DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Replacing Stock Wallpaper Gallery Pictures

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member

Replacing Stock Wallpaper Gallery Pictures

This took me awhile to figure out and I don't think it is a thread here yet so hopefully I can help someone out. I was wanting to replace the pictures in the wallpaper gallery with some wallpapers that I would actually use instead of the ones that came with the phone (Motorola Droid)

First Make a Backup

Root Access, Root explorer, and a Terminal Emulator is needed. If you go into root explorer system/app and find your launcher.apk, long press it, copy it and paste it into the root of your SD then connect to your PC and transfer the file onto your PC, rename it launcher.zip and open it go into the res/drawable-hdpi file and scroll to the bottom and there you will see the wallpapers you want to change

You cannot add anymore wallpapers than are already there. My launcher had 25 wallpapers, so I found 25 wallpapers that I really liked (I used Zedge from the market to find my wallpapers because they are already the right size and format) and rename the wallpapers exactly as they are named in the res/drawable-hdpi file of your launcher.zip As you drag them over the old pictures will be replaced with the new ones

wallpaper size is 640X480

The tricky part is that in the wallpaper gallery their is a wallpaper and a thumbnail picture so you will have to also make a resized copy of all of the pictures that you are trying to add to the Wallpaper gallery for the thumbnail, using photoshop or some other resizing software

The thumbnail size is 170x142

Inside the res/drawable-hdpi file where you have added the new pictures for your Gallery you will also need to add the resized images for the thumbnails. The smaller pictures will be named the same as the larger pictures that you renamed but they will have _small.jpg on the end instead of just .jpg To make it easier all you have to do once again is rename it exactly as it is in the original drawable-hdpi file and make sure your thumbnails are the same as the larger pictures or they will not match up in the gallery (your thumbnail will be different from the wallpaper)

Also you don't have to add the .jpg to the end of the picture that will happen automatically. For example I had to rename one of my 640X480 images wallpaper_bluedotgrid and the 170X142 image wallpaper_bluedotgrid_small

When this is done copy the launcher.zip back to the root of your SD card and disconnect your phone from your PC. I find it is easier to use a task killer which will restart the root explorer and then go in the root of your sd card find the launcher.zip, long press it and rename it launcher.apk then open a terminal and type the following command

su
    sysrw
    cd /sdcard
    cp -R launcher.apk /system/app
    sysro
    sync
    reboot

Then there you have it your own wallpapers in the wallpaper gallery
    Like I said hopefully this saves people some time and trouble
    Any questions just ask

Streamlining every inch of my Droid

Rockin the Curved Unlock Wheel
    Last edited by tp7six; 04-25-2010 at 03:37 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted RazrMaxx
    Could someone just delete the pictures in there if they were desperate for space? And can you just copy over the launcher file with root explorer when your done? Of course making sure the permissions are the same? I'm always trying to find the 'easier' way to do it ...
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Good write up.
    Its quite a bit of info lol, but its really not that confusing.
    Ive been looking to do this, so I appreciate it
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted RazrMaxx
    Well I started to do this to change my pics but I only have 14, the rest of them have names, both the regular and thumbs, but 0 bytes. Nothing there but the names. Any idea what gives? They all have the same dates of 5-2-2009 so it's not because of rooting, or a rom. Somehow I've lost half of them.
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by microsnook View Post
    Good write up.
    Its quite a bit of info lol, but its really not that confusing.
    Ive been looking to do this, so I appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfx View Post
    Well I started to do this to change my pics but I only have 14, the rest of them have names, both the regular and thumbs, but 0 bytes. Nothing there but the names. Any idea what gives? They all have the same dates of 5-2-2009 so it's not because of rooting, or a rom. Somehow I've lost half of them.
    It is alot of info but that is as simple as I could put it. It seems the more I dive into the .apk files and start to customize images, the easier this stuff gets and the better my Droid gets.

As far as picture file names being there with no pictures, I am sure if you name the picture you would like to have there the file name of the empty file that is already there, then it will show up

I know that while I was doing this I mispelled one of the files and thumb files, it did not overwrite the original. When I went to look at my Wallpaper Gallery the original was still there and I couldn't see the mispelled copy. I pulled the Launcher.apk again and my mispelled copy was in there. Only after I spelled it the right way did it overwrite and show up in the Gallery

Rooted In 2010
    Last edited by tp7six; 04-26-2010 at 04:11 AM.
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member

Re: Replacing Stock Wallpaper Gallery Pictures

Updated: looks like you can do the same thing with NinjaMorph (Stericson) as long as your files are named correctly and sized right

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

Links