DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Theming apps

  1. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #11
    hey thanks for your patience, i'm usually not this bad i promise haha ...but it's still not working, so here are the exact steps i'm doing...maybe you can figure out what i'm doing wrong...i'm trying to edit pandora

    1] copy com.pandora.android.apk to my sdcard
    2] copy com.pandora.android.apk from sdcard to computer
    3] edit files, making sure i hit "update archive" when prompted after saving files
    4] resigning the apk
    5] move the new com.pandora.android.apk to my sdcard
    6] navigate to /data/app and delete the existing com.pandora.android.apk
    7] paste the newly resigned com.pandora.android.apk from sdcard root to /data/app
    8] change permissions to rw-r-r and reboot

    The app disappears from the app drawer, and in the market it shows that it isn't installed. I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong here...do i have to uninstall pandora? do i have to install the new apk?
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. n00b.
    raidzero's Avatar
    Member #
    59181
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,054
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    hey thanks for your patience, i'm usually not this bad i promise haha ...but it's still not working, so here are the exact steps i'm doing...maybe you can figure out what i'm doing wrong...i'm trying to edit pandora

    1] copy com.pandora.android.apk to my sdcard
    2] copy com.pandora.android.apk from sdcard to computer
    3] edit files, making sure i hit "update archive" when prompted after saving files
    4] resigning the apk
    5] move the new com.pandora.android.apk to my sdcard
    6] navigate to /data/app and delete the existing com.pandora.android.apk
    7] paste the newly resigned com.pandora.android.apk from sdcard root to /data/app
    8] change permissions to rw-r-r and reboot

    The app disappears from the app drawer, and in the market it shows that it isn't installed. I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong here...do i have to uninstall pandora? do i have to install the new apk?
    Here is what I would do:

    Mount system: adb remount
    get the apk onto my PC: adb pull /data/app/Pandora.apk
    decompile the apk: apktool d Pandora.apk Pandora
    (make my edits)
    recompile the apk: apktool b Pandora
    (sign the out.apk)
    put the edited apk back onto the phone: adb push c:\path\to\your_signed_app.apk /data/app/pandora.apk

    my method requires the android sdk, well at least adb from it.
    You don;t need to decompile and recompile unless yuo plan to make xml or smali edits. make sure you use 7zip to do the apk editing and saving.
  3. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #13
    still no go...tried it with adb as well...same deal...everything seems to work fine with no errors but then it disappears from the app drawer and the market shows that its not installed...just don't get it
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #14
    easily one of the most frustrating things ever haha...tried everyhting imagineable..adb, root explorer, windows, ubuntu, and nothing works. I know I can take the easy way out and just put it in /system/app but I hate not being able to figure out why it's not working. I've gotta assume it's some issue with resigning because the pushing and pulling work fine and obviously work since moving the apks to /system/app never gives me any problems.

    anyone else have any idea what i could be doing wrong here?
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #15
    ok some progress(if you want to call it that...i wouldn't haha)...

    I installed Pandora from the market, copied the apk to my sdcard and then uninstalled Pandora through the market

    I then adb installed the apk that I had copied and all was well. The app installed, it shows up in my app drawer, and shows in the market as installed

    soooo....

    the error is happening after I edit the files. I've tried not resigning, I've tried resigning, I've tried adb, I've tried root explorer. I've tried it all, and whenever I edit a file I get the Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION] or parse error. Anyone can give me any tips on how to resign this apk correctly? I have ubuntu, but i can also use Windows if necessary. I know it can be done, just gotta figure out how haha
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. n00b.
    raidzero's Avatar
    Member #
    59181
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,054
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    ok some progress(if you want to call it that...i wouldn't haha)...

    I installed Pandora from the market, copied the apk to my sdcard and then uninstalled Pandora through the market

    I then adb installed the apk that I had copied and all was well. The app installed, it shows up in my app drawer, and shows in the market as installed

    soooo....

    the error is happening after I edit the files. I've tried not resigning, I've tried resigning, I've tried adb, I've tried root explorer. I've tried it all, and whenever I edit a file I get the Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION] or parse error. Anyone can give me any tips on how to resign this apk correctly? I have ubuntu, but i can also use Windows if necessary. I know it can be done, just gotta figure out how haha
    the autosign tool is just java so it SHOULD be platform independent, grab it from xda and then do this in the directory you extract it to :

    Code:
    java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 apk_to_be_signed.apk your_app_signed.apk

    "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  7. n00b.
    raidzero's Avatar
    Member #
    59181
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,054
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #17
    I just confirmed that you can sign apks in linux using the command I posted. I just tried it in slackware 13 and it worked fine

    "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  8. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #18
    Man...you have the patient of a saint haha so I want to thank you for that...but still no go. Again, the apk seems to sign correctly and the new apk is created. But when I go to adb install I get the parse error...

    The signing appears to work, yeah but are you able to install the slackware through adb or root explorer? That's where I get the parse error. All I'm doing is editing one file. Saving it. Resigning. And trying to install. No go....I just can't figure it out and my frustration level is through the roof haha
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. n00b.
    raidzero's Avatar
    Member #
    59181
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,054
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Man...you have the patient of a saint haha so I want to thank you for that...but still no go. Again, the apk seems to sign correctly and the new apk is created. But when I go to adb install I get the parse error...

    The signing appears to work, yeah but are you able to install the slackware through adb or root explorer? That's where I get the parse error. All I'm doing is editing one file. Saving it. Resigning. And trying to install. No go....I just can't figure it out and my frustration level is through the roof haha

    dont do adb install, just push the apk to its destination, it does not need to be formally installed. try that

    edit: I have never tried adb install. I just use adb push
    Last edited by raidzero; 05-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.

    "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  10. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Man...you have the patient of a saint haha so I want to thank you for that...but still no go. Again, the apk seems to sign correctly and the new apk is created. But when I go to adb install I get the parse error...

    The signing appears to work, yeah but are you able to install the slackware through adb or root explorer? That's where I get the parse error. All I'm doing is editing one file. Saving it. Resigning. And trying to install. No go....I just can't figure it out and my frustration level is through the roof haha

    dont do adb install, just push the apk to its destination, it does not need to be formally installed. try that

    edit: I have never tried adb install. I just use adb push
    tried adb push and it pushes correctly, I can see the apk in /data/app but it doesn't show in app drawer and the market says it's not installed...I think Android has finally defeated me haha...I really can't imagine what I could possibly be doing wrong...
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A little help theming apps...please :)
    By gszeman in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM
  2. Theming apps not included in Roms
    By tyroniousdex in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 07:49 PM
  3. Theming Help
    By thesoulsniper1 in forum Android Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
  4. Need help with theming music.apk
    By ninoedgar in forum Android Themes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:40 AM

Search tags for this page

adb install parse failed unexpected exception smali
,
apktool install parse failed
,

apktool install parse failed unexpected exception

,
apktools [install parse failed unexpected exception]
,

theming apps

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+