First off this should work with all GB based roms that use systemui.apk
there may be subtle differences but the basics should be the same all around.
after much trial and error and ripping what little hair I have left out
success was mine and it's time to share this with everyone
and it's so simple that you'll love how fast you can integrate this into ROM's / themes / whatever your heart desires
1. take your systemui.apk and decompile it
2. navigate to layout folder
3. grab "status_bar_tracking.xml" and open it up in your editor
(now for the fun)
4. to the first line - "com.android.systemui.statusbar.TrackingView" add this ""android:background="@drawable/...anim.xml""
5. after saving that, navigate back into the drawable folder and add your animation.xml file there<com.android.systemui.statusbar.TrackingView android:background="@drawable/...anim.xml...>
5a. next navigate into the drawable/hdpi folder and add your animated images
6. also in the drawable/hdpi folder find and open up the shade_bg.png with your editor and make it 100% transparent
7. now it's time to recompile your apk , following all the usual directions with that
8. enjoy your newly created systemui.apk with a pretty animated background. new and fresh and unlike anything before
that's it. done deal. it's super easy and fast and breathes life into true customization.
I used the stat_sys_upload.xml from the framework-res.apk as my base
all I had to do was change the timing and change the image names.
also you'll notice above - don't copy it word for word on the xml.
I did the "..." meaning whatever you decide to name your file.
I'll try to throw up a video shortly of my success with this so everyone can see it.
For Froyo users please following the information below.
And many thanks to santiemanuel for the find
It's very cool, and I wanted to get it, but my Milestone 2 is stuck in Froyo YET. So lets port this thingy.
You need transparency hack enabled
Go to drawable-hdpi and make status_bar_background.png fully transparent with PS or GIMP
GO to layout and edit the 2nd line of status_bar_tracking.xml like this
<com.android.server.status.TrackingView android:background="@drawable/status_bar_background_animation" androidrientation="vertical" androidaddingLeft="0.0px" androidaddingRight="0.0px" androidaddingBottom="0.0px" android:focusable="true" android:visibility="gone" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"
where status_bar_background_animation links to status_bar_background_animation.xml in drawable folder, there you set the images and durations.
Recompile, and that's it. Enjoy, Greetings from Argentina.