DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wont sync up to my wifi...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarc View Post
    My home network wasn't broadcasting its SSID. This works fine for the Mac and PC laptops (5 in all). Has worked fine for years.

The Droid will let me type in the SSID (aka network name) and then says the network is out of range (or something similiar). I messed around with it to no avail and finally turned on the SSID broadcast at the router.

BINGO!

The Droid then saw it, asked for the password, and connected quickly. The WiFi then worked great. I turned off the SSID broadcast back at the router and the Droid immediately lost connection and again told me the network was out of range.

I solved it by leaving SSID broadcast ON. I hate doing that, but I suppose the Bad Guys who would want to break into my home network probably have the tools to sniff out the un-broadcast SSID anyway, so leaving it ON probably doesn't hurt. Much.

But I wish Google (or Motorola or Verizon) would push out a fix for this obvious bug.
    I've had exactly the same problem. A "private" home network. Even Windoze allows a setting to "connect even if network is not broadcasting". Android/Motorolla needs to add this support.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The problem that I've found with Wifi and my Droid was with me phone, I could connect to a wireless router that was either open, running WEP, or WPA2. For some reason, if the access point was running WPA it would not connect. The other thing that it COULD be is the Droid's hardware may not be able to handle AES encryption for WPA/WPA2 networks. You could try changing your security to WPA with TKIP or WPA2 with AES or TKIP and see what happens.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Do what I do to ensure security with the ssid enabled or disabled use your mac address filter so you only allow the mac addys of the devices that you approve of.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A-855
    Hmarc, I am using the droid with great success on a non-broadcast ssid. The droid picks the network up immediately. I have security turned off and use mac filtering for all connections. I am using a dlink wireless router.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Works for a day...

I'm using a Netgear WNR834Bv2 - with the latest firmware update they ever had.

The only issue I've had is that every couple of days, I'll find the Droid connects...has the IP...thinks its connected, but when I go into the router admin pages and look at the connected device list, the Droid is absent. I've tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the phone. You can see the router give out the IP....and the it drops.

The only "solution" I found is that running on WPA2 AES works great for a day or so...and then for no reason, I've found that changing max speed to 54Mbps on the router "fixed" the problem. A day later...issue came back...changed back to 130Mbps..."fixed"....

It's an annoyance. I'm still within my 30 days of getting the phone. I wish there was easy to way to tell that the problem is with the phone over the router. I'd rather not swap the phone just to find I have the same problems. From the research I've done online I'm not the only one who's having the issue...so I don't know.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links