DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BB0.5, tips for reinvigorating your droid :)

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid, Droid X

BB0.5, tips for reinvigorating your droid :)

I've been using BB since I got my droid a couple months ago and I've also helped one of my buddies install and keep up with android on his HD2. I used BB because it's basically stock which I really like. I've learned a lot about android in general since then and BB so I wanted to make a small guide to hopefully help people get BB running silky smooth and learn from my mistakes. With these tips BB runs flawlessly for me and it's actually quite a bit faster than when I first installed Bugless completely stock.

1. Use LauncherPro+ (or ADW Ex) and the fix from here.
    For whatever reason LauncherPro became way smoother after I used that fix, even though technically it's supposed to fix homescreen redraws (more on that later). Personally I have 4 homescreens with around 20 items total and I get no hangups of any sort scrolling between them or returning to the homescreen. There's quite a few options in the LP preferences menu so test those out and see what layout you like best. As far as memory usage settings (I know alot of people are concerned about redraw) I haven't changed them and I have no redraw.

2. TEST DIFFERENT KERNELS.
    I can't stress this enough, it will probably make the biggest difference for most people for overall system speed and battery life. In order to test kernels just boot into clockworkmod if you have rom manager (by holding x when you boot) and install the zip from your sd card, its really easy and will make a huge difference in how your phone runs. To get a good baseline of whether the kernel will work well look at the temperature readings it gives in SetCPU right away. If they are high (35-40 degrees and above) don't use the kernel, most likely you'll see poor battery performance. What you want to find is a kernel that will run cool (usually lower voltage) but optimize performance/mhz and run stable (no strange closing of apps or rebooting of the phone) with good battery life. Initially I didn't think it could make a big difference so I installed slayhers 1.1ghz kernel which I ran at 900mhz (because it ran warm) and stuck with it for a month or two. I'm glad I finally started testing more kernels because with the slayher kernel my phone ran moderately hot even at the 900 mhz setting(35 degrees and up) especially with games and I could only get through a half day or so with moderate use and no charging. I finally tested quite a few kernels when I became adventurous enough and by far and away P3Droid's Low voltage 1.1ghz 125 kernel was best for me (Link here). Your experience will differ because each phone's processor is unique in what it can handle but for me the phone runs extremely cool (20 - 35C) and battery life is great (I can get through a full day of moderate use with 30-40% battery left) plus it has the interactive governor which I think is less laggy than ondemand. And it's doing all of this at a top clock that is 200mhz above what I was previously using, needless to say it's great.

3. Install autostarts, use it to permanently stop processes that don't need to be autolaunched.
    I stop most stuff that isn't a system process and isn't a widget I use, there are a lot of options here but just look at them logically, look at what you use or what's needed for the system, and stop the rest.

4. Remove stock apps you dont use, especially the stock launcher if you use a 3rd party launcher.
    I've removed the stock launcher, the stock keyboard and various other system apps I don't need using titanium backup (I wouldn't remove the stock messaging app because it's needed to send mms, I use handcent but it wouldn't send mms without the stock app being installed).

5. Only install applications you need.
    When I first ran bugless I installed a bunch of games and applications, most of which I didn't use much if at all I just liked having the programs there in case I needed them, I almost never did. I installed them to SD using titanium backup when possible but as my internal memory lessened (to around 25-30 mb free) my performance dropped rapidly and eventually I got homescreen redraws that took up to 30 seconds to finish even using the redraw fix. We don't have a lot of ram and the more programs you install the more programs there are interacting with the system, this eventually causes slowdown and the horrible redraw you see where you press the home button and all your widgets don't show up for 20 or 30 seconds. Autostarts can help with this by stopping processes you don't want started, but try to keep your system as light as you can. I generally have around 100mb's free in my system with about 65 apk's installed. Obviously you can use more than this but be mindful of what you install, and uninstall anything you do not need.

6. Install Cache Cleaner, or similar.
    I clear 3-5 megabytes of cache from my phones internal memory every day using this app. You can also use titanium backup or clockworkmod to clear the dalvik cache, I do this about once a week.

7. Install SwitchPro widget, or similar.
    I have this on my homescreen and I use it to switch gps and wi-fi on and off to conserve battery, although this hasn't been a problem since finding a better kernel.

8. Install LCD Density changer.
    This one is definitely personal preference but I really like having more screen real estate, I set density to 210 instead of the stock 240 and it looks great and homescreen widgets are spaced better I think.

9. Install setCPU and enable profiles.
    I have a couple profiles set up but the most important one is for when your device turns off, set the minimum to your kernels lowest value and the maximum to the next highest value. With my current set up I've had a day or two where I barely used my phone so it was sleeping most of the time. With this profile my battery was around 70-80% after 14 hours. By the way with the old slayher kernel my phone probably would have died by that point but it definitely would have been down to around 10-20%, this is with the same profiles.

10. Clear your battery stats
    Boot into clockworkmod (again by holding x when you boot the device), go to advanced, then clear battery stats. After you do this run your phone until it dies and then charge your phone to 100%. I did this and it increased my battery life quite a bit.

When my phone slowed down a lot I reinstalled BB and began researching this stuff and the phone has never run better. I use the blue smoked glass theme and I get no lag on the homescreens, it's way way smoother than my mom's stock rooted droid 2 global with LP. I've been running it this way for a month and haven't had any slow downs, and it's 100% smoother than my first run through with Bugless. Hopefully this helps out some of you, I know android can be a little overwhelming especially at first and it's always difficult to find the best set up, hopefully this guides some people in the right direction. Just to get a sense of what my build looks like I've included a couple pictures.

Last edited by gambit07; 01-15-2011 at 10:55 PM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Thanks for the writeup and the tips. How do I get rid of the stock launcher? Any other stock applications you recommend dumping? I hardly use the ones provided.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasko View Post
    Thanks for the writeup and the tips. How do I get rid of the stock launcher? Any other stock applications you recommend dumping? I hardly use the ones provided.
    No problem! Use Titanium Backup, it will uninstall any apk in your system. The stock launcher is called launcher.apk so it's pretty easy to get rid of. Theres a list someone compiled of the core .apk's necessary for android, if I find it again I'll post it here. You can definitely get rid of any google stock market apps you dont use though such as google voice, car home, gmail, maps, etc and they're easily re-installable through the market should you need them again. You can also get rid of Pete's included stuff if you dont use it, such as the voice recorder. bb tips, etc. I would keep his toolkit though its helped me out quite a few times.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Hey gambit07,
    Thanks for the info! Question, #9 referencing set cpu..by "sleep" setting do you mean the screen off setting. I don't see a sleep setting in set cpu and for the life of me cannot extend my batterys life more than 5 hours before charging. Also, i run set cpu and juice defender (with cpu control disabled in juice) are these helpful together or should I remove one?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by shaylinlea View Post
    Hey gambit07,
    Thanks for the info! Question, #9 referencing set cpu..by "sleep" setting do you mean the screen off setting. I don't see a sleep setting in set cpu and for the life of me cannot extend my batterys life more than 5 hours before charging. Also, i run set cpu and juice defender (with cpu control disabled in juice) are these helpful together or should I remove one?

Hi! Yes sorry I'll change that, I couldn't remember exactly what it was called and I guess I was too lazy to look it up setcpu I really like and I think its helped me a lot because of the screen off profile, to be honest I've never run without it and my battery life is pretty good now so I don't see a reason to get rid of it. I've never used juice defender but my motto has always been to run the least amount of processes affecting the system as possible, so I would get rid of it as I don't think it's necessary. Again though the BIGGEST thing you can do to get better battery life is try different kernels, each one will affect your specific phone differently and it only takes a half hour or so to run through 5 or 10 kernels just to get a baseline for which ones might work well, then you can do more intensive testing. I tested a lot of kernels from here, but mainly chevys, p3droids, jdflg, and slayhers kernels. Chevy ran okay for me but I didn't like the lack of an interactive governor and the phone ran a little hot. With p3 I couldnt run the low voltage 1200 kernel because it was unstable but the 1100 has just been awesome for me. The phone is ice cold sometimes, I have no stability problems and battery life is awesome, it almost always gets me through a full day with some to spare. Hope that helps!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Excellent, sounds good thanks!

8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    One follow up question..do you know of a weather app similar to beautiful widgets that works with the LCD density app? I'm running the two but they don't work well together. I also made sure the compatability box was un checked and checked neither way works.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by shaylinlea View Post
    One follow up question..do you know of a weather app similar to beautiful widgets that works with the LCD density app? I'm running the two but they don't work well together. I also made sure the compatability box was un checked and checked neither way works.

Actually I use beautiful widgets, I haven't had any problems with the density change except that when i press the weather animation the animation doesn't play.. I also have my homescreen resized to 5 columns by 4 rows
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    JuiceDefender definitely helps...I have mine set for 2 minutes of data on every 30 minutes (and on when the screen is on etc). And the kernel is a big difference, I was trying out a Slayher kernel for the compcache and the battery life was definitely less--I went back to a ChevyNo1 ULV kernel (his seem to play better with my specific phone than P3Droid's for some reason).
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    gambit07,

Yeah I just like the animations.. Hmmhmm..guess i'll have to pick my poison. As a side note, I have tried multiple kernels. Chevy's, ULV 1-1.2; p3s 1-1.2 LV, Slayhers 1-1.1 ....no matter what the kernel I can't seem to find one that has great battery life. Guess I will keep searching/trying different combination's.

psiuglen,
    Thanks for the info. I have tried it both ways..I can't decide which works best.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links