DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apps2sd on ext partition with gpa15

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Apps2sd on ext partition with gpa15

New thread made for problems getting apps2sd ext to work on gpa15 and/or other pete roms. I have tried dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2 and dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04 and whatever mr_silent linked to although I wasnt totally sure on which options to choose with it... and with all three of those I tried, I tried with chevy kernels, peter alfonsos kernels..... the roms I have tried are cm7 stable release 7.0.3, cm7 7.1.0 rc1, petes gpa15, latest gb 2.3.4 beta from pete..... steel droid 7.2 with petes kernels..... all with the same result... my ext partition is not mounting... oh yea, I also, tried ext2 and ext3 partitions, made ext partitions with CWM, nd also tried making ext partition from "apps2sd check" in terminal.... any help is appreciated.... need anymore info from me or for me to try something, let me know, nothing but time here right now...lol

EDIT: Forgot to say above... I'm not trying any crazy size for the ext partition or anything, its 512mb size.....
    Last edited by diesburg; 07-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855
    Petes kernels only support ext4 format. That's why I recommend chevy's. Rom manager doesn't format ext4 so id recommend gparted for this. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    Read the instructions carefully. This is the best software I've found for formatting just about all types of memory. You'll have to make sure and uncheck the "align to mb" option and set it to "align to none". I'm still backing up my sdcard so give me a few minutes to get back.

Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_silent View Post
    Petes kernels only support ext4 format. That's why I recommend chevy's. Rom manager doesn't format ext4 so id recommend gparted for this. GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
    Read the instructions carefully. This is the best software I've found for formatting just about all types of memory. You'll have to make sure and uncheck the "align to mb" option and set it to "align to none". I'm still backing up my sdcard so give me a few minutes to get back.

Awesome, my ext partition is currently formatted as ext4 so I'll leave it be for now. I've got several different linux distros installed on a couple external drives, so formatting ext4 with linux isn't a problem. I believe gparted is even already installed on my ubuntu. I'm getting different things happening now that I try ext4. It still doesn't mount right, but when I run the command "apps2sd check" I get "permission denied" now.... never got that before I formatted to ext4, apps2sd always gave me status before.... and my terminal does have SU permissions in case you're wondering..... This happens after I install darktremor apps2sd script on a fresh rom install...... and like I said, ext4 partition now..... here are some erros I get when I try to "force sd-ext mount script" using fr-patch141-BETA2 , one of the scripts you originally linked me to.

after choosing option "0" to execute force sd-ext mount operation I get this:

expr: syntax error
    [: 67: unknown operand
    expr: syntax error
    [: 67: unknown operand
    /system/etc/init.d/*userinit*: No such file or directory
    /dev/05mountsd: e2fsck: permission denied
    Usage: mount [-r] (dont think this line matters, omitting from post)
    mount sd-ext installed
    ================================
    grep: /system/etc/custom_backup_list.txt: No such file or ddirectory
    mountrw: not found
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855
    I assume you've ran fix permissions already.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    I assume you've ran fix permissions already.

I may have got it working.... let me tinker for a few more..... need to clear some caches I think, apps are failing from the market.....
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855
    I hope so cause I'm having trouble using rom manager to partition. Can't find my gparted iso and I'm stuck with an xp laptop. Gonna try and run mke2fs.

8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    once you figure this out please email me so I dont have to keep up with this thread, even if the email is as simple as telling me you need ext3 or ext2 modules with my kernel.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    I hope so cause I'm having trouble using rom manager to partition. Can't find my gparted iso and I'm stuck with an xp laptop. Gonna try and run mke2fs.

Try "Minitool partition wizard home edition" its free for home use and worked great for making ext partitions for android on a number of other phones..... before when it worked on other phones, I just made my fat32 partition first as primary partition, then the ext4 with the remainder of the space, also as primary partition...... never failed me before...
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralfonso View Post
    once you figure this out please email me so I dont have to keep up with this thread, even if the email is as simple as telling me you need ext3 or ext2 modules with my kernel.
    Will do, one quick question, if I can get this working succesfully, would it be ok with you if I made an "edit" of your rom and posted it on xda and here.... the edit would have simple changes such as some extra apps, adw launcher instead of default, aps2sdext already installed, maybe a different bootanimation.... also, if I can, I will post all credits to you letting ppl know I just made a few simple changes to make the rom more ideal for me and a link to the original thread and a paypal donation link to you if you have one.......if not cool, I understand, you probably put a lot of work and time into this rom....
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Well, I kind of got it working on a rom.... chevy's latest SS rom..... it says on his kernel thread, ext2 modules must be loaded with lns or something like that... or you can load them with the tools in his rom so I tried it.... in the tools, you can enable ext2/3 or 4...... and it worked when I mounted it... so, to do that with your rom and his kernel, I need to load the modules with lns or whatever he said.... which I am totally clueless about right now so I am googling that up to see if I could at least get his kernel and your rom working with a2sdext...... and if i can, move on to your kernel....

EDIT: forgot to say, I have to manually remount every boot

I have now been able to repeat the process on GPA15 with chevy kernel and ext2/3, and steel droid with chevy kernel.... but cant do the same thing on the same rom with your kernel anyways, I think some stuff isnt loading right.... for chevy's kernel on your rom... all i have to do is "insmod /system/lib/modules/mbcache.ko and ext2.ko and then make the sd-ext directory, then it mounts no problem..... cant get the module to load using insmod because doing the same thing it says no such file or directory.... and i know ext4.ko is there, i checked.... also, modprobe doesnt work, its pointing to the wrong directory /lib/modules/ instead of /SYSTEM/lib/modules i think ??? ANd I think where a2sd scripts (ive been messing with several different ones) are looking for ext partition in the wrong place... if im right, they are looking at /dev/block/blk1p2 and it should be blk0p2 ??? well, it's a start to working apps2ext hopefully this can get all the way figured out.... i will be busy today so i wont have time to mess with it much more for about 12 hours....lol... wish I could be more help to the community but I'm only a little ways into android, not so awesome with android like others here....
    Last edited by diesburg; 07-11-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links