium voltage 900mhz kernel @ smartass right now.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    I don't even know where to begin, but I better make it fast considering I'm on a Gingerbread ROM (GPA16 to be exact, but it is the same story regardless of which 2.3.x ROM I use). My keyboard might crap out the web browser at any time lol.

Browsing blows-doesn't matter which browser I use. Stock to Dolphin...same thing. It just sits there and hangs half the time. If I set my launcher to 0 instead of 1 or 2 (local.prop), then the browser will just close by itself without any warning or anything helpful in the logcat. But assuming I'm not using any memory adjustments, it seems as if I'm browsing the web on a blazing fast 66MHz processor. Fun times.

And lord, if I have to type something while on the web, such as this, I better pray that nothing locks up on me. Yeah I've wiped, I've not wiped, I've manually cleaned every partition. Same thing every time. Doesn't matter which browser I use. I swear, it seems as if the phone is running at <= 200MHz half the time.

Sometimes however it works fine. Browsing in Root Explorer was a chore today as well. Was so slow to change directories, I was constantly clicking "wait". These are NOT the GB ROMs initially flashed. Now, those were fast and snappy. Then Froyo code had to be added in order to get GB to work right, and now I'm here, frustrated. I won't be going back, as I'll keep going until myself or somebody else can get this running smoothly.

It runs smooth most of the time however. If I could figure out the web browsing and file browsing bugs, then I'll be extremely happy And thanks for bringing a stable GB to us Pete regardless of my ranting here. Just been ticking me off today and these last little bugs are irritating.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the replies.

I've since switched to Pete's v3 increased voltage 1.2 GHz kernel and things seem to be snappier. I was previously running his v2 standard voltage 1GHz kernel. I made the poor assumption that since I've always run fine on standard voltage kernels that Pete's would be any different.

Now I'll just keep an eye on battery life and temperature.

What is the v6 supercharger script?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    G'Nex
    +1 I used it for about 4 hours on Saturday and went back to .6.2.1. I originally dropped it since I was starting to have some issues with more lag after switching to overclocked kernels. I switched back with a clean install and it runs just fine. The main reason that kept me from staying on CM7 was that God Awful launcher.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The V6 supercharger script is some sort of memory manager that is customizable. It's free and downloadable. You basically download the script in zip format, extract it and then run it from script manager, another free program from the market. You can choose how much memory is kept free. It helped my phone.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    Well, in case anybody was having the same issues as I was (some apps running poorly and lagging horribly), I finally found the solution. I was parsing through build.prop, and noticed that the starting dalvik vm heap size was set too low. It was set to 10m so I bumped that number up to a more reasonable size for Gingerbread (in my case, 24m, but you might want to play around a little to find what best suits you). The max heap size that I had set worked fine so I didn't have to touch that. I'm not sure if the setting for the starting heap size is baked into the ROM in build.prop, so give me a second and I'll verify the property name and post it here.

Edit: Ok, got it.

Code:
    # If the startheapsize property is too low, larger apps such as web browsers will lag 
    # behind as the heap is contiinously allocated more memory until it reaches it's max
    # size. The heapsize property is the maximum amount of memory that will be allocated
    # before garbage collection begins. Obviously, this number should be => than the
    # startheapsize size. The startheapsize property might need to be manually added as 
    # I'm not sure if Pete included this in the ROM. 
    dalvik.vm.startheapsize=24m
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=44m
    Last edited by HarvesterX™; 07-26-2011 at 08:41 AM.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I went back to the last beta build because I was having the same issue, although I just tried upgrading from the beta and didn't do all the wipes.

Also stepped up to Chevy's LV 1100 kernel and things have been better (ULV doesn't cut it). I'm running pretty good, other than a problem with Xscope force closing and getting tempermental. Other than that, I did the local.prop fix and have no redraw and not much lag.

Maybe the best my phone has run...just 2 months until I upgrade to the Bionic!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I had the same problem at first, and was actually horribly dissapointed with performance! Nomrally I'm happy with pete's rom at his o/c setting of 800mhz, and usually takes me until I start playing some heavy games to finally change it up lol. This time I didn't even start restoring apps before upping to 1.2ghz.. Currently running Chevyno1's 1.2ghz LV and it's blazing. I did notice a difference in rendering between chevys and petes kernels though. Maybe that is something to do with it? Oh yes, and CPU settings are min 250, max 1200, interactive governer.

Links