DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: PLEASE VERIZON! Fix this issue. You KNOW it exists

  1. Droid Newbie
    jpbellis's Avatar
    Member #
    135517
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    droid 1
    #1

    Thumbs down PLEASE VERIZON! Fix this issue. You KNOW it exists

    There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations (many times after an upgrade to 2.2). Just do a Google search on Droid reporting wrong location. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps, gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 tower based locator services....

    Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. What iDoesn't
    Droid DOES!!'s Avatar
    Member #
    77093
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,335
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #2
    So, you're trying to use location services with the GPS OFF??

    Quote Originally Posted by jpbellis View Post
    There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations (many times after an upgrade to 2.2). Just do a Google search on Droid reporting wrong location. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps, gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 tower based locator services....

    Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....


    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

    If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  4. Droid Ninja
    harrellj's Avatar
    Member #
    94200
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,063
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    #3
    Also, I believe part of E911 is that it enables the GPS just so that it IS accurate.
  5. Senior Droid
    js0724's Avatar
    Member #
    63660
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    119
    Phone
    Droid
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    So, you're trying to use location services with the GPS OFF??

    Quote Originally Posted by jpbellis View Post
    There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations (many times after an upgrade to 2.2). Just do a Google search on Droid reporting wrong location. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps, gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 tower based locator services....

    Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....


    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)
    My thoughts exactly. Why would you expect location to be accurate with GPS off?

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. What iDoesn't
    Droid DOES!!'s Avatar
    Member #
    77093
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,335
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #5
    I believe I read that somewhere honestly...can't remember where though.

    Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    Also, I believe part of E911 is that it enables the GPS just so that it IS accurate.


    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

    If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  7. Master Droid
    joeybarclay's Avatar
    Member #
    83005
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid
    #6
    I can't believe that they gave you a replacement for a perfectly working phone and they wont replace mine with a broken power button.
  8. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #7
    I had to call 911 on my phone to report a drunk driver. He had a tree stuck to his rear axle, no joke, and almost took out guardrails. He kept swerving, flashing his turn signals, and drifting all over the road.

    It connected me via the closest tower. Yes, it was a county over, but that was the strongest signal I had. As soon as the location was ID'd they transferred to the proper county.

    It didn't turn the GPS on, but it might open a channel for some 911 systems to activate the GPS system if it's needed for whatever reason. And it connects to the nearest tower, so even though Maps might be wrong, the phone knows where it is.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Issue with Verizon Network Extender??
    By gripweed in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
  3. Account already exists?
    By nygh in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 05:17 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Search tags for this page

how to reset verizon network extender
,
reset towers verizon
,
verizon extender gps hack
,
verizon network extender gps hack
,
verizon network extender gps lock
,

verizon network extender hack

,
verizon network extender reports wrong location
,
verizon network extender wrong location
,

verizon reset towers

,
what's wrong with verizon towers
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+