DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wont sync up to my wifi...

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR

wont sync up to my wifi...

i just got a netgear rangemax wireless router and the droid will not connect to it. it did a few times and now it tells me the connection is excellent..but then the droid disconnects...i even tried it within inches of the router..any help is much appreciated...ps..i am running an imac with the latest snow leopard...
    Last edited by vonfink13; 11-06-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: missed a word
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    I had the same thing. It would connect then disconnect. I forgot I have MAC Addresses enabled. Also make sure you check the SSID and WEP keys if you use that type of security.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    do you do those things on the computer or the droid...??..sorry for being a big dummy....
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    My home network wasn't broadcasting its SSID. This works fine for the Mac and PC laptops (5 in all). Has worked fine for years.

The Droid will let me type in the SSID (aka network name) and then says the network is out of range (or something similiar). I messed around with it to no avail and finally turned on the SSID broadcast at the router.

BINGO!

The Droid then saw it, asked for the password, and connected quickly. The WiFi then worked great. I turned off the SSID broadcast back at the router and the Droid immediately lost connection and again told me the network was out of range.

I solved it by leaving SSID broadcast ON. I hate doing that, but I suppose the Bad Guys who would want to break into my home network probably have the tools to sniff out the un-broadcast SSID anyway, so leaving it ON probably doesn't hurt. Much.

But I wish Google (or Motorola or Verizon) would push out a fix for this obvious bug.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Quote Originally Posted by vonfink13 View Post
    do you do those things on the computer or the droid...??..sorry for being a big dummy....
    The settings would be on the router itself that you would need to access through your computer.
    Am I excited for Droid?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    thank you..i went in and took off all security on the router and now i am hooked up..what sort of trouble can i get in by just leaving this open..??
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    thank you..i went in and took off all security on the router and now i am hooked up..what sort of trouble can i get in by just leaving this open..??
    Plenty of trouble. Basically, anyone can connect to your wireless network which means on the other side of your router (i.e out on the Internet itself), THEY APPEAR TO BE YOU. So if there are Bad Guys using your network, doing stuff the Men With Guns don't like, then it's YOU whose door is going to get kicked in at 3am while the swat team rushes into your house.

OK, that will probably never happen. But it could. That's why you need some security. WPA preferably. WEP can be cracked in under a minute by a really good professional hacker.

Another reason an unsecured wireless network is bad is that some Bad Guy can use way more bandwidth than you're paying for and your ISP is going to expect YOU to pay for it. Since from their PoV it was YOUR network that sucked down all those bits. And you'd better hope the Bad Guy isn't downloading pirated movies or music, or the RIAA and MPAA might sue you too.

Again, unlikely, but it's happened thousands of times already...
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    has anyone found a way to have your security on and use the wifi on the droid..looks like i am gonna take the router back and just use the 3g...
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    has anyone found a way to have your security on and use the wifi on the droid..looks like i am gonna take the router back and just use the 3g...

Don't take the router back. Just set it up with basic security. Like WEP on either run "mixed" mode so all the bands are available. Let the SSID be seen and turn off mac filtering. You should be able to do both and be ok. I'm not sure where you live but how many "bad guys" are in your neighborhood? IMHO some of those extra security steps are nice but unnecessary
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have a Linksys (by Cisco) Wireless 802.11N router (WRT310N) set up with "WPA2 Personal" using TKIP or AES set for "mixed" (works with B, G and N variants of 802.11). I have "broadcast SSID" set to on.

It works great with my Motorola Droid, connects even faster than my MacBook Pro!

WEP is seriously flawed, and WPA came out in 2003 to replace it. WPA2 in 2004. If you care to know more, or be convinced of WPA's superiority, go to Wired Equivalent Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- but I suppose WEP is better than nothing, as it will keep out the honest and ignorant people. Where by "ignorant" I mean folks who turn on their device and see a bunch of unsecured wireless networks and don't know which one they are SUPPOSED to use so they just pick one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links