DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Easy way to change the color of text

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Easy way to change the color of text

I'm running bbv0.5 with smoked glass w/blue. It's almost impossible to see text when searching something on google/google widget. How do I change the text from black to white?

3. n00b.
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    decompile the apk with apktool and crack open the res/layout/*.xmls until you find the correct edittext section and change from black to white. recompile.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
    decompile the apk with apktool and crack open the res/layout/*.xmls until you find the correct edittext section and change from black to white. recompile.
    thx for the info! i'll give it a try later when i get home. however, i dont know jack about coding or anything like that so, i was wondering what the correct edittext section would look like and how to change it from black to white
  5. n00b.
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDroid23 View Post
    thx for the info! i'll give it a try later when i get home. however, i dont know jack about coding or anything like that so, i was wondering what the correct edittext section would look like and how to change it from black to white
    apktool: Downloads - android-apktool - Project Hosting on Google Code
    adb pull /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk .
    apktool d GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk GoogleQuickSearchBox_decompiled

where I would look first:
    res/layout/search_activity.xml:
    Code:
    <EditText android:textSize="18.0sp" android:textStyle="normal" android:textColor="@android:color/primary_text_light" android:textColorHint="@color/search_hint" android:ellipsize="end" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/search_src_text" android:background="@drawable/textfield_search_empty_google" android:paddingLeft="10.0dip" android:paddingTop="5.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:paddingBottom="5.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_weight="1.0" android:inputType="textAutoComplete" android:imeOptions="actionGo" />
    change to
    Code:
    <EditText android:textSize="18.0sp" android:textStyle="normal" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:textColorHint="@color/search_hint" android:ellipsize="end" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/search_src_text" android:background="@drawable/textfield_search_empty_google" android:paddingLeft="10.0dip" android:paddingTop="5.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:paddingBottom="5.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_weight="1.0" android:inputType="textAutoComplete" android:imeOptions="actionGo" />
    entire file:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SearchActivityView android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
      xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
        <view android:id="@id/suggestions" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_above="@id/footer" android:layout_below="@id/search_edit_frame" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true" android:layout_alignWithParentIfMissing="true" class="com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SuggestionsView" />
        <LinearLayout android:id="@id/footer" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true" />
        <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/search_edit_frame" android:background="@drawable/search_plate_global" android:paddingRight="4.0dip" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="-10.0dip" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentTop="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true">
            <include layout="@layout/corpus_indicator" />
            <EditText android:textSize="18.0sp" android:textStyle="normal" android:textColor="@android:color/primary_text_light" android:textColorHint="@color/search_hint" android:ellipsize="end" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/search_src_text" android:background="@drawable/textfield_search_empty_google" android:paddingLeft="10.0dip" android:paddingTop="5.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:paddingBottom="5.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_weight="1.0" android:inputType="textAutoComplete" android:imeOptions="actionGo" />
            <ImageButton android:id="@id/search_go_btn" android:background="@drawable/btn_search_dialog" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:src="@drawable/ic_btn_search" />
            <ImageButton android:id="@id/search_voice_btn" android:background="@drawable/btn_search_dialog_voice" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginRight="-4.0dip" android:src="@drawable/ic_btn_speak_now" />
        </LinearLayout>
    </com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SearchActivityView>

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Code:
    change to
    Code:
    <EditText android:textSize="18.0sp" android:textStyle="normal" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:textColorHint="@color/search_hint" android:ellipsize="end" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/search_src_text" android:background="@drawable/textfield_search_empty_google" android:paddingLeft="10.0dip" android:paddingTop="5.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:paddingBottom="5.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_weight="1.0" android:inputType="textAutoComplete" android:imeOptions="actionGo" />
    entire file:
    Code:
    <com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SearchActivityView android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        <view android:id="@id/suggestions" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_above="@id/footer" android:layout_below="@id/search_edit_frame" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true" android:layout_alignWithParentIfMissing="true" class="com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SuggestionsView" />
        <LinearLayout android:id="@id/footer" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true" />
        <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/search_edit_frame" android:background="@drawable/search_plate_global" android:paddingRight="4.0dip" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="-10.0dip" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" android:layout_alignParentTop="true" android:layout_alignParentRight="true">
            <ImageButton android:id="@id/search_go_btn" android:background="@drawable/btn_search_dialog" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginTop="6.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="6.0dip" android:src="@drawable/ic_btn_search" />
            <ImageButton android:id="@id/search_voice_btn" android:background="@drawable/btn_search_dialog_voice" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_marginRight="-4.0dip" android:src="@drawable/ic_btn_speak_now" />
        </LinearLayout>

thx! lets see if i can make any sense out of this. wish me luck!
  7. n00b.
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    Premium Member
    good luck!

8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    KookDoes
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Search "kookahdoo" on the market for my themed apps.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Code:
    change to
    Code:
    entire file:
    Code:
        </LinearLayout>
    im not sure what apktool i should dl so i went with the second one apktool1.3.2.tar.bz2 and now what do i do?? *scratches head* would it be too much for me to ask for an easy step by step?

Links