DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: disappearing sms messages

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
    I had used task killer to turn the native Messaging app off - so turning it back on now to see if this fixes this issue. If not think, Handcent will have to go - which is a pity.
    And therein lies your problem. Handcent and the Native app use the same data structures and underlying inforation. You cannot kill the native messaging application. You are saving nothing in memory and goofing up the underlying storage. Leave it be and you will see better results.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Angry

My problem is I will be notified in the the notification bar I have a new text message. I pull the bar down and click on message to open it and the message is blank when before I opened it I could see a sample of the message of the first few words, but once message is opened nothing is there. This all happens randomly at its own will and I'm constantly telling people to resend message to me cause the Droid has a bad bug issue with the messaging system. Sometimes when I have already read the message and go back to refer to something or to reply back it is gone. Sometimes also when go to reply back to someone it will end sending it to another person not intended that had sent me message earlier to my text inbox.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    And again... what apps do you have installed? How many messages do you have saved on the phone? Are you killing tasks with ATK? Because Android alone does not have the bugs you describe (at least not in my experience). I'm not questioning what you are saying... I am just saying that there is a "reason"
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use advanced task manager to end apps and processes. It showed the problem within first week of owning the phone ad I got it on November 10th. I remember some of the first few apps I installed on phone by not all. I may try a factory default reset and update phone also. Some of the original apps o still have on phone off the top of head are Google sky maps, con flip, pshyco,music search, shazam, and a few others. And how can I retrieve my contacts from gmail. Didn't see an option or link in my gmail account. I have imported contacts to my SD card into the vfile or vcard, which ever it was called. Is ATK better than Advanced Task Manager in your opinion?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    ATK *is* Advanced Task Killer. There is nothing wrong with the app per se, except for people doing way too much task killing. And causing corruption to underlying systems. Just let the OS do its job and handle memory, and I think you will find far less problems.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    ^^I'm with Jay on this one, people seem way way too quick to use ATK to kill tasks without realizing they may be needed for proper operation of the OS.

I use the txt messaging app quite frequently and have yet to have an issue.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Talking

I have erased a lot of my apps and still have problem and I let The task manager do its job. I don't feel comfortable ending most process unless I know exactly what it does. Many people have the same problem I have. It's all over the internet, that's how I found this forum after searching Google. Next step for is to back up my contacts and pics and do a factory default reset. And if problem persists then its time for a new phone. This may just be a small bug with a New phone which is normal on the market. It takes us the customers to put input in so the company knows where any problems are. I love this phone and would not trade for a new make or model. For it does as much as most PC's with only a few things it doesn't, very few. This only a minor problem that may not have anything to do with the system, but may only have something to do with one of the apps I have installed conflicting with the text message system. When I do the Factory Default Reset I wil know for sure. This phone possessed this qwirk in the first week of owning 3 days after release date, like I said this phone is worth the problem, its only minor. I just now went to check a new message and it was gone before I could read, it is annoying.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Tonight out of nowhere and without warning all of my saved text messages disappeared. I am using handcent, have delete old messages disabled on the native app, and had about 1018 messages stored. A lot, but nowhere near capacity of the memory card. I wonder if this is an issue with the software or the network.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

All my SMSs have disappeared 3 times now

Bought the Droid approximately 3 weeks ago. Have gotten all the updates. I have never installed Handcent, but I had installed the "SMS unread count" app.

Since day one my settings have dictated no limit on my SMS messages and to never delete anything.

The first time happened one week ago. My Droid froze up, so unable to reset it, I had to pull the battery out. Once i replaced it, all my messages were gone. I can't remember what I was doing to make the Droid freeze, because it had never behaved poorly until then.

The last 2 times happened close together, within the past week. During both times, I was using the messaging app, and recevied a "SMS Unread Count app had unexpectedly quit" error which forced me to close. Immediately after that, I found all my messages had been purged. I have since deleted that particular application (yesterday) and am waiting for it to happen again.

Looking for a good SMS backup app.

-ww
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by wwspeeds View Post
    Bought the Droid approximately 3 weeks ago. Have gotten all the updates. I have never installed Handcent, but I had installed the "SMS unread count" app.

Since day one my settings have dictated no limit on my SMS messages and to never delete anything.

The first time happened one week ago. My Droid froze up, so unable to reset it, I had to pull the battery out. Once i replaced it, all my messages were gone. I can't remember what I was doing to make the Droid freeze, because it had never behaved poorly until then.

The last 2 times happened close together, within the past week. During both times, I was using the messaging app, and recevied a "SMS Unread Count app had unexpectedly quit" error which forced me to close. Immediately after that, I found all my messages had been purged. I have since deleted that particular application (yesterday) and am waiting for it to happen again.

Looking for a good SMS backup app.

-ww
    mybackup pro
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links