DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Task Manager Too Aggressive In Gingerbread...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Task Manager Too Aggressive In Gingerbread...

Is anyone else having trouble with the task manager in Gingergread??? I can't even leave an app without it being killed. Try to load my feeds and leave the screen...dead. Try to download an app and leave the screen...dead. Try to play a game...a minute in = dead. What is up with this? I love this ROM so much, but I can't deal with this. Insight or opinions please?
    Last edited by peteralfonso; 03-14-2011 at 09:03 PM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 [Rooted]
    It is because Gingerbread is much more memory intensive than Froyo. That is why it will not be released on the Droid 1. It doesn't have the memory for it. So apps get killed by the OS more often since there is less free memory.

One thing you can try is enabling compcache. It is basically a swap file and uses space on your memory card as "memory". People have varying success with it. Some have no problems, some it kills their battery, some say it slows their phone after a while. Personally, I have had it slow my phone to a crawl a couple times as well as cause reboots, but to me it is the only way to live with GB and it isn't that big of a deal.
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer

Thumbs up

My Droid runs like Forrest Gump on GPA13 without compcache!

The Sourcery Nexus: Hey, at least it's not crack!!!

Bean Picker The Jelly Bean theme that is any color you want it to be!

Droid Forums
    Rootz Wiki
    XDA
    Team Sourcery Forums

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I dont have alot of issues with GB over aggressively killing apps and I am a heavy user. I do use compcache enable and over time it does slow my phone but I just have got in the habit of rebooting every morning which solves this problem for me.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb15613 View Post
    My Droid runs like Forrest Gump on GPA13 without compcache!
    This just made my night...LOL. I have been a big supporter of compcache since it became available. The problems proceed. Just getting frustrated and don't won't to go back to v6.2.1.
  7. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    juhde
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Premium Member
    I don't have any problem with gingerbread killing an app I'm actually in the middle of using. Sounds like a bad install to me. I also do not use compcache and my phone runs fine.

GPA13, chevy LV 1.2Ghz 3/3/11 kernel, setcpu min 125 max 800 conservative scaling. 102 various apps, adwEX launcher, fancy widget pro, bbc news, google voice, and a tesla flash light widget. Everything works fine.

I suggest re installing. fully charge your battery, boot into recovery, wipe everything data, cache, system, boot, dalvik cache, and battery stats. Flash gpa13, immediately flash a new kernel (i suggest chevys, they work the best for my phone), boot up and do your titanium restore.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you might want to un root, go completely back to stock, root again and try again. One day outta the blue stuff just started closing on me, nothing would fix it till I tried that, been fine since.

Cheers

Sent from my Droid
    iPhone - You're holding it wrong.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Will someone here do me a favor???

Go to the market and download "Grave Defense Silver" (Free...and an awesome tower defense game by the way), and just tell me if you can make it through more than a level without the game just being killed (not force closed). If anyone can do this please provide more info such as Kernel, ROM, compcache state and what-not. Thanks guys!!!

If someone can get this to work, then I can assume that I had a bad install, and I will SBF and try again!
    Last edited by subyfan; 03-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I just downloaded grave defense silver and it ran fine. I have no idea what the game is all about but I managed to get to level two. Not sure how I did it. Seems like kind of a stupid game. But whatever. Any rate...the Droid never crashed or the game never closed. I had to hit exit to make it go away.

I am running GPA13 with Pete's 1ghz lv kernel. No comp cache. I am using Launcher Pro but tried it in both Launcher Pro and the stock launcher. Both worked fine.

I also opened several apps and switched between the apps, with no loss of data, by holding down the home button.

When I installed GPA13, then the kernel, I then deleted cache and data through sprecovery. Reinstalled all apps through google sync, not through any of the backup apps. Maybe try that. You'll get a pure, clean install this way.

Nate
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid unrootedd
    Question, I'm runnin 2.3.3 peters and must say its smooth, I have the og d1. What I was wondering is if I flash a new kernel do I have to do a security wipe in order to use the 1ghz kernel? I know I have to overclock. Thanks any response is a good response.

2.3.3, giddy up now yaah!
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Strange...

Quote Originally Posted by nateccnn View Post
    I just downloaded grave defense silver and it ran fine. I have no idea what the game is all about but I managed to get to level two. Not sure how I did it. Seems like kind of a stupid game. But whatever. Any rate...the Droid never crashed or the game never closed. I had to hit exit to make it go away.

I am running GPA13 with Pete's 1ghz lv kernel. No comp cache. I am using Launcher Pro but tried it in both Launcher Pro and the stock launcher. Both worked fine.

I also opened several apps and switched between the apps, with no loss of data, by holding down the home button.

When I installed GPA13, then the kernel, I then deleted cache and data through sprecovery. Reinstalled all apps through google sync, not through any of the backup apps. Maybe try that. You'll get a pure, clean install this way.

Nate
    This is EXACTLY how I installed, and I am using the same kernel. Just SBF'd and reinstalled...we shall see. In the meantime, if anyone else has any ideas, let me know.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links