DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: ATTENTION LWP Gurus.... HELP Please...What am I doing wrong?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

ATTENTION LWP Gurus.... HELP Please...What am I doing wrong?

FULL DISCLOSURE.... I did not create the LWP bases that I am trying to modify. I got them from this forum somewhere and like the colors of the streaks running thru. Thought they would look great with some Spiderman backgrounds. If you recognize them as yours, I hope you don't mind me playing with them. If you do, let me know and I will have a moderater remove this thread.

That being said, I followed the great tutorial by jbg25 : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ackground.html. I edited my PNG file to be the within the size limits of the pyramid_background.png. ( No easy task as I have never used photo shop before. I always used Paint and it is so much simpler but doesnt offer transparencies etc... )

I do not understand the whole hex editing thing so I left the Nexus RS file alone. Why would I touch it when I already like the colors of the Nexus streaks?

Anyways, I load the .png, repackage as update.zip and fire up recovery. It loads the LWPs but when I select the Nexus one, I get a black screen and force close message. If I use root explorer, the background is there. What am I doing wrong, Is there some sort of transparency issue that I have wrong? I loaded the image with no transparencies.

I'm attaching the original update and my modified zip. I would be thankful if someone could take some time to compare the two and possibly tell me what I am doing wrong. I have been working on this project for a week. I'm no tech dummie and don't expect people to just "Do it for me" I love learning this kind of stuff. I am,however, smart enuff to know when to ask for help so.... HEEEEEEELP.

And...If you do figure out what I did wrong. If you take the time to fix it, that would be great, But, don't just fix it for me without telling me what I did wrong and how to correct it next time. Thank you all in advance for your help.
    Attached Files
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    VTCapsFan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    my guess would be you didnt maintain the original image size/dimensions
    Got OG on launch day, Got Nexus on launch day. Only Vanilla Android for me!
    Please follow me on twitter VTCapsFan !!!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I was having the same issue and here's what worked for me:

Edit the png in Gimp.
    Save the file as a jpg
    change the file extension to png and drag it back into the apk or zip file
    Droid Razr Maxx - rooted 214
    OG Droid - Desk Clock now
    Developer of Coordinate Converter application
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneRs View Post
    FULL DISCLOSURE.... I did not create the LWP bases that I am trying to modify. I got them from this forum somewhere and like the colors of the streaks running thru. Thought they would look great with some Spiderman backgrounds. If you recognize them as yours, I hope you don't mind me playing with them. If you do, let me know and I will have a moderater remove this thread.

That being said, I followed the great tutorial by jbg25 : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ackground.html. I edited my PNG file to be the within the size limits of the pyramid_background.png. ( No easy task as I have never used photo shop before. I always used Paint and it is so much simpler but doesnt offer transparencies etc... )

I do not understand the whole hex editing thing so I left the Nexus RS file alone. Why would I touch it when I already like the colors of the Nexus streaks?

Anyways, I load the .png, repackage as update.zip and fire up recovery. It loads the LWPs but when I select the Nexus one, I get a black screen and force close message. If I use root explorer, the background is there. What am I doing wrong, Is there some sort of transparency issue that I have wrong? I loaded the image with no transparencies.

I'm attaching the original update and my modified zip. I would be thankful if someone could take some time to compare the two and possibly tell me what I am doing wrong. I have been working on this project for a week. I'm no tech dummie and don't expect people to just "Do it for me" I love learning this kind of stuff. I am,however, smart enuff to know when to ask for help so.... HEEEEEEELP.

And...If you do figure out what I did wrong. If you take the time to fix it, that would be great, But, don't just fix it for me without telling me what I did wrong and how to correct it next time. Thank you all in advance for your help.
    you probably need to change the size different roms have different sizes like the first post mentioned

Cyanogenmod

Need A dropbox?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by rotordroid View Post
    I was having the same issue and here's what worked for me:

Edit the png in Gimp.
    Save the file as a jpg
    change the file extension to png and drag it back into the apk or zip file
    PERFECT!! That suggestion solved my problem. Who'd have thought it would be as simple as changing the file extension. Thank you a TON!! I now have a super cool Green Goblin LWP!! YAAAAAAY.

Links