DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparent GPS Failure

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!

Apparent GPS Failure

It seems I may have a bum GPS. It will not find my location via GPS.

Under locations, I have "Use GPS satellites" selected.

I installed the "GPS Status" app and it showed a total of 8 satellites but the Droid would not lock onto any of them even after several minutes of standing in the middle of a pasture on a relatively clear evening.

Any suggestions before returning this to Verizon for a warranty swapout?
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Droid will not find GPS

I just bought the droid toda and even the verizon rep could not get the gps to pick up the anything other than towers. It just kept searching for satelites. Without satelites the turn by turn voice navigation will not work.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Bummer - left the store, hit the Googlemaps app, and it guided my home with a better screen/visualization than my factory BMW Nav (really)!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    Ever take your car to the mechanic with a chronic problem...?

I waited in line for 20+ minutes to talk with a tech support person who hadn't really even touched a Droid before I handed her mine and explained the problem and the steps I'd taken. She fumbled around for a moment and finally asked where the verizon nav program was. I explained that it didn't come with that because it had google maps and she asked me to demonstrate the problem. I was fairly impressed with her willingness to try and fix the problem on a phone she wasn't familiar with and a program she'd never used.

I opened google maps, touched the settings button, and pressed "my location." Three seconds later, inside the Verizon store, the map shifts and a blue dot appears in the proper place on the map. Grrrr. No wait, happy!

I step outside, hit the GPS Status app and I'm locked onto twelve sats. Sweet! I have no idea what the problem was but it seems to be functioning just fine now.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I'm having the same problem with finding the GPS satellites. Similarly, I have "Use GPS Satellites" selected, but the Droid never finds them. I too installed "GPS Status", but it has never shown any satellites, and the searching indicator continuously circles. I've been outside with no overhead obstructions for hours at a time ... but to no avail. It will not find any satellites. Have others had this problem ... and have you been able to fix it?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    Grrr...well, after having it miraculously function flawlessly in and after leaving the Verizon store yesterday, my GPS is not functioning again.

Now, GPS test doesn't even show the satellites that it won't lock onto, it doesn't even show that any satellites are there. I'll have to take it back to Verizon this week.
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris

Unhappy

Crud, I'm having the exact same issue and the exact same experience when I went into the Verizon store.
    When I go into browser google identifies my location correctly, it's just in maps for me.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Try one thing, turn off the GPS function on the phone. Turn it off, then back on, then put the GPS back on and see what happens.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Try one thing, turn off the GPS function on the phone. Turn it off, then back on, then put the GPS back on and see what happens.
    Same problem as before. I'm backing up my apps and data now and will try a factory reset. I doubt that will fix it but it needs to be tried before attempting a swapout.
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work.
    I did the factory reset, it worked... for about 5 seconds, and I was quickly returned to the small Indian village I apparently inhabit.
    Phone was connected via wifi at the time, I feel like this is important.

There are a few variables in my situation, and otherwise the phone is quickly becoming my bff, so I am doing to try not get ocd over it and see what happens.
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Links