DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery discharging, while charging!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid

Battery discharging, while charging!

Here's the low down. I'm using UDv9.0 with adamz medium volt 1.0ghz kernel, OC'd at 1 ghz. I took a trip to St. Petersburg, FL from my home town, which is about 1 hour and 30 mins away. When I left the house, my phone was fully charged at 100% and I plugged my phone into the car charger while I was in my drive way. (*I also launched google maps navigation at the same time.*) So by the time I made it to my destination, my battery was down to 60%! How could that be, when my phone was charging the entire time? I thought that when the phone is charging and it's in use, that the battery wouldn't drain. The charger was from Verizon, with the Verizon logo on it, so I believe it's a pretty decent charger. I bought it for my Storm2 and once I switched to the Droid, I continued to use it since it was the same hook up. So my question is, what was the problem? The car charger, the rom, or the kernel? Or is the drainage something that is suppose to happen with navigation, regardless if it's connected to a charger? Are there certain car chargers that put out more power? If not, what's the fix for this if there is one? Thanks for your reply's in advance.
    Last edited by kxs783kms; 04-06-2010 at 10:37 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The only thing I can think of is that you used more battery with your Navigation than the car charger supplied power to your phone. Navigation does drain tons of battery and things, after all. I may be wrong.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    The droid has a specific voltage that it charges at. Your Storm2 charger may not have been able to deliver the amount of voltage it charges at with the stock wall charger.
  4. JT3
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Well, if anything it'd be the amperage, not the voltage, since all USB is 5V (Micro, Mini, Standard... doesn't matter in this case).

However, the amperage should be the same, because I don't think Verizon has more than one Micro USB charger.

Are you sure the Droid showed the "charging" symbol? It sounds like your recepticle may be out... blown fuse perhaps? Or, maybe it just wan't making a good connection.

UD Theme | Chevy's MV 7-slot 1.25GHz kernel |Baseband C_01.3E.03P
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Actually the wall charger is 5.1v. Not sure if that makes that big of a difference.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    To my knowledge it was JT3. To be honest, I just plugged it in and took off. I didn't notice the battery percentage until I got to my destination. I know the phone was pretty hot though. I did pay attention on the way home and it showed the lighting sign, but the battery never fully charged. It just kept showing the charging status going from medium to full.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Whenever you use navigation you should ALWAYS turn your OC back down to the stock speed range. Try turning your speed down to 550/600 and then putting the phone on the car charger and use navigation. See if you can reproduce the discharge.

I'm almost 100% that this will fix your issue because I use navigation alot and I've gone through this before.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Google Galaxy Nexus
    The problem was the storm 2 charger. If you charge with any other charger than the one the.Droid comes with it may read that its charged 100%, but in reality it is about 40-50% charged. Having it connected to the car charger actually did charge it a little.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GohanBurner View Post
    The problem was the storm 2 charger. If you charge with any other charger than the one the.Droid comes with it may read that its charged 100%, but in reality it is about 40-50% charged. Having it connected to the car charger actually did charge it a little.
    i use chargers other than the droid charger - it's still wrapped in the box - and have no problems.

the droid is picky about chargers though. two others i used with my touch pro make the droid go crazy and randomly start registering screen taps.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I had this problem before too. Had a stock Droid 2.0.1 plugged in my charger, took a 3 hour drive using navigation the whole way. When I got to my destination the phone was at 50%. Weird thing is, when I drove back home, used same charger, used navigation, and when I got home it was fully charged again.
    Odd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links