All credit goes to newone757 on xda-forums for creating the idea.
I recreated the templates to better fit the Droid and to make adding them easier. I included the templates in the .zip so feel free to make your own, but please post them here as others may find them useful.
1. Install LauncherPro (and activate Plus features to be able to resize large square widgets properly, if you dont want to use the square widgets, dont buy plus)
2. Install Desktop Visualizer from market
3. In LauncherPro settings, under Advanced set homescreen rows to 5 (i also recommend that you go into settings>display and uncheck auto rotate screen, but its not vital. Just looks lbad rotated)
4. Create a Desktop Visualizer widget (3x1 for long, 1x2 for tall, 4x4 for a square then resize it) with chosen image and action
5. Align them
6. In LauncherPro set the notification bar to hide, you can assign the home key to hide/show it.
7. In LauncherPro set the dock background to custom>dock.png
8. Push and hold each dock slot and set to blank, set the center to app drawer and its icon to custom>transparent.png
9. The clock on mine is Beautiful Home Smaller, Digital clock widget from Maize in the market works well too.
I am willing to take requests for icons that are not included in the .zip, just reply here with app and size and i will do my best to whip them up.
EDIT: This isnt an update.zip. Extract the files to your sdcard and continue with the instructions.