DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Deactivating Droid?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Deactivating Droid?

Hello all! There is a Droid on Craigslist that apparently wasn't deactivated at the time of upgrading a phone. He bought it to use it for development purposes, but now doesn't need it. My question is, if I flash the phone or hard rest, or use the program that completely wipes the phone, will it be usable again? Also, is there an easier way to deactivate the Droid?

3. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    for all you know, it could be stolen. if it wasnt deactivated, it cant ever be used on VZW without it going back to original owner and having him take care of it.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    for all you know, it could be stolen. if it wasnt deactivated, it cant ever be used on VZW without it going back to original owner and having him take care of it.

what if, hypothetically of course, I was going to flash this particular phone to Cricket....?
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    I am not sure if you know or not but Cricket is owned by Verizon. So you need to see if you can check on the MEID and see if it is clean and useable.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by dlwhtrose View Post
    I am not sure if you know or not but Cricket is owned by Verizon. So you need to see if you can check on the MEID and see if it is clean and useable.

I thought page plus was owned by Verizon....

How would I go about doing that? And what would tell me if it was usable or not?
    Last edited by l0n3r; 10-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.
  7. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Yeah I was surprised to learn that too but my mother was going to buy a Cricket phone only to be told to read the little print which she did and found Verizon all over it.

What you can do is contact the person who is selling the phone and ask them for the meid number so that you can verify with Verizon that its not stolen or blocked. Then once you get that number call Verizon customer service and tell them that you may be buying the phone and want to verify that the MEID number is good to go. They will tell you if you can use it or not.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ok since this is about the same topic. Quick quesiton. If I upgrade to the droid X and want to sell off my droid 1 do I just need to activate the droid x on my account (only me on the account) and then the droid 1 will be clear and ready to sell? or is there anything else I need to do?
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    I believe that once you activate another phone to your line then the original phone becomes inactive and as long as you do not have a unpaid bill or reported it stolen or anything you should be good to go with selling it.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Every Verizon Android!
    Quote Originally Posted by l0n3r View Post
    Hello all! There is a Droid on Craigslist that apparently wasn't deactivated at the time of upgrading a phone. He bought it to use it for development purposes, but now doesn't need it. My question is, if I flash the phone or hard rest, or use the program that completely wipes the phone, will it be usable again? Also, is there an easier way to deactivate the Droid?
    I guess I am a little confused about the question at hand here. If the original owner upgraded to a new phone, the droid would be deactivated at the time of the upgrade to the new phone. How long the phone was on the account doesn't matter. Now, if the phone is still in use on the account, then the phone would have to be deactivated by the original owner prior to you activating it. Sometimes the ESN will go through, even though it is active on another line, but not always. The best thing to do is get the ESN number and check with Verizon to verify that the device is clean for activation on your account. We can tell you if it is clean, and whether is is able to activated.

Links