DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: which battery to buy

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by lanza_david View Post

Good to know. Thanks. Do you have the exact amazon link to the battery and charger?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Here are the exact ones that I bought:

Here's the link to the battery:

Amazon.com: Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories

And the charger:

Amazon.com: Motorola SPN5564A P323 Platform Battery Only Charger for Motorola Droid Motorola CLIQ: Cell Phones & Accessories
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I too have several (bought 3 they were so cheap) of those $3 batteries from amazon+external charger. What I've noticed is after use for a few weeks they degrade to almost my original battery life--they do the same drop from 40%->20% quick. Not as bad as original though.

But yeah simple to carry 2nd battery in pocket.

I think some of the life degredation may have something to do with nuking the battery...OC and using heavily so that battery heats up to >40C. Problem is that I keep phone in pocket against skin and 98.6F is 40C...so doesn't give much room to work with.
    So far I've only stressed 1 of the 3 batteries I bought, haven't used the others, planning on going bone stock / undervolting it, and trying to not use it super heavily, for a month, and see if I develop the same battery problem. Cause for the first few days on the new battery I used seemed like a marked improvement.
  4. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    juhde
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Premium Member
    I've rooted and over clocked since day one and have had varying battery life depending on my set up of the week lol.

One thing to look into is calibration. The easiest way to check is to let your battery drain till you get the X with the red border which means your phone should shut off within a few minutes. If it's miscalibrated the phone can potentially stay powered up for an hour or more! (my personal record is 1 hour 45 minutes on a "dead battery")

Fortunately this is a pretty easy fix, fully charge the phone once it reads full, leave it on the charger for another hour or so. Or if you're using raids zero recovery, once you're charged up boot into recovery and check the battery status, you may find it to only be 80% charged goo ahead and let it finish up in recovery checking every 10 minutes or so till it reads 100.

Now go to your wipe menu and wipe the battery stats, reboot and use the phone normally until it completely dies, once it turns itself off give it an uninterrupted charge.

Congratulations you just recalibrated your battery.

Now if you're using GPA15, don't flash another kernel, use the stock one it's already running the unreleased v.2 kernel.

Also, uninstall setcpu. I know you really want to overclock but this setup runs surprisingly smooth and lag free. Once Pete releases stable version we can overclock to your hearts content until then I suggest just staying at 600 megahertz.

With just those easy to do mods I'm hitting monster battery life with my original battery from 2009 release of the phone.

which battery to buy-uploadfromtaptalk1303662939134.jpg

Last edited by juhde; 04-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    iPhone - You're holding it wrong.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    @juhde, this is impressive. Thanks. Now, if I do not have raids zero recovery, how do you recommend to charge it completely?

Edit: I re-read your post and you say to leave it on the charger after it says 100%. Now, I,ve noticed that the charging light turns off when the phone says 100%. Is the battery charging? even though the light is off, and it says "charged" on the lock screen?
    Last edited by lanza_david; 04-24-2011 at 12:32 PM.
  6. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    juhde
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Premium Member
    @juhde, this is impressive. Thanks. Now, if I do not have raids zero recovery, how do you recommend to charge it completely?
    Just charge it normally, rzr is just good for double checking, I've seen android report a full charge while the recovery shows only 80%. So I just like to double check. That's why if you're not using raidzero recovery I recommended leaving it charging for a hour or so after it says charged.

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by juhde View Post
    Just charge it normally, rzr is just good for double checking, I've seen android report a full charge while the recovery shows only 80%. So I just like to double check. That's why if you're not using raidzero recovery I recommended leaving it charging for a hour or so after it says charged.

Thanks! but did you see my

Edit: I re-read your post and you say to leave it on the charger after it says 100%. Now, I,ve noticed that the charging light turns off when the phone says 100%. Is the battery charging? even though the light is off, and it says "charged" on the lock screen?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Also, @juhde, some people recommend to have the phone plugged in whenever possible, so when I am at work and I can, I have it plugged in, and also during my 1/2 hour commute each way. What do you think?
  9. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    juhde
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Premium Member
    My thoughts on that subject are that the battery is still drawing current, maybe not a full blown charge current, but the battery is still being fed.

The android OS is telling the battery%, it's also telling that light to turn off. establishing that the % can be wrong, so is the light. It's a reminder more than a definite answer to whether or not the battery is actually getting a charge. When charging in recovery the light doesn't turn on but it's still charging.

It couldn't hurt to leave it plugged in just to be sure.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks! I'll try that! I might not even need to buy batteries anyway! (even if they are so cheap)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links