DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPAx Problems and solutions and explanations thread.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

GPAx Problems/Solutions/Explanations Thread.

I will start by saying I am no expert and I will not be trying to come off as an expert. I am just a happy Droid user, and it is very much in part due to this forum. (THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES TO THIS FORUM!!!) I would like to think of this thread as sort of a wiki, and I will need a lot of user help to make this a useful thread. SOME OF MY INFO MAY BE WRONG OR MAY NEED SOME HELP SO PLEASE CHIME IN AND CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG! Pete gives us a lot of his time and he asks nothing in return so please please please contribute if you can, and credit will be given for your knowledge. Thanks up front, and with that said...

I see a lot of the same questions being asked in the GPA13 thread. The GPA13 thread is getting pretty long, plus there are threads out there for all GPA builds so I thought it would be good to get a problems and solutions thread going to span across the GPA builds so people can reference quickly rather than navigating all the GPA release threads.

Please, if you have a problem not listed, a solution to a problem, or want to submit something, post it, or PM me so I can update this first post to keep this a "quick reference."

Edit by Pete:
    If you experience any issues on the GPA builds, read the following recommendations.
    By following these recommendations you can eliminate a majority of the issues being reported.
    Wipe data and cache (more than once).
    Do not restore your data (e.g. Titanium backup, etc).
    Use the default kernel provided in the GPA build.
    Do not modify the GPA build in any way (e.g. removing apps, themeing, etc.)

Be sure to have the latest baseband (C_01.43.01P).
    If you continue to experience the same issue then take action by posting for support.

Common issues...

Loss of 3G after calls. (GPA12+ (I believe))
    Cause: This is one possible cause (thank you tjk629 for pointing this out in the GPA13 thread. Thank you RW-1 continuing the pursuit to the issue.) "The 3G stuff is from Gingerbread. From what I've been hearing it's because there is no CDMA gingerbread builds out yet. So the drivers that are used to switch from voice to data don't work right." (please let me know if anyone has any other possible causes.) This issue also occurs on stock Nexus S devices running Gingerbread, more info here.
    Solution: To my knowledge there is no permanent fix to this. Toggling airplane mode on and off seems to bring 3G back a little quicker for many.

No LED notifications. (All GPA builds)
    Cause: My understanding of this issue is that it goes back to froyo. (please give specifics if you know them).
    Solutions: Solution needed.

Phone goes into boot loop or freezes. (All GPA builds)
    Cause: It seems most often, this is related to either you need to do a full wipe, or it is the kernel you are using. (Remember, a kernel that works on one device, may not work the same on another.)
    Solution: Try doing a full wipe (including cache) and then reinstall. Try using a different kernel. (More solutions needed).

No sound during a call. Weird, loud noise during call (GPA13).
    Cause: Cause needed.
    Solutions: Reboot your device. Another possible fix (more testing and feedback needed) is to run Fix Permissions in Rom Manager. (Thank you SnoDrtRider for this tip.)

Not receiving texts. (GPA13)
    Cause: Cause needed:
    Solution: I do not know of a solution. It seems it may be related to using a third party messenger i.e. Handcent. (need more info please).

Getting double notifications. (All Builds)
    Cause: After installing a rom from a full wipe, your phone will default to factory settings. This issue will happen if you are using a third party app for messaging because the app will have a notification, as will the android system.
    Solution: Disable messaging notifications in adroid system: Open stock messaging app. Press Menu. Settings. Uncheck "Notifications."

Will not play WMA format music (All Builds)
    Cause: For whatever reason WMA support was pulled from Gingerbread.
    Solution: Convert music (I used iTunes), or use a different media player with WMA support.

Phone lags, Music skips, Device seems unresponsive, Device freezes. (All Builds)
    Cause: There are various reasons this can happen but most seem related to the fact that GB is very CPU intensive, or it is related to the Kernel you are using.
    Solution: Overclocking may be necessary for some. Pete's 600mhz kernel has been running very well (and lag free) on my device. This is not the same for all users, and you may need to run a higher kernel and clock your device to a speed that seems to work for you. (probably more solutions needed).

Haptic Feedback on camera launch goes crazy
    Cause: cause needed. This issue does not hinder any functionality.
    Solution: Solution needed.

Apps not Downloading from Market on 3G (GPA13)
    Cause: Cause needed.
    Solution: Temporary solution is to use WiFi. Permanent solution needed.

Launcher (home screen) Redraws often (all Builds)
    Cause: Android treats launcher like any other app. When you are using a lot of resources (for example playing a game) the system will kill apps that are running to free up resources (launcher included). Because GB is so CPU intensive, you may experience this problem.
    Solution: Download terminal emulator from market. Run TU and type SU then press enter. Approve superuser permissions. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and press enter. Then reboot. This should lock launcher into the phones memory and avoid redraws. (Thanks to juhde for posting and bringing the local.prop script to us. This has been a huge help to me. And thnk you Bobbar the testing you did on local.prop in GB).

So as of now, this is a wiki in need of much contribution. Please help out with any info related to any of the GPA builds.
    Last edited by peteralfonso; 03-14-2011 at 09:26 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    These are the problems I am having on occasion also...

Phone freezes.

No sound during a call and once I got a loud squealing feedback

Will not play WMA format music... I am using PowerAmp for the time being but would like to use the Honeycomb Music Player.

I am on GPA13 with the kernel supplied

I use LP+
    Moto Droid Maxx... Stock... for now!
    Moto Droid Razr... 4.1.2 JB OTA installed and rooted using Matt's Utility... Thanks Matt!

Moto Xoom WiFi ... 4.2.2 JB Ported by Dreamcwli

Moto Sliver Bluetooth

Moto S11-Flex HD Wireless Stereo Headphones... Thanks Droid Forums!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
    These are the problems I am having on occasion also...

Phone freezes.

Will not play WMA format music... I am using PowerAmp for the time being but would like to use the Honeycomb Music Player.

I am on GPA13 with the kernel supplied

I use LP+
    No sound issue referenced above. A few people had that problem. Reboot seemed to have fixed the issue. WMA issue referenced above. Phone freezing... you may just have too much going on at once. GPA uses a lot of CPU resources. I have had a couple freeze issues, usually when I am doing a lot at once.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This just happened to me today. But, I could hear the other person talk under the loud squealing.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiabob View Post
    This just happened to me today. But, I could hear the other person talk under the loud squealing.
    Do you have more details? Baseband version? Have you rebooted and if so did it fix the problem?
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Baseband C_01.43.01P
    I had to pull the battery to end the noise, but it came back up with no issues.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Baseband C_01.43.01P
    Awesome! Post if the issue persists.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Baseband C_01.43.01P
    That is what I had to do...

Also...

I ran Fix Permissions last night from ROM Manager and the phone was pretty much flawless today. More testing is needed but it seems to have helped.

It would be good if someone else could document a definite improvement by running Fix Permissions.

I'll check back in in a few days with an update.
    Moto Droid Maxx... Stock... for now!
    Moto Droid Razr... 4.1.2 JB OTA installed and rooted using Matt's Utility... Thanks Matt!

Moto Xoom WiFi ... 4.2.2 JB Ported by Dreamcwli

Moto Sliver Bluetooth

Moto S11-Flex HD Wireless Stereo Headphones... Thanks Droid Forums!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Fixed my Phone works the best it ever has , how you ask ?
    Flashed FRG83G DeOdexed Rooted ROM (I know Froyo) off PA's site and smooth as silk , fast as lighting using , P3Droid LV 250/900 kernel .
    When the 3G thing gets fixed in GB , I will try again but for now , this is the best it gets .
    Last edited by 1linuxfreak; 03-12-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    To Droid or not to Droid is no longer a question , DROID!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    jj87
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    GPA13 is now running great on my phone. Came from BB 06.2.1. Yes, I cleared data and cache 3x before flashing GPA13. Did NOT clear Dalvik cache (although I did just a few minutes ago, along with fixing permissions using ROM Manager).

Was using LV600, flashed LV1000 for a little boost.

The problems I experienced were actually a little different - market apps REFUSED to download over wifi right after I flashed the ROM, and 3G was the only way I could download anything from the Market. Wifi then wouldn't turn off via the power widget, so I attempted to turn it off in the settings menu. The phone froze and rebooted itself. I've not experienced anything like this since. I just attempted to download over wifi from the Market again (18 hours and several reboots later) and it worked flawlessly.

Oftentimes I get a "double boot" when I turn the phone on - Moto logo -> Droid Eye -> freezes -> Droid Eye -> Home screen. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't seem to affect performance.

I've been having mild issues with 3G returning after a call too - it takes a few seconds, and I did have to enter airplane mode once to get it to return. I just did a PRL update, we'll see if that has any effect.

The two biggest problems I'm facing are these: I cannot get a connection to Google's servers over wifi (the wifi and signal bar icons stay white, don't turn green). This isn't a huge deal, but it prevents me from signing into Talk, which I like to use. Market, Maps, Gmail, all work normally.

Second, none of my facebook contact pictures are syncing, which is annoying. I'm not sure why, as they'd all sync normally on BB 0.6.2.1. I could use SyncMyPix or a similar app, but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links