DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no sound after unplugging headphones?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

no sound after unplugging headphones?

ok, so I noticed this recently after upgrading the 2.0 software. I listen to music constantly at work, and when I unplug my headphones to make a call after listening to music the call timer starts but I cant hear any dial tone or the person on the other end. the only way I have found to reset this is to shut the phone completely off for a few minutes then restart.....quite the pain in the butt for the privledge of using your phone as a phone! anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm hitting this same problem too. I'm taking in my phone to get it checked out. Do they transfer applications if they replace the phone?

I also hit a problem that causes the headphone Jack to be VERY jittery, it switches from stereo to mono and back and goes into shuffle and global shuffle without warning.
    Motorola Droid - Cyanogenmod 6.0.0-Droid | apps2SD | bekit 1200

Sent from my computer through thousands of network nodes to the DroidForums web/mySQL server, then from the web/mySQL server through thousands more of network nodes to your viewing device.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This seems to be a rather common issue with a lot of smartphones. The 3g had the same issue and the way to fix it was to put the headphones back in and take it out again (several times if necessary). The Pre had similar issues and their way of dealing with it was to launch something like Pandora with the headphones in a pull it out. I haven't run into this yet though on the Droid but I won't be surprised if it does happen at least once.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.0
    I believe they do not transfer applications when you take it to get it swapped....photos and contacts yes, but I don't think applications...I hope I am wrong.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh then I think I might just stick with the problem :/ I don't want to lose my robo defense scores...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmetalmike View Post
    ok, so I noticed this recently after upgrading the 2.0 software. I listen to music constantly at work, and when I unplug my headphones to make a call after listening to music the call timer starts but I cant hear any dial tone or the person on the other end. the only way I have found to reset this is to shut the phone completely off for a few minutes then restart.....quite the pain in the butt for the privledge of using your phone as a phone! anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?
    Nice workaround -- don't unplug the headphones to make a call! The incoming audio will go to your headphones and the regular phone mic will pick up your voice -- just hold the phone near your face and talk to it. Nice undocumented feature!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    my first treo 755p did this
    and, even after a great deal of manipulation, would NEVER work again... and had to be replaced

all the "switching" going on
    smartphones STILL don't seem to be an "exact science"
    i hope that a significant number of droids won't have this issue.
    Greg
    Clearwater, FL

Droid RAZR Maxx
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    another unwritten feature is to hook your droid to your car stereo using a auxillary cord, you can listen to music, and use the phone as a handsfree device. It's works pretty good. Also if your using the Navigation, and listening to music, it automatically pauses the music to tell you directions over your car speakers.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hmm, do apps like my lookout backup apps too?

How long/hard is it to replace a phone? What do I need to take?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by srothkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmetalmike View Post
    Nice workaround -- don't unplug the headphones to make a call! The incoming audio will go to your headphones and the regular phone mic will pick up your voice -- just hold the phone near your face and talk to it. Nice undocumented feature!
    Actually, I think you hit on the actual problem with your solution (which is actually what I have always done, just take the call the same way you are listening to music... there is no "need" to take out the headphones.

But the problem (bug) is that there are two competing things going on here. The music player by default pauses on an incoming call and possibly locks the sound to whatever output is in place at that time (headphones), and when you remove the headset, the sound is still locked there.

Note also how your music player stops (or at least pauses) when you remove a headset. If that same API activates when you are switching to a call, your call may be "paused" (which of course is a bad thing).

Definitely an issue, but one that only crops up in this specific use case... so it will probably be resolved... eventually.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links