DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Navizon US for Android

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate

Navizon US for Android

Available now. Surprised it's not being discussed here yet. Anyone tried it?

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Information???
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Information???
    sorry bout that. I just figured everyone was on engadget already.
    edit 2: sorry bout that again, I see i've posted this in the wrong forum....

Navigon's MobileNavigator comes to US Android devices -- Engadget Mobile

NAVIGON Launches On-Board Navigation App for Android Smartphones

Provides Premium, All Inclusive Experience with On-Board Map Material, Industry First Reality Scanner and Traffic Live

Hamburg, Germany October 27, 2010-NAVIGON AG, a leading provider of mobile on-board navigation, today announced the release of the US version of its award winning MobileNavigator for the Android platform. The first on-board navigation app of a major navigation company to launch on the Android platform, MobileNavigator brings premium navigation to the growing Android user base. Among many signature functions, the app includes the industry-first feature Reality Scanner that identifies points of interest by showing them in a live camera view. MobileNavigator is available now from the Android Market and includes Traffic Live and without an additional cost.

MobileNavigator brings first-class developments in GPS navigation technology and real-time travel information to the Android platform. "For almost two decades NAVIGON brings preeminent navigation technology; this long standing experience enables us to deliver sophisticated navigation solutions that transform smartphones into navigation solutions comparable to standalone devices," said Gerhard Mayr, NAVIGON vice-president worldwide mobile phones and new markets. "Other than free navigation apps for the Android platform, NAVIGON's app provides on-board premium maps and driving related features that go beyond providing simple directions, helping to make driving a more relaxed experience."

Reality Scanner is an industry first feature for the Android platform. Utilizing the phone's build-in camera, positioning, and compass components together with NAVIGON'S extensive POI database to project POI (points of interest) icons directly on the camera's image. Users can point the device and instantly identify POIs in or around the location. Other premium features include, Reality View Pro, displaying photo-realistic 3D views of actual road, highway/interstate, signs and exits, and lane guide markers for easy driving decisions. Traffic Live uses real-time data from over a million drivers to route around traffic. NAVIGON MyRoutes analyzes driving habits, patterns, location, time/day and provides up to three routes clearly displayed in-map with ETA, distance and driving times for each (a comprehensive list of features is below). The NAVIGON Red Light Cameras feature provides drivers an advanced visual warning for most red light and speed cameras.

MobileNavigator relies on the devices' GPS receiver as well as the pre-loaded NAVTEQ® maps, providing full function navigation capabilities when a cell signal is not available. Off-board navigation, in comparison, is dependent on a cell phone connection to download map and routing data. Therefore, no cell signal renders navigation useless or interrupted until a connection is re-established. "MobileNavigator addresses the concerns of savvy consumers who are dissatisfied with the inconsistent performance of off-board turn-by-turn navigation solutions using lower quality data that has recently entered the market. NAVTEQ maps are a key differentiator and part of NAVIGON'S overall strategic vision for enabling a more sophisticated navigation experience for consumers," said Jeff Mize, executive vice president, Global Sales, NAVTEQ. "The superiority of NAVTEQ® maps is defined by its verified accuracy, richness of content and its breadth of coverage data. Equipped with proprietary data collection tools and state-of-the-art technologies, NAVTEQ'S Geographic Analysts continually drive the roads to collect, verify and update over 260 attributes, many of which can only be captured through direct field collection. This in-depth "human factor" delivers data consistent with real world conditions and is one of the most robust and accurate geographic databases in the world."

In addition to the benefits of an on-board solution, NAVIGON'S hallmark navigation capabilities and third party partnerships come together in MobileNavigator customized and developed for the Android platform.

The extensive set of features and capabilities include:
    · Reality View™ Pro clearly displays photo-realistic 3D views of actual road, highway/interstate, signs and exits, and lane guide markers for easy driving decisions.

· Traffic Live The most precise traffic information available today, using real-time speed data from over a million drivers including commercial fleets such as trucks and taxis and non-commercial drivers with GPS capabilities.

· Reality Scanner helps finding points of interest by showing them in a live camera view.

· Lane Assistant Pro prepares drivers to make an upcoming exit or turn with a lane map complete with arrows and actual road geometry.

· Speed Assistant Adjustable audio-visual warning alerts drivers of speed and can be turned on or off.

· Text-to-Speech Complementing turn-by-turn directions; informs the driver of both the street name and the direction to turn.

· NAVIGON MyRoutes analyzes driving habits, patterns, location, time/day and provides up to three routes clearly displayed in-map with ETA, distance and driving times for each.

· Day & Night Mode for map display.

· Direct Access to Contacts Allows navigation to contacts saved in the phone's address book.

· Route Planning

· Branded POIs and POIs along the route and in Reality Scanner.

· 2D and 3D map view

· Coordinate Input Employ longitude and latitude coordinates as a destination as an alternative to traditional input like an address or POI by name. Email geographical coordinates for precise location identification.

· Automatic Portrait or Landscape

· Intelligent address entry for quick text entry and lookup results.

· Real Street and Hwy sign display

· Directly call POIs

· Pedestrian Navigation

· Google Local Search Connected instant search of local points of interest.

· Red Light Cameras provides drivers an advanced visual warning for most red light and speed cameras.

Pricing and Availability
    MobileNavigator is available now in the Android Market and Google Checkout for *$39.99 for two-weeks. Post promotion the app retails for a one-time fee of *$59.99. The price includes the Traffic Live services. MobileNavigator is equipped with maps of the U.S.A. from NAVTEQ®.

*NOTE: Price subject to slight variations based on exchange rates between Euros and US Dollars.

Compatibility
    NAVIGON MobileNavigator is compatible with most Android phones and runs with Android 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2. The application requires a minimum of 30 MB of free RAM and about 1.5 GB storage space for maps, voices etc. Supported screen resolutions are 320x240, 480x320, 800x480, 850x480 and vice versa.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    Last edited by fluidj; 10-27-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wrong forum.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    I downloaded last night, and plan to review by this weekend, but here are some initial thoughts based on just playing with the UI. I have not had an opportunity to drive with it yet, so these opinions could change).

Pros:

Navteq Maps !!!!! (to see why I care so much, read my post about why anyone would pay for navigation when Google Navigation is free: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post928755 )

Does have google integrated search, although does not integrate to Google Voice Search (ie, "navigate to" and "directions to" still open Google nav or maps, but there is a google search button in the UI).

Extensive and up to date POI database.

Offline maps. Can work without a wireless signal, or while you are on the phone and your wireless signal is unavailable.

OK user interface. I have seen better, but I have seen much worse too.

Calculates multiple routes and shows an overview to let you choose between things such as highways and surface roads.

Real-time traffic information used when calculating routes.

Remembers your last several destinations, has a "favorites" and a "Home" button, and integrates with your contact list.

So important I'll say it again... Navteq Maps!!!!

Cons:

Voice volume is too low. It uses it's own voice engine rather than the Google one, and the volume, even at max, is way way too low.

Entering an address that is not already in your contacts is cumbersome. The google search only works for POI's (businesses and such) not for addresses.

Only shows and speaks the next turn. no way (at least that I have yet found) to get the "next next turn" or a list of all of the directions.

The press release shows some kind of "reality" view that overlays directions on what the camera sees. I have not been able to figure out how to get into this view, but as I said, I have not actually gone navigating, so it may only appear when you are moving or something.

Although the 1.5 Gig of maps load to the SD card, the application itself takes up 26 meg in memory, and can not be moved to the SD card at this time. For phones with limited onboard storage or program memory (Droid 1 I am looking at you.....) this could be an issue.

Is it worth $40 (or in two weeks $60)? Well, that depends. If most of your travel is in urban areas with good Verizon coverage, Google maps is pretty good, and getting better virtually every day (although it does sometimes make some pretty strange route suggestions, it will rarely take make you take an impossible route). If you expect to travel to more rural areas where Google Maps is likely to be less accurate or your might not have a cell signal, Or you regularly talk on your phone while driving where an online solution like Google Maps or VZNav are useless, then it is certainly worth looking at one of the solutions with off-line maps.

It is hard to argue for $60 when you can get Co-Pilot USA for $4.99 or all of North America for $19.99, but Co-Pilot uses TeleAtlas maps, not Navteq which suffer many of the same problems in rural areas as Google Navigation (although they are excellent in urban areas), and I have seen complaints that they are not using the most recent that TeleAtlas has, although i have not confirmed this myself.

For me, the $39 was worth it. Had they come out at $59, I probably would have held off to see if Garmin or TomTom are going to release something to the market instead of only embedding in specific phones just because I like their user interfaces more.

Alan
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    I put it on the phone last night and played with it for a few minutes. I'm impressed so far. Going out to run some errands in a few and will run it to see how it does. I'll report back later today/tonight.

Thanks for the heads up on this app.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Is it true that street names do not display on the overview maps? It seems odd. Is it just a setting that people haven't discovered yet?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fluidj View Post
    Is it true that street names do not display on the overview maps? It seems odd. Is it just a setting that people haven't discovered yet?
    No, that is not true. It does depend on your zoom level. Major roads always show. Minor ones only when zoomed in enough to display without cluttering the display.

Alan
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fluidj View Post
    No, that is not true. It does depend on your zoom level. Major roads always show. Minor ones only when zoomed in enough to display without cluttering the display.

Alan
    I see what they are talking about now. In the 3D navigation mode, you don't get street names, but in the 2D overview (or if you switch to 2D navigation) you do.

Alan
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Good info.

FYI, Techguru we had this discussion on the other thread. I did notice a small error the other day. Driving and Google Nav told me exit 5C when it was really 5A. LOL, I've made this mistake twice now (oddly, not the first time I drove it). Minor nuisance, but could have been a much bigger problem. Last time rather than pull the u-turn I took a more scenic route and it got me there fine.

If and when they get the voice "navigate to..." working to override Google nav I might look at this.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Good info.

FYI, Techguru we had this discussion on the other thread. I did notice a small error the other day. Driving and Google Nav told me exit 5C when it was really 5A. LOL, I've made this mistake twice now (oddly, not the first time I drove it). Minor nuisance, but could have been a much bigger problem. Last time rather than pull the u-turn I took a more scenic route and it got me there fine.

If and when they get the voice "navigate to..." working to override Google nav I might look at this.
    If you report that issue to google (there is a link on maps.google.com on your desktop) it takes them about 4-6 weeks to fix it. That is the huge advantage to online maps and why I think eventually Google will have the best navigation.

Alan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links