DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: which battery to buy

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by lanza_david View Post
    Also, @juhde, some people recommend to have the phone plugged in whenever possible, so when I am at work and I can, I have it plugged in, and also during my 1/2 hour commute each way. What do you think?
    bad, Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge cycles, each time you plug it in you use up two of them as the molecules switch from discharging to charging, and then back to discharging when you unplug it.
    This is not to be confused with "memory" problems which is something that develops in NiCad batteries where, while storing a full charge, the anode and cathode develop crystals which eventually bridge the two terminals of the battery the same way having a wire going from + to - does (except on the inside).
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Calibrated the battery yesterday. The phone turned off last night, but it was in the X for just a few seconds before shutting down. Charged it over night and used it today moderately to heavy in the morning and not at all during the afternoon. It was at 40% in the afternoon. The WHOLE afternoon at 40%. It is like it is not using power at all.

I then used the audible app during my commute home, and it was at 30% when I got here. After about an hour, I checked and it was at 20% and plugged it in. 11 hours to 20%. Not bad, but I thought it was going to be better. I think it is the age of the battery, although it is the stock one.

However, it is not bad, and if I keep it charged, I think this battery will last for a while longer. GPA is great, and I think after flashing a LV Kernel, it will be even better.

Thanks everyone for your help, and comments.

Visitors to my thread, feel free to give more input ;-)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by rancur3p1c View Post
    Also, @juhde, some people recommend to have the phone plugged in whenever possible, so when I am at work and I can, I have it plugged in, and also during my 1/2 hour commute each way. What do you think?
    bad, Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge cycles, each time you plug it in you use up two of them as the molecules switch from discharging to charging, and then back to discharging when you unplug it.
    This is not to be confused with "memory" problems which is something that develops in NiCad batteries where, while storing a full charge, the anode and cathode develop crystals which eventually bridge the two terminals of the battery the same way having a wire going from + to - does (except on the inside).
    Thanks @rancur3p1c, I had not seen your comment.

What you explain may be the reason that @juhde's 2009 original battery is giving him so much life now. As he said, he waits until the phone asks to be charged.

So, what you recommend is not to leave it plugged in. Now, that is hard in the car where the only way for the screen to be on is if it is plugged in, and if you do not get a full charge, then you lost a cycle there. But I guess it is better than plugging and unplugging it several times during the day.

Now, also what I understand is that the life of the battery is not only cycles, but the number of life cycles decreases the deeper you discharge it. If you always charge the battery when it gets to say, 15% charge, it will have less life cycles than if you charge it when it gets to 50%. What do you know about that?

Could you please expand on some recommendations on how to treat Lithium batteries?

Thanks!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I was researching the subject and found this very good info

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University
  5. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    juhde
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Premium Member
    @lanza

So all in all you found some better battery life out of it?

Give it a few days too, it may get even better. I've heard it takes a few days for a rom to settle in when it comes to battery life.

Glad you got positive results.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    iPhone - You're holding it wrong.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    @juhde, yes, I have a feeling that it is better. Thanks for the info!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid

GPA15 - Battery Life while mostly idle

WOW! this ROM is SO energy efficient! I guess it is because of Peter's governor, and that it goes down to a lower frequency while idle. I can't imagine how much better it will be with a LV kernel!

90% after 5 hours and 40 min, and 80% after 8 hours and 17 minutes!

I had to plug it in in the car because I did not want the screen to turn off.

This is AMAZING!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which battery to buy-screenshot.jpg   which battery to buy-screenshot_1.jpg   which battery to buy-screenshot_2.jpg   which battery to buy-screenshot_3.jpg  
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by rancur3p1c View Post
    Thanks @rancur3p1c, I had not seen your comment.

What you explain may be the reason that @juhde's 2009 original battery is giving him so much life now. As he said, he waits until the phone asks to be charged.

So, what you recommend is not to leave it plugged in. Now, that is hard in the car where the only way for the screen to be on is if it is plugged in, and if you do not get a full charge, then you lost a cycle there. But I guess it is better than plugging and unplugging it several times during the day.

Now, also what I understand is that the life of the battery is not only cycles, but the number of life cycles decreases the deeper you discharge it. If you always charge the battery when it gets to say, 15% charge, it will have less life cycles than if you charge it when it gets to 50%. What do you know about that?

Could you please expand on some recommendations on how to treat Lithium batteries?

Thanks!
    People say it's OK to charge it when it's at 50%, and it technically is, but I'd rather avoid it since there are a limited number of charge cycles. Personally, I try to run the battery all the way down before plugging it back in. The lower the battery % is on average, the better-- this is why it is recommended to store Lithium batteries at 40% charge-- doing this they only drop to about 95% of capacity after a year of storage. If you charged it to 100% before storing, after a year the capacity of the battery in milliamp-hours would have decreased to 80% what it was new. It's because of this, combined with the limited # of charge cycles, that I prefer to run my battery as low as is reasonable. I've not heard that discharging it all the way is bad for it-- in fact the lithium batteries I've used *seem* (this is all very unscientific keep in mind-- just stuff I've observed, which is pretty subjective) to continue to work better with a full discharge every several charges-- so maybe every 5th charge you let it drain all the way until it's dead.

Now, all these things said, you can get legit motorola batteries for your droid brand new for <$5.
    Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories
    At <$5/pop it doesn't really matter how you treat it, you can replace it any time you want! Hence I have a total of 4 batteries-- 2 that I swap back and forth, and the other 2 for...whenever.

Then, buy one of these: Amazon.com: Motorola OEM P323 Spare Battery Charger Only with MicroUSB and MiniUSB Connectors for Different Battery Families: Cell Phones & Accessories
    and you basically never have to plug your droid in for charging.
    This charges the battery much slower (about 4 hours as opposed to 2) than the droid does when plugged into the wall, and this slower charging seems to help the battery hold more charge. It certainly will lengthen the life of your battery-- if you've ever wondered why the Iphone batteries are so crappy after just a year's worth of use, it's because they completely nuke the battery in order to charge it fast.

The biggest killer of battery life to me seems to be letting the battery get hot and continuing to use the phone. There's a reason that they limit the CPU to 550mhz on our original droid, its because the battery can supply that and the display at full brightness without the battery getting hot. Overclocked but undervolted at 700mhz seems to be ok, but push it to 900mhz and use the phone heavily and I notice the battery gets warm... am trying to keep my overclock down to keep from destroying the batteries, the first battery I bought is already at about the original battery's life (ability to hold storage) because I've let it get too hot (>40C while using it heavily-- just yesterday it hit 45C).

anyways I hope this is helpful, I sure have rambled a lot....
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    WOW! this ROM is SO energy efficient! I guess it is because of Peter's governor, and that it goes down to a lower frequency while idle. I can't imagine how much better it will be with a LV kernel!

90% after 5 hours and 40 min, and 80% after 8 hours and 17 minutes!

I had to plug it in in the car because I did not want the screen to turn off.

This is AMAZING!

careful, it depends on how the rom reports battery life.
    The thing with Lithium batteries is their voltage level does not change linearly with amount of battery life. That's why some ROMs will report 100->70% for about 7 hours and then from hour 7-10 it drops like a rock from 70%->15%.

it's better to just rely on your own memory of usage habits, since the way the % is reported varies between ROMs.
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Thanks for letting me know about this battery, it looks nice: seidioonline.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links