DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SystemPanel: a task killer for people who hate task killers.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X, 2, 1,Inc., N1, G1. :)

SystemPanel: a task killer for people who hate task killers.

(scroll down for screenshots)

Hello all,

I've written a new task manager / system information app called "SystemPanel". It displays a list of running applications, and allows you to view information about them, e.g., memory consumption, when they were started, how much CPU time they've used since start, and so on. It of course provides "task killing" capabilities; it can end individual apps, all apps, or groups of apps such as "inactive" or "background" apps.

It also provides meters to show you current CPU consumption, network use, memory use, and SD card use. A "system info" function is available from the menu that provides all the gory details about your phone, everything from your Wi-Fi router's mac address to your Android build number.

A word of warning....SystemPanel does NOT offer a capability to automatically kill tasks in order to "save battery life". I disagree with the idea that such a thing would offer an improvement. The Android OS does a fine job of this all by itself, and such a capability would only be helpful if an app were suffering from a bug (or poorly written), such that is consumed battery unnecssarily in a semi-dormant state. And in that case, killing it every few minutes isn't going to solve the problem...one needs to uninstall it or contact the developer. If you happen to know a technically sound reason why such a task killing strategy is beneficial with well written apps, please let me know, and I'll be happy to rethink this. If you do want such functionality, there are tons of other task killers that supposedly have this feature.

Please feel free to post bugs / suggest features. At the time of this writing, 1.0b1 has just hit the market. It's been tested on Droid, Nexus One, G1, and a few emulators. It supports 1.5-2.1+, QVGA, HVGA, and WVGA.

Search for either "SystemPanel" or "NextApp" on the market.

Best
    --Tod

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Main screen:

Viewing details about a process:

"System Info" screen, available from menu:

"Monitor" screen, available from menu, or by tapping on graphs at top of main screen:

"Installer Package Details" screen, showing an installed package that has been archived to the SD card.
    Last edited by tliebeck; 03-18-2010 at 07:34 AM.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    looks interesting...
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    hey guys,

i just got this app and thought id put a little of my opinion on it.

first the UI is awesome. Very clean, very nice looking

second it does exactly what the Dev said, it doesn't end all your tasks just one at a time, manually

third is tells you the usage of each of your apps(my favorite part of this app). This is good because is shows you why you truly don't need a task killer for 90% of your apps

I need to use it more but i think it will help, not as an alternative for a task killer but a good way to understand the usage of apps
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID
    It would be nice if you could change the sort order of how the list of apps are displayed. Right now, it appears that they are only displayed in Alpha order. It would be useful to also be able to sort by Memory usage and CPU.

Also as I was just watching the display, every couple of minutes I could see my CPU go from 10% up to 95% for several seconds then swing back down, but I was unable to tell which app was causing this. My phone gets very laggy from time to time, and I would love to be able to track down what app may be causing that (and I suspect that having the OS at > 90% utilization may be one of the contributing factors for the occasional lag)
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    @kiwiguy, yes this most definitely needs to go into the app. I'm currently working on the package management feature for the next release, but will be expanding the process viewer soon to provide these capabilities.

There's an application called "TOP" on the android market which will show you the list of Linux processes. It's an old app that doesn't appear to be maintained, and it's pretty ugly...but it may help...fire it up when you see the CPU usage spike, and see if you can tell which process name is consuming a high CPU percentage.

You may want to kill this app when you're done using it as well, looks like it might be hanging around as a background process longer than one might want.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Just downloaded - first impression: awesome! Extremely visually pleasing while providing important useful information. Also, I liked the intuitive UI - I touched the parts I thought would drill down - and they did.

Apparently this is a beta version that promises continued development so I assume it will get even more useful. I recommend this app to anyone who wants to know what's happening with the operating system.
    Gerry

Moto
    rolaDroidStockBld:44/09

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Great App. Nice and clean
    +1
    Monty
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Actually a very nice app. Great information and interface, but definitely needs the option to sort by memory and CPU utilization. Good job and keep up the good work.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    As I just posted in the market comments for this app: this is exactly what I've been looking for.

Awesome app!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links