DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Detheming Really That Much of a Hassle?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Is Detheming Really That Much of a Hassle?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...post-root.html

End of the second post.

Does that mean that every time you wanted to change a theme you'd have to do a full app+data backup and restore once you change? Since it says to basically do a factory reset before you apply the new theme.

I searched for this but couldn't find any relevant results; every asks about APPLYING themes, not removing them. I just wanted to learn all I could before I even start applying any.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    There is no way to remove a theme. It replaces the old apps/images so there is no way to get them back. Only option is to reapply the rom or a stock theme specifically for that rom.

Sent from my Droid
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

-----------------------------------
  3. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch043 View Post

End of the second post.

Does that mean that every time you wanted to change a theme you'd have to do a full app+data backup and restore once you change? Since it says to basically do a factory reset before you apply the new theme.

I searched for this but couldn't find any relevant results; every asks about APPLYING themes, not removing them. I just wanted to learn all I could before I even start applying any.

Thank you in advance!
    It certainly wouldn't hurt but, I've done it before without wiping and had no issues...unless I was switching ROMs altogether. It also couldn't hurt to first flash back to the stock theme before applying the new theme. I make a nandroid backup of the ROM only and another for the theme + ROM regardless though..
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post

End of the second post.

Thank you in advance!
    It certainly wouldn't hurt but, I've done it before without wiping and had no issues...unless I was switching ROMs altogether. It also couldn't hurt to first flash back to the stock theme before applying the new theme. I make a nandroid backup of the ROM only and another for the theme + ROM regardless though..

Would that be what an advanced nandroid backup is?

I've never had to use that, I've only done simple ones.

What else can you back up specifically? haha.
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member

End of the second post.

Thank you in advance!

Yes. It's really quite simple to do a backup. They backup pretty much everything but the baseband and probably a couple more things. You can use Titanium Backup (free in market) to backup and restore apps and I use SMS Backup & Restore for texts.

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Yes. It's really quite simple to do a backup. They backup pretty much everything but the baseband and probably a couple more things. You can use Titanium Backup (free in market) to backup and restore apps and I use SMS Backup & Restore for texts.
    Yeah, I just paid $3.99 for the full Titanium Backup because it looks like a really great and useful app. Currently waiting on the email with the license key. >_<. I'm told I may have to wait overnight, which is depressing.

You don't have to do any wiping before you install a theme, do you? I mean, I've never installed a theme. I'm planning on installing ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.7 ROM and then flashing 928Droid's Black Glass theme over it. Obviously I'll have to wipe my cache and data for the ROM, but once I install the ROM and restore all of my apps back, can I just install the theme?

Sorry, that's a bit off-topic, but while we're here...
  7. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    I never have but, it couldn't hurt to make a backup of the stock ROM first...in case you don't like the theme. Dave (928Droid) makes AWESOME themes and doesn't disappoint though!!

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Any properly written theme app should be capable of of first backing up the files it replaces and then giving the user the option of uninstalling and reverting back to stock or whatever previous theme was in use. So far, the so called devs have been lazy in this regard, simply telling people to backup their entire rom before applying a theme. My advice to theme devs, don't bother releasing your smoked glass, or blue, or succulent whatever, unless you incorporate an uninstall option. Your reputations will soon depend on it.
    OG Droid retired but serving as a wireless tablet now and then.
  9. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    Any properly written theme app should be capable of of first backing up the files it replaces and then giving the user the option of uninstalling and reverting back to stock or whatever previous theme was in use. So far, the so called devs have been lazy in this regard, simply telling people to backup their entire rom before applying a theme. My advice to theme devs, don't bother releasing your smoked glass, or blue, or succulent whatever, unless you incorporate an uninstall option. Your reputations will soon depend on it.
    Yeah but its not a big deal...especially since they don't charge us for what they do for us. As far as their "reputation" goes, what they do (again, for FREE) for the Forum community is more than enough for me to be thankful for their work! Do you theme?

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    GSM Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    Yeah but its not a big deal...especially since they don't charge us for what they do for us. As far as their "reputation" goes, what they do (again, for FREE) for the Forum community is more than enough for me to be thankful for their work! Do you theme?
    I agree with DroidDoes - the developers are providing a FREE service, and they make the common sense observation to the end user that it is their responsibility (because it is *their* phone) to back up their system before trying any kind of modifications. If you're not comfortable with that warning/disclaimer, then don't install the theme.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links