DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD card notification

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1

SD card notification

If I set my notification sound to R2D2 (from Soundroid Soundboard) the "initialize SD card"sound becomes a ring; not R2D2 and not the default of"Droid" either. I'm guessing this is because the R2D2 sound is on the SD card and can't be used before it's initialized. Is there any way of setting the SD card sound separately? If it can't be R2D2 I guess I'd like it to say Droid, or at least be able to choose.
    Thanks for any advice!
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Not sure this is what you are looking for

Tap menu, tap settings, tap sounds and display,scroll down and tap SD card notifications.

Mike
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Yes and no; that just gives you the option of turning the notification sound on or off. Maybe those are the only options. What I was wondering was how to change that sound. I'm not crazy about the ring sound it does now, but I don't want it saying "Droid "for everything either. If I can't choose a separate sound for SD card notification I suppose I'll turn that sound off. It's just that with all the customizing that can apparently be done I thought I'd ask...
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Check the n otification settings an d look to see if you can add ringtone
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    It seems that if I choose a sound that is among the ones the Droid comes with it will play whatever sound I select for SD card notification, but if I choose a notification sound that is on the SD card, the SD sound defaults to a ring, which, oddly enough, I can't find among the notification sounds.
    Perhaps handcent is the answer. If I understand it correctly, it allows you to choose custom notifications for different events.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGTR View Post
    If I set my notification sound to R2D2 (from Soundroid Soundboard) the "initialize SD card"sound becomes a ring; not R2D2 and not the default of"Droid" either. I'm guessing this is because the R2D2 sound is on the SD card and can't be used before it's initialized. Is there any way of setting the SD card sound separately? If it can't be R2D2 I guess I'd like it to say Droid, or at least be able to choose.
    Thanks for any advice!
    If you set the notification ringtone to the r2d2 and set the SD card notification on then it should sound...when you get a notification in the notification bar is it a ring or r2d2?
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I'll try to explain this as best as I can, the ring you hear, is the default "fall back" ringtone/notification sound that you hear when the system can't access your default, like when your SDCard is inaccessible. A way to solve this is to have root, if you do not, and you want to know how to root, search, plenty of topics on it. Then, using a program like root explorer you can place the r2d2 sound you use in the /system/media/audio/notifications folder and then be able to select it from the notification alert menu. Reason that works is the sound will be stored on the droids internal memory instead of the sdcard, therefore, it should always be accessible to the system.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Thanks, Tac.css. I've read a lot here about root and I'm still not sure I know what it is. I guess I need "Root For Dummies"; hey, I've only had my Droid a week or so.
    I'm guessing I'll probably get root eventually--once I'm sure I'll know what I'm doing.
    In the meantime you have confirmed that the issue is what I thought it was. I may try Handcent anyway; a lot of people seem to like it, and if it allows you to choose different notifications for different events I could leave the default notification as one that is on the phone and set R2D2 for SMS, etc. Except if you have to go in individually in Handcent and set different notification sounds for each SMS contact individually it might be a PITA.
    I'm a n00b and I know it, which is why I'm proceeding with caution...
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Root is really nothing more then having administration privileges over your phone. Rooting itself is not very hard, honestly, if you are still running 2.0.1 you could download DMUpdater and root in minutes. Even then, if you head over to the development section on alldroid and read up on some stuff there, you could find a way to root 2.1 if you accepted the OTA update. I can't really think of a negative thing about root, you are truly able to customize your phone at that point, plus, have access to some very neat apps that would not be possible without rooting.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    I have 2.01. I was wondering if I should wait for 2.1 to root or not. I don't quite understand all the terminology yet (like OTA)--like I said, I'm a n00b. I've already come across a few of the apps in the market that need root. As I said, I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I do it. I don't want to frak up my phone!
    If you root, what happens when the regular updates happen?
    Thanks for your help and patience.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links