DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who boot logos, boot animations, & wallpaper

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaemmer View Post
    *edit* I've trimmed it down to 18 seconds, but for some reason it takes about 28 seconds to play the "video", 273 frames at 15fps SHOULD be 18.2 seconds, so i'm guessing i'm getting some REALLY bad lag for some reason. This is driving me nuts lol.
    Keep in mind, the desc.txt is merely instructions for how the phone should play the animation. You'll quickly find the limitations in the phone's hardware and/or software when you start counting. There is one possible solution though.

When you copied the audio into /system/media, did you do it manually or do they (Team Liberty) provide a script to do it for you? If you browse to /system/media with Root Explorer or Super Manager, is the audio file still named drwho.ogg or was it renamed to something like android_audio.mp3 or ogg? I know of two ways to enable sound.

The first method I found was here. With this scripting, the audio must be renamed 'android_audio.mp3'. Obviously the desc.txt within the bootanimation.zip must be modified to point to this file. I'm certain an app or script could make these changes automagic so the user doesn't see what's going on; it just works. That method could be modified to fit a rom, so it doesn't have to be exact. I wonder if Team Liberty implemented something like this?

More recently, another option became available. This second method is the one I recommend, unless you are using a Gingerbread rom. Replacing the /system/bin/bootanimation binary with the one from the D2 R2D2 edition enables sound. An additional benefit is that animations tend to play very well in sync with audio, even on my D1. Apparently, even 24fps animations with sound play in sync better on my phone than your DX. Unfortunately, this binary was released on the D2R2D2 running froyo and works well on froyo roms, but the GB roms out there all seem to break it. I've been told there are missing symbol(s) in the EGL library. Once GB hits the D2R2D2, I'm hoping an updated binary or other fix will become available.

I'd suggest attempting the 2nd option. It can't hurt to try it. I've been told boot animations won't play if running the updated binary on a GB rom, but I don't suspect it would be affected by the 1st option scripting. Just rename your current /system/bin/bootanimation something like bootanimation_nosnd. Don't delete it, as if you do upgrade to a GB rom (or some other reason), you'll need to revert back. Copy the updated D2R2D2 binary in its place, duplicate the permissions, and give it a reboot to see the difference! Don't forget, you'll probably need to delete the android_audio.mp3, so you don't have two instances of it attempting to play at the same time. I'd recommend using the original naming in my animations. I keep all of my sounds at /system/media so I just plop in whatever bootanimation.zip I want ATM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (liberty 1.5)

Thumbs down

I copied it into system/media manually, got the audio working, it must have been an error in the desc.txt file. Also i replaced the bootanimation binary with the R2D2 D2 and it seems to have dramatically improved the boot animation performance, what took 28 seconds before now correctly plays in 18. However...it now cuts off the end of the doctor who animation at about 16-17 seconds (the whistling JUST starts during the theme). Is there a way to force the phone to play the entire boot animation or will it just terminate when its done booting?

*edit* Just to check something out to make sure i wasn't going crazy i made an animation that SHOULD play for 28 seconds, and it also is cut short at about 17 seconds
    Last edited by blaemmer; 04-07-2011 at 06:19 AM.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    I copied it into system/media manually, got the audio working, it must have been an error in the desc.txt file. Also i replaced the bootanimation binary with the R2D2 D2 and it seems to have dramatically improved the boot animation performance, what took 28 seconds before now correctly plays in 18. However...it now cuts off the end of the doctor who animation at about 16-17 seconds (the whistling JUST starts during the theme). Is there a way to force the phone to play the entire boot animation or will it just terminate when its done booting?

*edit* Just to check something out to make sure i wasn't going crazy i made an animation that SHOULD play for 28 seconds, and it also is cut short at about 17 seconds
    Just to be clear, your animation was clipped around the 17s mark both in audio and video? Does it seem harsh or acceptable? Is there any black screen while you wait for the lockscreen to appear or does the phone seem fully booted?

I intentionally chose the point of the animation where the whistling was starting to end the animation. It was sort of the best place in the 15-20s range for both video and audio to be clipped.

It sounds like the phone was fully booted and was simply loading home screen after the animation was complete. In my opinion, the best boot animations play in full and once completed, the lock screen is immediately available. There is a sort of sweet spot around the 15-20s range where that occurs with this D2R2D2 bootanimation binary.

Before, with my D1's stock binary, some animations, particularly the 24fps variety, would appear quite smooth, but noticeably start slowing down or lagging close to 20s and the lockscreen would appear after possibly a screen flicker. The animation might even freeze. I've watched numerous animation videos on YouTube and noticed this behavior, which is not desirable. I believe animations longer than ~20s will not play in full regardless of which binary is used. If an animation played longer than this amount of time with the stock binary, it was because it was running slowly and, I'm guessing, the stock binary was not stopping the animation until it completed.

If you are trying to find the best stopping point on your new animation, it may help to add a few frames of fuchsia or cyan to make the ending more noticeable.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    I copied it into system/media manually, got the audio working, it must have been an error in the desc.txt file.
    I just noticed, are you saying there might be an error in my desc.txt of one of my animations? If so, which file so I can correct it?

Also i replaced the bootanimation binary with the R2D2 D2 and it seems to have dramatically improved the boot animation performance, what took 28 seconds before now correctly plays in 18.
    For this reason alone, I recommend everyone change this binary to the one from R2D2 edition D2. Playback rate seems to be ignored by the stock binary and, while playback on faster phones like the DX is slowed less, the D2R2D2 binary's performance allows the phone to follow the instructions set in the desc.txt far more accurately and noticeably, even on animations without sound.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    No, on my desc.txt i was missing the line break. After I put one in the sound worked fine.

Yes both audio and video stop at about 17s and the home screen comes up. Regardless of the length of the audio, the sound stops as soon as the video is done (I tried a 17s video with a 28second audio clip to verify).
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    No, on my desc.txt i was missing the line break. After I put one in the sound worked fine.

Yes both audio and video stop at about 17s and the home screen comes up. Regardless of the length of the audio, the sound stops as soon as the video is done (I tried a 17s video with a 28second audio clip to verify).
    Yes, the audio cannot play without the video for certain. I believe the audio is clipped at the correct point regardless of whether the animation plays accurately or at a slower framerate than specified. If you wanted to extend the audio a little to play with a slow playing animation, it would be best to insert a pause at the end of the frames. E.g., let's say given a 15s clip, playing at 24fps, you should have 360 frames. At 24 fps, the animation may take 17 seconds to play out, yet the audio cuts right at 15. You might be able to add 2 seconds to the total allowed playtime via desc.txt:
    Code:
    480 270 24
    p 1 48 part0
    s audio.ogg
    This example plays the entire animation and then simply pauses on the final frame. The total animation is increased by 2 seconds (48 frames @ 24fps), at least in theory, and therefore enough time is allowed for audio to better match the video. It's not ideal, but making the final frame black will make it appear to finish completely with audio in better "perceptual sync" with your visual animation and then have a couple of seconds of blank screen before lockscreen. The animation should play the final 2 seconds more accurately than the more intense portion of the animation, so the lagged play should not translate at the end. Also, given the way animations seem to be cut off before finishing, perhaps there will be even less blank screen before the lockscreen. That's sort of hypothetical, though.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Thumbs down

Just wanted to update my learning progress. I think i've finally gotten the hang of this. Super worked well but i found that Avidemux is working better for me (which i had all along doh). Avidemux will let you save a selection of a video as .jpg so all i have to do from there is use faststone to batch resize/rotate/reduce the dpi and i'm done with the animation.

Here's the couple that i've done so far

Star Wars opening text scroll (granted its only 17 seconds of it) in landscape running at 15fps.

boot animation
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    audio file

Despicable Me (short clip from a preview with 2 minions) in landscape running at 25 fps.

boot animation
    audio file
    Last edited by blaemmer; 04-08-2011 at 09:57 AM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    Just wanted to update my learning progress. I think i've finally gotten the hang of this. Super worked well but i found that Avidemux is working better for me (which i had all along doh). Avidemux will let you save a selection of a video as .jpg so all i have to do from there is use faststone to batch resize/rotate/reduce the dpi and i'm done with the animation.

Here's the couple that i've done so far

Star Wars opening text scroll (granted its only 17 seconds of it) in landscape running at 15fps.
    (will insert files once uploaded)

Despicable Me (short clip from a preview with 2 minions) in landscape running at 25 fps.
    Awesome, I'm excited to help spread the knowledge and produce more animation choices. May I suggest creating a thread where you locate your work in general? Animations get lost real fast in this forum as the novelty wears off. If you keep them all in one place, at least the thread maintains activity. Also, you can keep the first posts for yourself to bookmark further releases on other pages. Looking forward to seeing your work!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I just found this thread after a google search so I'm in the process of downloading the files now (I would almost kill to have high speed internet again!). Is there any chance of getting a boot animate of possibly just the tardis phasing in/out? Or maybe something from the David Tennant or Christopher Eggelston years? I'm not a big fan of the latest Dr. though he does have some moments but that could be just the fact that it took them a whole season last year to finally get an episode as good as any of the ones in the previous four seasons (IMVHO of course).

Thanks.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    HTC One (M8)
    Quote Originally Posted by matjmonk View Post
    I just found this thread after a google search so I'm in the process of downloading the files now (I would almost kill to have high speed internet again!). Is there any chance of getting a boot animate of possibly just the tardis phasing in/out? Or maybe something from the David Tennant or Christopher Eggelston years? I'm not a big fan of the latest Dr. though he does have some moments but that could be just the fact that it took them a whole season last year to finally get an episode as good as any of the ones in the previous four seasons (IMVHO of course).

Thanks.
    I'm definitely interested in doing more of these animations. I still have a better quality version of the first animation in this thread, yet to be uploaded, and then sound to be added later.

If you have a specific video you can link to for instance, I'll see if I can get to it. I'm a bit busy to give a good estimate on how soon, but I should be back in full swing this summer.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Links