DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: AppBrain launches automatic filtering of "spam" apps

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    milestone, nexus one, G1

Exclamation AppBrain launches automatic filtering of "spam" apps

Hi,

we just released an update to the Android app site AppBrain

From now on it filters out "spam" apps to make it easier to find the good apps.

More about this here: AppBrain blog: AppBrain launches automatic filtering of "spam" apps

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Moved to correct sub-forum.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I like the product, but just curious why you wouldn't include additional filtering as most posts on how to improve the Market lead with that.

The classification of spam is good, but user preferences to block from X developer or more filtering at all would make it much more convenient.

Also, any app that is one app with multiple skins should be collapsed. I'm sure you know the ones, like Cleveland Browns Stopwatch and Denver Broncos Stopwatch. No idea why developers don't just release one app and let you use settings to pick your team, but it does flood the market.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have to say I love Appbrain. Having a save list and the sync feature is awesome.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Greetings. I should be receiving my Incredible tomorrow and it will be my first smartphone so I'm just looking into apps and such.

Appbrain looks really cool and useful, but it wants my gmail account information to use it. Is this considered OK? Giving your email account password to a third party is like #2 stupid thing you should never do after your bank account information. Are there lots of Android products that want access to your accounts like that?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jfunk View Post
    Greetings. I should be receiving my Incredible tomorrow and it will be my first smartphone so I'm just looking into apps and such.

Appbrain looks really cool and useful, but it wants my gmail account information to use it. Is this considered OK? Giving your email account password to a third party is like #2 stupid thing you should never do after your bank account information. Are there lots of Android products that want access to your accounts like that?
    I seem to recall that the folks at AppBrain have responded to that concern, either on a thread or on their website. If it makes you feel any better, though, the credit card information stored on your google account (for purchasing apps) is protected in such a way that a third party cannot access it. A third party could add another credit card, but they cannot access the credit card that exists on your account.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jfunk View Post

I seem to recall that the folks at AppBrain have responded to that concern, either on a thread or on their website. If it makes you feel any better, though, the credit card information stored on your google account (for purchasing apps) is protected in such a way that a third party cannot access it. A third party could add another credit card, but they cannot access the credit card that exists on your account.

It's not just that, I don't want them even accessing my contacts for example (let alone email). Really, nobody should have my password to my google account for anything, ever. This seems like a really strange thing for them to need. Any user should be conditioned to never give this information out. Social networking sites use these techniques to get your account info for sending spam from your accounts all the time.

Even if the Appbrain people have no intention of ever misusing this information, it just seems insane to me that they would even be asking for my account password. Why would I want to give anyone permission to log into my gmail account?

I couldn't find any mention of this on their website at all. I've been looking through forums, but searching for Appbrain just produces a ton of hits as everybody that posts an app list will show up.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I do understand the google login page is not in fact the Appbrain site and I'm not directly entering my password into Appbrain. The problem I have is with this procedure in general. How can an average user trust that the URL they link me to isn't a fake site? I mean, phishing sites use these exact style of forms every day to get people's information, there must be a better way for this to be done rather than having to follow a link from their site with all sorts of arguments parsed into it and enter my account information into it.
    Last edited by jfunk; 04-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    As I recall, it sends you to an https site for the login. You could always check the certificate (although I'm not sure how to do this on the phone).
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnutt View Post
    As I recall, it sends you to an https site for the login. You could always check the certificate (although I'm not sure how to do this on the phone).

Yeah, it's all good. I know they aren't stealing any info, I signed up to use it and everything.

It just seems like a bad process. It basically looks EXACTLY like a phishing scam. It seems to me that having your account sign up procedure look exactly like something that every noob web surfer is told to NEVER do is bad idea.

Links