DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Droid gets a bit fiesty and hot on gpa14

  1. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Droid gets a bit fiesty and hot on gpa14

    Like I said my droid BATTERY is getting hot. I've been using gpa14 for 2 months (about) and I've never had this problem. The problem started when I arrived at florida(comming from new york). I'm pretty sure the problem has to do something with being at florida. Not from the warmer temp, but I think from longer distance for connection possibly. I'm not sure... it hovers around 95-104. I don't really like using it anywhere over 100. At ny, it usually stayed in the low 90s. I'm using the stock 600mhz kernel so that should lower the heat if anything. I'm going to try to take wifi off so it'll start searching for it, ill see if that works. Any suggestions?

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. DHO
    DHO is offline
    Senior Droid
    DHO's Avatar
    Member #
    124347
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    249
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #2
    Sounds like your phone is asking for GPA 15

    Are you in a rural area? Are you searching for 3G or signal?
    GNex: AXI0M 2.4 with Nova Launcher and custom theme @ 1.2GHz
    RIP: Droid GPA18 2.3.7 with LauncherPro Plus and custom theme @ 1.0GHz
  4. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #3
    No, I am fine with 3g connection. Imma look into 15 and look at the changelog

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  5. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #4
    is the problemm with the rom or kernel?
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  6. Droid
    GilmourD3's Avatar
    Member #
    190565
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    One thing I learned from overclocking PCs and using crazy fans and heatsinks to cool them... Ambient temperature is going to affect your operating temperature. My PC runs warmer when the house temperature is warmer.

    From what I've been seeing, temperatures are about 10-15 degrees hotter in Florida, so that makes sense to me.

    However... Also... What's up with your NY temperature? I live in NJ, so we have similar weather. My phone right now is 77*F as per Battery Indicator Pro with the 1GHz low-voltage kernel under GPA14.
  7. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    Well I'm pretty sure the outside temp has nothing to do with droid temp. I switched to gpa15 and it didn't really fix the problem so I really think it has something to do with florida

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  8. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #7
    Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  9. Droid
    GilmourD3's Avatar
    Member #
    190565
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post
    Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

    That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

    I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

    I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
  10. Droid Ninja
    doublea500's Avatar
    Member #
    94048
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post
    Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

    That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

    I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

    I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
    In ny the temp was fine. When it was idle in ny it was high 70s to low 80s. Somewhere around there (I don't really check too often when its idle). After a bit of use id say it would be at 94 or somethin

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1

    Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.


    Now-[U]GPA19

    Galaxy Nexus!

    Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

    Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

    Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  11. Droid
    GilmourD3's Avatar
    Member #
    190565
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post
    Actually it may have to do with the outside temp. 76-83 degrees...

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    One thing to learn about passive cooling (cooling using heatsinks and fans or even water cooling, which is more efficient but still not active cooling) is that you can NEVER cool a processor below ambient temperature. Usually, even at that point, you're still several degrees warmer than ambient.

    That is true until you get into active cooling, like using TECs or doing what my friend Mark did (dropping his PC without a case into a vat of dry ice). At that point, you're cooling with something that's below ambient.

    I haven't seen any smartphone boards with heatsinks on them, especially since there's no way to get airflow through them... So, yeah, a chip without any cooling system is going to run warmer than ambient.

    I'm still concerned, though, given that even in NY with its much cooler temperatures you were running in the 90* range. Was this idle or after a lot of use?
    In ny the temp was fine. When it was idle in ny it was high 70s to low 80s. Somewhere around there (I don't really check too often when its idle). After a bit of use id say it would be at 94 or somethin

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the ambient temperature difference, then. Nothing abnormal about what you're talking about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
  2. GPA14 Camera Problem
    By v!nce in forum Bugless
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 08:00 AM
  3. Back to Stock from GPA14
    By kevev99 in forum Bugless
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
  4. Which kernel are you using for gpa14?
    By doublea500 in forum Bugless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
  5. GPA14 to bugless
    By remnant in forum Bugless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Search tags for this page

back of motorola droid gets hot
,
droid 2 gets hot when gps
,
droid battery gets hot
,
droid battery problem hot
,

droid gets hot

,
droid gets hot when talking
,

my phone battery tempature is 83 degrees

,
razr hot
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+