DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Droid Doesn't

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1570 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflo88 View Post
    @dejavoo: for heaven sake, it's phone and i'll be happy what it does now, only in beta.Btw, it's FREE! If this was an iphone nobody would have say anything.
    Actually an IPhone user I know asked to use my droid for Nav the other day . Even he knows what doesn't
    Careful you may want to check the device for explosive charges.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    I love thoughts that include "all you have to do it" They are always so self serving and pointless.

Looking at it another way, the Droid did a better job at making a phone into a Navigation device than Garmin did in making a Navigation Device into a phone (which I guess is why it is on at&t... but I digress).

No, the Navigation is not up to the task of having every feature a one trick pony of a GPS has... yet... but in a year from now, I will have updated maps... will you? (for another $80 you will I guess)... oh and how about that streetview? Oh, I'm sorry you don't have that either right? Oh, but there is a library full of car graphics you can download into it... so you got that over the Droid too. Sheesh.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    I will agree with most of these statements, the thing i will add is this. In the past week i have been able to at least update google maps twice. The biggest upgrade was the ability to view terrain and other awesome layers on the maps. It's funny how people complain not only about a product that is in beta, but that has only been out for a month.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    xhaxol
    Phone
    G Nexus
    Well technically you can. Like if I want to save my home address as a favorite: I already have my wife as a contact, I go in and edit the contact and add the home address. So if am am lost and need to go home I can 1. go to the contact and pick navigate from the contact, which appears after you add an address. Or 2. once you contact has an address when in the maps in the search you type your contacts name and the address gets pre-filled. I guess we are not usto useing it this way but it makes a lot of sense. We are not usto having all our contacts on our garmins or tom toms but on the phone if you just put their address in under contacts its just like having favorites. Any how I like the navigation more than my current garmin.
    joined AA (android anonymous). Turns out the program feeds my addiction rather than squelch it. I dont mind though
    OG Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, and Now The Android Phone, The Galaxy Nexus
  5. Droid
    Member #
    dude trippin but there is always sumthin to be as i say EXTRA about lol. hell the maps is updatelike once a week it seems. the spot is sort of saved in the drop downlist.or you cant make a contact for these saved places then add from that. hell onstar cost me like 20 bucks a month and googles is as good if not better. i love it plus in the end you go the same places u kinda kno how to get there ummmm....
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by VitsDroid View Post
    Well technically you can. Like if I want to save my home address as a favorite: I already have my wife as a contact, I go in and edit the contact and add the home address. So if am am lost and need to go home I can 1. go to the contact and pick navigate from the contact, which appears after you add an address. Or 2. once you contact has an address when in the maps in the search you type your contacts name and the address gets pre-filled. I guess we are not usto useing it this way but it makes a lot of sense. We are not usto having all our contacts on our garmins or tom toms but on the phone if you just put their address in under contacts its just like having favorites. Any how I like the navigation more than my current garmin.
    I've never owned a Garmin or any other GPS unit besides my Droid and this is exactly how I use it.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID
    I've been adding GPS shortcuts to a folder on my home screen. Press Menu key, Add > Shortcuts > Directions. Then I pull up google maps in sat mode and get the actual GPS coordinates 31.xxx,-91.xxx ect and put those numbers in the Destination field on the Droid. Gives you very precise directions to where ever you wanna go. I've attached screenshots for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Doesn't-100_0382.jpg   Droid Doesn't-100_0384.jpg  
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejavoo View Post
    I have read alot of people that say they love the GPS on the Droid. I and many others are very frustrated because it lacks one feature that all GPS have in common except for the Droid's. The problem I am talking about is being able to save your current location or add waypoints. I also have a Garmin Nuvi but Droid doesn't come close to it if you can't save locations. This would be a real simple fix, simply touch your current location and have it bring up a screen asking if you would like to save your current location. From there all you would need to add is a folder to save your favorites in. Until then I have to keep using my Garmin.
    I don't know about waypoints but you can save locations for sure though
    Like I have a Home shortcut and a few other directions saved as shortcuts. Long press on any home screen, select shortcut, then select Directions. This will take you to the screen where you can put a destination address. What I did was created a folder called Addresses then dump all those direction shortcuts in there.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW GS3
    Look, I'm a hardcore road warrior. Will this replace my dedicated GPS unit? No, not at this stage. IMHO, this caters to the occasional GPS user who doesn't want to or need a dedicated GPS unit. This fits that demographic very well. So yes, hardcore users find the features in the Google Nav lacking but I use mine all the time in a pinch. In fact, prior to the Droid, I'd use my BB maps to search POI's near me as they were often more up to date than those in my GPS unit. I continue to do this with my Droid.

Cheerio!
    Erik
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    The other thing is that you can log into your google account and go to maps, and create a layer that has all your favorite waypoints. This way you can add the layer onto the maps and you can then move between the points with ease. This is something you should try if nothing else. I have a layer with certain waypoints, and it works amazing.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links