DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Night Clock -- Multimedia dock alternative

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Night Clock -- Multimedia dock alternative

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to announce a really simple application (my first) that I made. I was having trouble falling asleep with the standard Multimedia Dock application, even in "dim" mode it was really bright (who decided to have a blue background?) so I made one that is just red text on a black background.

It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles the standard app has, such as music, a link to the alarm (although the alarm will work when the app is up), etc, but it gets the job done.

I have also made my source code available (though I haven't updated it yet for my version 1.1 which fixes some problems and reorganizes it somewhat) on my website, Android: Night Clock (Ned Fox) so you can check that out if you want.

Thanks, hope it's helpful. Feel free to give any suggestions, I am looking for them.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Suggestions

Love Night Clock, but there are two suggestions.
    1. Enable the system default for 12/24-hour mode. You may have it already, but I can't find it because of #2 below.
    2. I set Night Clock to be the default app when in the multimedia dock. The softbuttons were still on, so I tried a number of things to make them go off, and of course they won't, so I tried setting the Droid night dock settings to be the default again. Now I cannot get Night Clock to take over, even after uninstalling and reinstalling. I think that if you allow it to run as an app instead of just based on state (docked), that might be fixed. Might also help to include an icon in the drawer to launch it.
    Great app while I had it; thanks!
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks for the feedback, miwaku. I've updated it, and based on your feedback added support for 12/24 hour mode, as well as the ability to launch it directly. I also made it so the menu button launches the alarm clock setting page, so you can set alarms more easily while having the clock open.

Unfortunately, the soft button lights can't turn off -- they're locked in the root section of the phone (there has been much discussion of this on various forums...), and I'm not really sure what to do about your default app problem. Mine seems to do what it is supposed to if you disassociate the defaults.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Thumbs up Excellent!

Thanks; I saw the update last night and it's great! Seems to have fixed the launch problem, too, somehow resetting the default. Everything works perfectly.

Yeah, I've seen the softbutton issue a lot. Someone will crack it other than the root solutions I've seen.

In the meantime, great product! I gave you four stars in the Market, but I'm going to raise that to 5.

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Droid 2.1 update

So since the Droid has the 2.1 update, Night Clock still works, but the clock is MUCH smaller now, like one inch wide. Can you get it back to full screen?

Great app; thanks!

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nfox513 View Post
    Hey Everyone, I just wanted to announce a really simple application (my first) that I made. I was having trouble falling asleep with the standard Multimedia Dock application, even in "dim" mode it was really bright (who decided to have a blue background?) so I made one that is just red text on a black background.

It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles the standard app has, such as music, a link to the alarm (although the alarm will work when the app is up), etc, but it gets the job done.

I have also made my source code available (though I haven't updated it yet for my version 1.1 which fixes some problems and reorganizes it somewhat) on my website, Android: Night Clock (Ned Fox) so you can check that out if you want.

Thanks, hope it's helpful. Feel free to give any suggestions, I am looking for them.
    Very cool app!!!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 (GPA 17)
    Thank you for this. I complained to Motorola about this, but apparently they really don't have a clue how annoying the brightness of the night mode is.

Links