DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Boot Animations from Animated GIFS

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    So... the maximum size for these boot animation images are 480x845 (according to Mbk's earlier post)? Would smaller images cause any distortion or resizing or stretching?

Is there a limit to the length of the boot animations?
    Last edited by IcyStorm; 09-19-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: changed "ideal" to "maximum"; added a question
  2. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyStorm View Post
    So... the maximum size for these boot animation images are 480x845 (according to Mbk's earlier post)? Would smaller images cause any distortion or resizing or stretching?

Is there a limit to the length of the boot animations?
    Smaller images resized up would certainly lose image quality. Distortion would come if the aspect ratio of the image is changed...for instance if you had an image that was 480 480, and you resized that to 480 by 800 .....

Maximum length isn't really limited, but the more images there are the more chance of sluggish animation or most of the images not playing by the time your Droid boots up....especially on a part0 of a two part BA
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    Smaller images resized up would certainly lose image quality. Distortion would come if the aspect ratio of the image is changed...for instance if you had an image that was 480 480, and you resized that to 480 by 800 .....

Maximum length isn't really limited, but the more images there are the more chance of sluggish animation or most of the images not playing by the time your Droid boots up....especially on a part0 of a two part BA
    Well, I was asking if I used smaller images, would Android automatically enlarge it or anything like that?
  4. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyStorm View Post

Well, I was asking if I used smaller images, would Android automatically enlarge it or anything like that?
    Yeah you can do that by setting the size larger in your desc.txt file......but doesn't always work right, especially if you have differing sizes or images are too small....but usually you can cammond it from that file.
    It's just probably better though to use a image editor resize, but not absolutely a must...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 running Sapphire
    Quote Originally Posted by nyghtryder_9 View Post

dont know if these would work
    The smaller one may be a bit on the small side, but could work out nice. Hard to tell till I give it a shot.
    The larger one would work just fine, but without any movement to it. I do not have the time nor the experience to begin adding effects for the nice animation part of it. If you want it as a still image boot up, then it would work just fine.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 running Sapphire
    Sorry all for being away..school, kids, and work have me beat down some.

Mbk, finally checked out your Dragon boot... nice job. I gotta say, I was concerned about having a seizure there for a sec! LOL
    Last edited by Shibbey; 09-19-2010 at 10:51 PM.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibbey View Post
    Definately need a larger GIF than that. The larger the better. Remember, with graphics it is easy to shrink, compress etc...but enlarging causes a lot of deteriation of the quality.

If you find a video or animated GIF (much more preferred) just post a link to it or attach it in this thread. When I have time between 12 credit hours and working full time, I can work on making the boot image for you. Mbk, would probably beat me to it though. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Not me.... this is your baby Shibbey....

I just like to tinker for my own Droid. I have that DragonDroid bootanimation running on my UltimateDroid ROM now, along with my own personal custom theme that I only made for myself and port from ROM to ROM.

I just liked your idea of using GIFs for the images.... had been getting many of my images from existing bootanimations up til now, with a few self created images here and there.... but now after your idea, I've been getting those GIF images and also now editing them further using GIMP... kinda fun and for self-amusement mostly...lol

MBK, what programs do u use to make ur themes..i am interested in doing something like that..making a theme and porting from rom to rom..but I have no clue where to begin!

Also, if I were to give u a video of my daughter, could u make that a boot animation?
  8. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDad09 View Post

MBK, what programs do u use to make ur themes..i am interested in doing something like that..making a theme and porting from rom to rom..but I have no clue where to begin!

Also, if I were to give u a video of my daughter, could u make that a boot animation?
    I created mine just by extracting PNGs from different themes and APKs, creating some of my own PNGs, swapping out some APKs altogether, changing some hex color codes (which is basically unecessary now with UD since he has a settings menu for that, ...then ported them by pulling a new ROMs framework-res.apk and a few other APKs, and then basically swapped all of these into that ROM.
    I have yet to try and create a completely self created theme from scratch, I usually admire many of the things already put out by a 'Pro' themers and merely 'Kang' many of their PNGs, icons, or ideas...
  9. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    BTW HarleyDad... I have been entertaining the idea of perhaps taking one of the next ROMs (most likely UltimateDroid v9.0) I load and creating my own DragonDroid theme for it... not sure if I want to put in the time though, maybe.... I just tinkered with what I have currently and it's much easier to port what I have already than to try and create one from scratch as many of the talented Themers here do...
    Anyways, here's a simple look at what can be done to change the appearance of certain things...which is basically what theming really is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot Animations from Animated GIFS-snap20100921_190959.png   Boot Animations from Animated GIFS-snap20100921_191143.png  
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Sweet, I'm stoked for UD 9.0...any word on when Black is dropping that bad boy???

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    ULTIMATE DROID
    Chevy 1.25 ULV
    WATERMARK'd

Follow me on Twitter @DMV11982
    Request me on FACEBOOK
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Links