DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: School's Out!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Just pushed V2.6 out into the wild.
    Comes with the notification badges (great idea again btw tnronin).
    Vibration reminders for notifications with custom vibrate option.
    Completely reorganized menu.
    Few other things.

I'm glad it didn't drain too much battery, I had to work really hard to optimize it, running that many calculations every second isn't easy, the app started off using like 10% of the CPU at all times, got it down to average between .5-1.5%.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Ran into a FC issue on your latest iteration. I noticed that the schedule was screwy this morning. When I tried setting the correct time for our fourth period I crashed the app. I have uninstalled it and I'm going to reinstall later.

No Joy on the settings. I paid for your donate version and uninstalled the free one. Is there a connection between them I'm not aware of? I get FC when I attempt to set times. Thanks.
    Last edited by tnronin; 03-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    In a true moment of idiocy, there was a link between the too. I was calling the "set time" class from the free app into the pay app, so when the free app was uninstalled bad stuff. I fixed it now, and uploaded 2.6.1.1

thanks for the donate by the way. that was very nice
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    No worries. Honestly I see some other uses you can adapt this to. You could probably do an event count down app with this.

What I hate is when we change schedules for homeroom or pep rally I will need to change the schedule times.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
    No worries. Honestly I see some other uses you can adapt this to. You could probably do an event count down app with this.

What I hate is when we change schedules for homeroom or pep rally I will need to change the schedule times.

Funny thing is, (well not funny really) I hate those days too, so I implemented a work around. Did you notice in Daily Schedule the "I go to LSE" option? If you select it, on the main screen there will be a download schedule button. An example custom day would be formatted as such

60 420:465:511:551:640:680:750:790:830
    or
    61 420:471:518:604:652:699:786:843:900

these being march 1st and 2nd. (60 = march 1 in days of year, 61 = march 2).

then it starts with time in minutes of school starting, then time first period ends, then 2nd, 3rd, etc, all in hour * 60 + minutes format.

if you can maintain your own server, and dedicate a specific page (mine is schedules.php) to hosting these schedules, I can make the "i attend *" a list preference, add your school, and have it download from a custom URL you provide to me. you will then of course be responsible for maintaining custom days for your school.

PM me if you want more info on this.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Wow I actually understand what you are talking about. Problem is is that our principal is pretty arbitrary on the activity days. I would essentially like to have an alternative activity day. And we actually have a morning and afternoon schedule. I would think you could just have alternate copies of the existing profiles with a selection button. Regardless I'm pretty impressed with what you have done. Realizing you aren't getting much for doing this the exercise is good for your skill set.

Thanks!

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    2.7 is out, adds support for 3 alternative profiles in addition to the standard profile. Naming isn't an option as I don't know how to incorporate dynamic preference titles, maybe I'll figure that out later.

for now each profile can edit lunch and all 8 periods. every other setting (lunch reminders, total periods etc) stay the same.

once again, thanks for the good idea!

This is essentially my first android app, so this one is all about learning. With each feature I add I usually have to learn about a new API or something new, so the knowledge I gain is what's paying me really. My next app, which idk what it'll be, will hopefully raise a little more money. Either way, this experience will help me a lot next year (college starts, and i'm going into computer engineering with computer science minor).
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Not to look a gift horse in the mouth. You might want to explore why in the notifications the last "end of period" is 60 mins earlier than the "end of day". For example, end of last period "9" mins, end of day "69" mins (aren't they the same). Just a small glitch, of course multilplied by 4 with all profiles in place.

You could add the times for each setting in the secondary text on the setting page. I found myself going back and forth because I lost track as to whether or not I had entered it while checking my work. Especially when I discovered the last end of period/end of day bug.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Pushed v2.7.1
    Address both the issues you talked about it. Sorry for the slightly longer than average response time, I took me a while to figure out a logical, efficient way to keep the preference summaries updated. But I think I figured it out, and it should keep all your previously stored data (which was another issue I ran into, which was dumb. lol).

And hey, it's not a gift horse, you bought the donate version so it's more of a very cheaply purchased horse. But it still deserves some upkeep for the price
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links