DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on decompiling APKS

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola DROID

Question on decompiling APKS

Hi all looking for some info on decompiling apks with apk manager. I have no problem decompiling any apks like framework apk, browser apk or the phone apk. My problem comes when I go to decompile any systemUI apks or settings apks I always end up with the same massage from apk manager saying

"An Error Occured, Please Check The Log (option 21)"
    Press any key to continue . . . "

Dose anyone have any idea why this is happening, I can post the log if needed?
    I am newish at this, I can sit here and read the log all day but I am going to be honest with you I have no idea what it means.

Any help is welcome Thanks.
    Retired Droid 1
    At the moment a stock Bionic
    Soon to be a rooted Bionic

Rooted Bionic Running Pacman Rom

3. Guest
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    D1...what else?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    what error does the log say? and what app(s) in particular?
  4. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1173 View Post
    Hi all looking for some info on decompiling apks with apk manager. I have no problem decompiling any apks like framework apk, browser apk or the phone apk. My problem comes when I go to decompile any systemUI apks or settings apks I always end up with the same massage from apk manager saying

I am newish at this, I can sit here and read the log all day but I am going to be honest with you I have no idea what it means.

I've tested and verified it to work with APKManager following what I'll explain...
    OK... some guy at XDA was tinkering with apktool.jar and noted that this command helped with decompiling the SystemUI.apk... has to do with the certificate signature already in use with the framework-res.apk or to that effect, thus erroring out when trying to decompile SystemUI...

my suggestion is to copy your apktool.jar from the apkmanager 'others' folder to your C drives root directory, so you have it available in both places and much easier than typing on the full path for it when you run this command...

I also had the framework-res.apk and the SystemUi.apk in the C directory as well so that apktool sees them...

then run

java -jar apktool.jar if framework-res.apk

then

java -jar apktool.jar d SystemUI.apk decompiled

Once that's done you should be able to run APKManager as usual and it'll decompile the SystemUI.apk without errors... and it should always be able to decompile that apk from that point on, so you can get rid of the framework, SystemUI.apks, and the decompiled folder from the C directory and it will still decomp[ile in APKManager properly from that point on...

Give it a whirl and let me know.... I am 100% certain it'll work for you guys as well... "
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post

I've tested and verified it to work with APKManager following what I'll explain...
    OK... some guy at XDA was tinkering with apktool.jar and noted that this command helped with decompiling the SystemUI.apk... has to do with the certificate signature already in use with the framework-res.apk or to that effect, thus erroring out when trying to decompile SystemUI...

my suggestion is to copy your apktool.jar from the apkmanager 'others' folder to your C drives root directory, so you have it available in both places and much easier than typing on the full path for it when you run this command...

I also had the framework-res.apk and the SystemUi.apk in the C directory as well so that apktool sees them...

then run

then

Once that's done you should be able to run APKManager as usual and it'll decompile the SystemUI.apk without errors... and it should always be able to decompile that apk from that point on, so you can get rid of the framework, SystemUI.apks, and the decompiled folder from the C directory and it will still decomp[ile in APKManager properly from that point on...

Give it a whirl and let me know.... I am 100% certain it'll work for you guys as well... "
    Good to know, thanks mbk!

This thread has been Thunder struck!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola DROID

then run

then

When you talk about the framwork and systemui apks should those be form the rom you are working with?
    Retired Droid 1

7. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member

then run

then

When you talk about the framwork and systemui apks should those be form the rom you are working with?
    Yeah it can be from the ROM you are currently working with, but afterwards you will be able to decompile any SystemUI.apk from any ROM without ever having to do this again...
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola DROID
    Thanks for all the info and help will give it a go and see what happens.....
    Retired Droid 1

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola DROID
    Mbk thanks for the help that did the trick.
    One last question can I go ahead and delete the framework-res apk, SystemUI apk, the decompiled SystemUI.apk, and the copy of the java akptool or should i leave them there???
    Retired Droid 1

10. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    You can now delete all of those from your C drive's root directory...
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola DROID
    You can now delete all of those from your C drive's root directory...
    Thanks that was a great Big help that was driving me nuts for a long time.
    Retired Droid 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links