DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School's Out!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

School's Out!

Hey, it's just a quick pitch for my app.

It's a simple countdown app, mainly for high school kids but can be used for college or any daily schedule. It has a completely customizable schedule (up to 8 periods) and a custom lunch time. As far as lunch goes, it can give you a audible reminder to get back from lunch and supports lunch specific notifications.

It has notifications for any of the timers on the home page.

The app has customizable text size, will add colors soon, and it has 3 custom events that you can put in.

There is a free version:

And a paid version (exact same, really just a donate app) for $.99 USD.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Hi I'm a teacher! I installed this app. Looks good so far BUT I'm getting a FC when I attempt to put the 4th block time in. That is problematic as we only have 4 blocks. For custom events you might think of radio buttons for known events. I haven't looked yet but is there a vibe effect? since I will take a phone up if it goes off in class this might be a good feature. Lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I think this is a great idea, but at the same time I think sometimes apps make the simple things more complicated. Let's face it if you're going to be late for class the chances are you know that already.

We kind of kept track of the 7 minutes between classes by the clock on the buildings and in the rooms.

We also walked to school uphill in the snow barefoot for 10 miles in both directions.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
    Hi I'm a teacher! I installed this app. Looks good so far BUT I'm getting a FC when I attempt to put the 4th block time in. That is problematic as we only have 4 blocks. For custom events you might think of radio buttons for known events. I haven't looked yet but is there a vibe effect? since I will take a phone up if it goes off in class this might be a good feature. Lol

Thanks for the feedback! I fixed the 4th block error in 2.5.3, it was one of those look at the code and *facepalm* moments. Thanks for submitting the crash report though, helps a lot

I'll add the pre-defined custom events in tonight when I get back from school, as well as a vibe warning as opposed to audible only!

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I think this is a great idea, but at the same time I think sometimes apps make the simple things more complicated. Let's face it if you're going to be late for class the chances are you know that already.

We kind of kept track of the 7 minutes between classes by the clock on the buildings and in the rooms.

We also walked to school uphill in the snow barefoot for 10 miles in both directions.
    Haha, well yes I agree, though for me and the friends I have who use it at my school, we more just stair at it in class, watching it count down until the period is over.

Wasn't there usually some broken glass scattered on the ground also?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Yeah hook, and let's not forget we had to walk BACKWARDS uphill in both directions. And it was ALWAYS at LEAST 3 feet of snow that we had to walk in.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Ok, I can't figure how to get the end of school thing "schools out", I set the end of 4th block which is when we are out, but I the "schools out" part is not leaping out. I figured the app would deduce that from the number of periods. Next I want the end of the period notification in my status bar. I can't get that to come up.

D1 rooted with CM.

ETA: My students were asking about this for the iphone.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Ok, I can't figure how to get the end of school thing "schools out", I set the end of 4th block which is when we are out, but I the "schools out" part is not leaping out. I figured the app would deduce that from the number of periods. Next I want the end of the period notification in my status bar. I can't get that to come up.

D1 rooted with CM.

ETA: My students were asking about this for the iphone.
    So you set 4 to "number of periods" in settings - schedule? and you set the times for 1st through 4th blocks? When you say leaping out, do you mean being removed from the main screen? I intentionally leave it there, but i guess i very well could add an option to remove it from the main UI when school is over. as far as "end of period" notification goes, the only reason i can think that it wouldn't display is if you had "no notif if school's out" checked, and school was out. then it removes the notification. or simply the "status bar notification" wasn't checked.

hopefully it's one of those things above. if not i'll look into it more though.

either way i'm going to start adding pre-defined custom events and vibration options now.

as for iPhones/iPods, the $99 dev fee and lack of any iOS hardware prevents me from doing that.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Ok, I'm an ID10T, I'm used to the 24hr clock, and I neglected the PM and the app thought we were at 03:28AM. Doh!

Mo' better now. Regarding the notifications, it would be cool if instead of the bell there was a count down in mins for each period. Makes for a quick reference to the next class.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Ok, I'm an ID10T, I'm used to the 24hr clock, and I neglected the PM and the app thought we were at 03:28AM. Doh!

Mo' better now. Regarding the notifications, it would be cool if instead of the bell there was a count down in mins for each period. Makes for a quick reference to the next class.
    Haha, I also have everything I own set to 24hr time, but I figured for the regular end user I should use AM/PM instead.

The different icons was a great idea, android has a built in function for that actually so it was very easily to implement!

Custom vibration patterns oddly enough was more difficult than expected, but that'll be in soon enough.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Checked the battery usage on way home. Minimal battery draw. Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links