DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: i'm new to all this

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razr

i'm new to all this

What does rooting your phone mean and do? Why do this? Also been looking for an app that is talk to text. Can't find it, can ya'll point me in the right direction... thanks so much. I have learned so much on the forum.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    ?Question?

How are you asking what root is, when underneath your avatar it says you are running "Droid 2.1"???

If that was a mistake or typo, and you really don't know what root is (which is okay), go look in the hacking section of the forum

4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    As for the other question, the phone comes with talk-to-text. Press the speaker button on the virtual keypad.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    To root your phone is the equivalent of "jailbreaking" an iPhone: using a hack to gain complete administrator access to the device, so that you can make changes which the default software does not allow. This has risks in that it may void your warranty and if you're not careful can render your phone unstable or even useless, but it also has advantages in that you can do things with a rooted phone which are not possible otherwise.

Talk to text is enabled for voice search in the stock 2.0.1 software, and for all text boxes in 2.1 software and in most or all of the customized software loads for rooted phones. To see an example, just do a long-press on your search button (the one at the bottom right of your screen); it'll come up with a voice search window.

Your profile says you are running 2.1; this is not possible unless you have already rooted your phone. If you're running the stock software from Verizon, your current version is 2.0.1.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razr
    Oops I have the 2.01. LOL. Oh I don't wanna root my phone hee hee. Just wondering. Ya'll are so great. thanks..
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razr

talk to text for messages

Is there an app for talking for text messages?
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by beckeann View Post
    You have to root and use the 2.1 keyboard to do this. Or wait until 2.1 releases.
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beckeann View Post
    Text messages that talk? Or speech that turns into text messages? You don't have to root for the later. In Handcent, a free market app for texting, when you get the text file go to the menukey and choose Speak.

someone else posted it before me, but if you say "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood" it will pop it into the text box, words spelled correctly.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad

Links