DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid gets a bit fiesty and hot on gpa14

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Droid gets a bit fiesty and hot on gpa14

Like I said my droid BATTERY is getting hot. I've been using gpa14 for 2 months (about) and I've never had this problem. The problem started when I arrived at florida(comming from new york). I'm pretty sure the problem has to do something with being at florida. Not from the warmer temp, but I think from longer distance for connection possibly. I'm not sure... it hovers around 95-104. I don't really like using it anywhere over 100. At ny, it usually stayed in the low 90s. I'm using the stock 600mhz kernel so that should lower the heat if anything. I'm going to try to take wifi off so it'll start searching for it, ill see if that works. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.

3. DHO
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Sounds like your phone is asking for GPA 15

Are you in a rural area? Are you searching for 3G or signal?
    GNex: AXI0M 2.4 with Nova Launcher and custom theme @ 1.2GHz
    RIP: Droid GPA18 2.3.7 with LauncherPro Plus and custom theme @ 1.0GHz
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    No, I am fine with 3g connection. Imma look into 15 and look at the changelog

Droid 1

Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    is the problemm with the rom or kernel?
    Droid 1

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Android Rule
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    One thing I learned from overclocking PCs and using crazy fans and heatsinks to cool them... Ambient temperature is going to affect your operating temperature. My PC runs warmer when the house temperature is warmer.

From what I've been seeing, temperatures are about 10-15 degrees hotter in Florida, so that makes sense to me.

However... Also... What's up with your NY temperature? I live in NJ, so we have similar weather. My phone right now is 77*F as per Battery Indicator Pro with the 1GHz low-voltage kernel under GPA14.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well I'm pretty sure the outside temp has nothing to do with droid temp. I switched to gpa15 and it didn't really fix the problem so I really think it has something to do with florida

Droid 1

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Android Rule
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

Droid 1

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Android Rule
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post

One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD3 View Post

One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
    In ny the temp was fine. When it was idle in ny it was high 70s to low 80s. Somewhere around there (I don't really check too often when its idle). After a bit of use id say it would be at 94 or somethin

Droid 1

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Android Rule
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD3 View Post

In ny the temp was fine. When it was idle in ny it was high 70s to low 80s. Somewhere around there (I don't really check too often when its idle). After a bit of use id say it would be at 94 or somethin

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the ambient temperature difference, then. Nothing abnormal about what you're talking about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links