DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Did this work for you?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes, I'm not only rooted, but deodexed and themed.

8 33.33%
  • Sure, I was able to root, but didn't bother deodexing.

7 29.17%
  • I was already rooted, but now I'm deodexed too.

4 16.67%
  • No, I ran into trouble during the process.

2 8.33%
  • No, I stopped at the disclaimer because I got scared.

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Root, Deodex, and Theme Droid Froyo 2.2 FRG22D

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by txter View Post
    oh ya...i should be in PC Mode for the usb for this thing right?
    You want to have USB debugging on the whole time, yes. You want to turn on mass storage to copy the files from your computer to the sdcard and turn it off in order to copy them from you sdcard to the system folders.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by portermac View Post
    So Im thinking this is was what I was waiting for to root. I will be using a Mac and I have a Motorola Droid.
    1) I noticed the Droid2Root.rar. This is what I need to root a Motorola droid? Im just making sure I get this right.
    2) Also, WinRar or UnRarX. I will get WinRar?
    I was rooted with easyroot until the update. I have BusyBox,Terminal Emulator and Rom Manager still installed.
    3) Should I uninstall these before I root?
    Again, just want to get this right the first time hopefully without problems.
    1. Yeah, Droid2Root.rar has busybox, su, Superuser.apk, and the rageagainstthecage binary--everything you need to root.
    2. UnRarX is a Mac application. It's what I used.
    3. I don't think you should have to uninstall anything. You probably don't need to reinstall BusyBox either. I have BusyBox v1.16.0, so if you have the same version, I would just skip installing it. You can always install it later anyway. Check with ROM Manager after you have rooted to re-flash ClockworkMod Recovery if necessary.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Help please!

I cannot even pass step one... I kept on saying "No such file or directory". I followed the instruction to download Droid2root and Android SDK and extract them to my Download folder. Do I have to do any extra step in the AdHere is what I typed in the Terminal:

computer:~ babetrang$ cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/
    computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb devices
    List of devices attached
    040388900B01601D device

computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

cannot stat '/Users/babetrang/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin': No such file or directory
    computer:tools babetrang$

What did I do wrong? Could you explain more in details what you meant by "You need the Android SDK. Here. Follow the instructions there. On my Mac, I didnít bother with the path, I just ran from the download folder"? I am running on Mac and not sure what else I need to do after downloading Android SDK.

Thanks!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Candytoo View Post
    What did I do wrong? Could you explain more in details what you meant by "You need the Android SDK. Here. Follow the instructions there. On my Mac, I didnít bother with the path, I just ran from the download folder"? I am running on Mac and not sure what else I need to do after downloading Android SDK.
    I wonder if your disk isn't formatted as case-sensitive. When I extracted Droid2Root.rar, the folder was called "Droid2Root", but my disk format is case-insensitive and it gave me no problems. That's the only reason I can think of for the computer not finding the file. When you type out the path, use the tab key to complete your folder and file names, and that should help you make sure they're typed correctly. Because it sounds like you've done everything right.

What I meant with the SDK was that I simply downloaded the tools, extracted the zip, but didn't bother placing any tools into a directory in my PATH. I did just what you were doing--I changed my directory to ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/ then ran adb by prefixing it with "./" to run them.

It looks like adb is running fine on your Mac. It found your device fine, so it shouldn't have any trouble pushing the file. It looks like adb just isn't finding the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file correctly. I think it's just a case-sensitivity issue. If your disk is case-insensitive (Disk Utility will report the disk as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)") then I'll try and think of what else might be causing the issue. Meanwhile, check and see if using "Droid2Root" as the directory name instead of "droid2root" fixes the problem. Let me know if you still run into trouble.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    [quote=Pir8Bob;854213]
    Quote Originally Posted by Candytoo View Post

It looks like adb is running fine on your Mac. It found your device fine, so it shouldn't have any trouble pushing the file. It looks like adb just isn't finding the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file correctly. I think it's just a case-sensitivity issue. If your disk is case-insensitive (Disk Utility will report the disk as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)") then I'll try and think of what else might be causing the issue. Meanwhile, check and see if using "Droid2Root" as the directory name instead of "droid2root" fixes the problem. Let me know if you still run into trouble.
    My disk is case-insensitive (Disk Utility says Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I haven't tried what you suggested yet, I will still try it anyway and let you know if it works...
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Ok, I found out the issue. After I extracted the Droid2Root to my Downloads folder, it created a subfolder Droid2Root under the Droid2Root folder, that's why it didn't recognize the Rage binary. Now I have another issue (sadness), I cannot change the working directory to where I put the Rage binary (cd /data/local/tmp), it says "cd: permission denied". See below:

computer:~ babetrang$ cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/
    computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb devices
    List of devices attached
    040388900B01601D device

computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

402 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.013s)
    computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb shell
    $ 
cd /data/local/tmp

cd: permission denied
    $
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    so I'm assuming my adb isn't working since it's not listing my device.... what do?
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrewster View Post
    so I'm assuming my adb isn't working since it's not listing my device.... what do?
    ok, got it to find my device now I'm stuck at where the guy above me is...... HELP.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Problem with root

./adb devices
    ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

./adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

that all goes well after that the next "./adb devices" returns with ((./adb: not found))

Droid X running 2.2

This is my first root so sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Also doing this on Mac OS X 10.6.4 if that matters.

Thanks for the help
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlasReborn View Post
    ./adb devices
    ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

./adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

that all goes well after that the next "./adb devices" returns with ((./adb: not found))

Droid X running 2.2

This is my first root so sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Also doing this on Mac OS X 10.6.4 if that matters.

Thanks for the help
    I did this on my Mac (Snow Leopard) too. Did it return your to your prompt on your Mac? You should see your normal bash prompt return. It takes a few minutes. If so, just make sure you're still in the tools directory of your Android SDK. (The "not found" is because it's either trying to run adb on your device or because you aren't in the tools directory.)

I should mention I have a Droid 1, not a Droid X. I can't verify that these instructions work on a Droid X, although I believe the Droid2Root binaries are the same for rooting both devices. You might want to find instructions specific to a Droid X. If you deodex, go to the link provided at the top of the page and follow their instructions, because they were dodexing a Droid X.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links