DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid rebooting

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have had a similar problem, but it is by no means a daily occurence. I've gone quite a while without a reboot and then today it happened twice. Once this afternoon while trying to pull down the notification window with an Astrid update and a few hours later while switching between home screens.

It worries me, but since it happens so sparingly I am inclined to wait for 2.0.1 to see what happens. My wife's updated phone makes mine seem sluggish, so I'm anxious to get it. I may just do the manual update if I don't receive it OTA tonight.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This has been happening to me over the last 2 days. rebooted about 7 times. has there been a resolution to this?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnote187 View Post
    This has been happening to me over the last 2 days. rebooted about 7 times. has there been a resolution to this?

I have a suspicion that the Droid is susceptible to misbehaving apps which overwrite system code or data. Two posters above applied the 2.0.1 patch and that rectified their problem, probably not because the patch fixed a problem but because the patch rewrote some system code or data that had been corrupted by an app. Before returning the phone I'd suggest saving what files/data you can and then doing a hard reset. Alternately, you may be able to reapply the patch - not sure if it will let you.

Edit: Might be good if everyone seeing this thread and having this problem post a list of the apps they have used prior to the problem appearing. Perhaps a specific culprit can be identified.
    Last edited by bbtkd; 12-26-2009 at 01:11 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    How do I backup and hard reset? or attempt to re apply the patch?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    [QUOTE=Cnote187;99820]How do I backup and hard reset? or attempt to re apply the patch?[/QUOTE

You should verify it but your contacts, calendar, gmail, mms, and sms should already be synced to google. That leaves your apps and their files. I use MyBackup Pro to back app files up to the SD card. The safe thing would be to buy that, get a backup, and then copy it to your PC. Or MyBackup Pro can copy the backup to their server. Then you should just need to worry about your apps. I have never had to do a factory reset or reload myself (yet) but I hear that after doing one it reloads your apps. Just in case, I'd write down the apps you have.

The hard reset instructions are to go into SETTINGS>PRIVACY>Factory Data Reset. There are directions out there for a hard reset, so if the Factory Data Reset doesn't do it then a hard reset is in order. Remember that as much of a pain as this is, it's the same hassle you'd have if you get a new phone.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank you so much, did the backup and fac reset. I will report back my findings.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Storm (9530) IS GONE! DROID!
    If the reset doesn't work, rake your phone back to Verizon's and get a new one. I had the same issue, And vertigo a new one fixed the problem. They replaced it hassel free.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    They would not replace it , stating this was a software issue and not hardware. mind u I have not had this device 30 days as of yet. the only thing they did was a complete wipe
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    loonymike
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Both my wife and I have Droids and it never fails at about 7 - 10 days it will need either a battery pull or a reboot. Than everything is fine again. In my opinion these are hand held computers which needs a reboot now and than. I have given up looking for that perfect smart phone. I think the Droid is as close as I am going to get at this point.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links