DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Exchange Workaround for Eris

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris

Exchange Workaround for Eris

My comany will not allow my personally-owned Verizon Eris to be added to the corporate Exchange server. They have an exclusive deal with another carrier, and won't support the device.

To make matters worse, they won't allow POP access either, and have blocked server-side automatic forwarding, so I couldn't even set up an Outlook rule to forward my company mail to my Gmail account.

Their solution was to use Webmail from within the browser, which works, but it's very cumbersome and unfriendly.

I searched and found and found shareware for $20 from SRS Software (www.srs1software.com) that gave me a work-around. When installed and running, it "reads" and manually forwards e-mails to another address. The only downside is that because it's a client-side application, it AND Outlook must be open and running at all times for the forward to work.

Not having access to corporate mail was a dealbreaker for me, but I found the Eris a desireable enough device to make it work.

Just thought I'd share, as it took a lot of research and some out-of-the-box thinking to get this done, and it might save someone else that headache!

Jim
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You might try downloading the trial of Touchdown. For the server settings, you can put in your OWA web address. It's worked for me and many others. I get email/calendar/global address book this way on my Droid.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Thank you, Golfpro.

I have tried to use Touchdown, but have not been able to make it work with our OWA. I think it may have to do with the double-authentication we use.

In other words, I first have to log onto one page - let's say it's "webmail.mycompany.com" - and enter one ID and password. That takes me to a page where I have to select a server based upon my ID and geographical area. Once I do that, it brings me to the Webmail log-on page where I enter my Outlook username and password.

I have no idea how to make Touchdown work with this scenario, but I'd be very, very interested in making it work if you or anyone else on the list would know!

Jim
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    No way to make a location a default?

Why are you using a personal deice for corp email? just wonder since I do the same....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    My company will either provide a phone and/or Blackberry, or will reimburse me for my own device.

I had a corporate BB for awhile in addition to my personal phone, but preferred to carry a single device instead of two.

I didn't want to give up my personal account or phone number - should I ever leave the organization (or they leave me!) I didn't want my cell phone number going away, too. I've had it too long.

So I went the route of getting reimbursed for my personal device.

Trouble is, it's not supported in any way, shape or form from IT and in fact is actually excluded from many Exchange capabilities....

Thus the quest for Plan B, C, D, or E when it comes to getting e-mail :-)
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I'm surprised they are willing to reimburse you for a non-supported device....

Good Luck.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Links