DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: New PhoneMyPC release -- needs help!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

New PhoneMyPC release -- needs help!

I hope it's not inappropriate to post this here; we have bunches of customers on this forum, so here goes (Mod's, feel free to interject if I violate some ethic).

We just released a new build of PhoneMyPC. The major changes in this build are:
    1) Support for using the Mouse Wheel (users--on this forum even--asked about wanting to scroll their PC browser and other windows easily)
    2) Additional configurations: now you can map any hardware button (volume up/down, camera, search, d-pad) to things like: mouse-wheel (left, right, up, down), zoom, and Full Cursor Mode toggle.
    3) Added a 'stealth' mode for the PC app; essentially it just hides the system-tray icon
    4) Added connection-status to the title bar of the settings window (on the PC). This is mostly to help us troubleshoot customer issues
    5) Added a menu in Interact Live with which most special keys can be sent (Function keys, Escape, Home, Delete, etc.)

Here's where we need help...the menu for special keys works just fine if you need to hit [Esc] once in a while, or want to send an [F1] for help. But, what if you want to use the arrow keys, all the time? They should be on the screen.

We conceived (laid out, coded) a virtual keyboard for special keys, but it's just not practical. It's just fine when you have that "once in a while" need, but not otherwise.

Consider these two use cases:

1) You need to hit F5 for some reason
    2) You've configured your Camera button to show a special-keys pallette
    3) Hit the Camera button
    4) Hit F5
    5) Key is sent, pallette goes away

So far, so good.

Next, consider this:

1) You're playing a game using the arrow keys
    2) You do NOT want to hit your Camera button every time you need to hit an arrow key
    3) You do NOT want to have the gigantic special-key pallette taking up 1/2 your screen all the time

So now what?

We thought about letting users drag special keys around the screen and just "drop" them wherever they seemed useful. You might have arrow keys in the lower right, mouse-wheel keys in the lower left, Page Up and Page Down in the top corners. It's up to you.

But somehow we couldn't put together the ideal use scenario.

We've had the most amazing input from our customers, so we figured, since you will use this, maybe you'd like to give us some input before we roll out the final special-key features.

Thoughts?

SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of PhoneMyPC

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Just wanted to give your application a bump and note that I am going to purchase this tonight. After reading all the reviews for it on the market place it seems like this application is a steal at its current price and I have been looking for something like this anyways. Thank you for all your hard work.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    i love this app. A+++ for me
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    What about being able to assign the Letter keys i.e. qwerty, and just having a toggle key like the camera to turn it on and off. Also being able to string commands such as ALT+F4.

Another issue I have noticed is that sometimes when connecting to my PC off the 3g network, the internet at home will go down and requires a power cycle of the modem and router. Could be a coincidence, but my internet has never gone down other than two times I have use the cursor mode.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Hi hatephil,

We've been working on a visual keyboard that you can toggle on and off. This will have support for those alternate keys. We never thought about an alternate keymap for the physical/soft keyboards though; that's actually a brilliant idea. Where were you a few weeks ago??? LOL

About the network, I'm going to call this "highly unlikely," unless the phone trying to connect through the router on port 49300 is exposing some strange bug in the router. Would you care to email us model info for your router? We'll look into it. Support@SoftwareForMe.com

SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of PhoneMyPC
    & Imagine Multi-touch
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Shot you an email.

An alternate key map for the physical keyboard that the users could assign themselves (or change from default) would be awesome. Hope you can use the idea, but I will definitely let you know if I think of anything else. I just joined the forums today, lol.

Links